Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Fender Splash Shields(R+L Side) + Engine Cover Splash Shield + Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 07:24 PM
bradkculp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Fender Splash Shields(R+L Side) + Engine Cover Splash Shield + Bumper

(If you want full story start reading now. If you want cliff notes, skip down until you see: )

So, when I bought my 04 350z earlier this year, I knew there was going to be some things I was going to need to get taken care of cosmetically.

But, after a terrible rain storm, leaving 4 inches of water in a parking lot one night and the next day, 4 more inches on an interstate highway (IH-35), both times hydro-locking the engine because of where my intake sits.

**See first image attached for visual proof**
(YES, I know that filter is disgusting and now rusted too. New one already ordered.)

So, I decided I was going to get the driver side splash guard, at which point I realized that without the engine splash guard, I'm still Which added that to my list.

**See second image attached for visual proof**

Then my roommate backed into the front of my car, so new front bumper got added to the equation at that point.

**See third image attached for visual proof**

And finally, driving down the road over the weekend, I saw something fly under my car. Thought it was just debris on the road. NO, it was my passenger side Splash shield; so now I have (almost) none of them.

**See fourth image attached for visual proof**

Cliffnotes:

So, due do a series of both planned and unfortunate/unplanned circumstances,
I need:

---Splash Shield Fender Liner Driver Left Side Front
(Part Number 63845CD000)
---Splash Shield Fender Liner Passenger Right Side Front
(Part Number 63844CD000)
---Engine Cover Splash Shield Under Tray
(Part number 75892CD00A)
---Front Bumper (Black, OEM or Aftermarket)

(And since the rear isn't pristine, if I can find one cheap, why not.)
---Rear Bumper (Black, OEM or Aftermarket)

---The Wheel well splash guards are on ebay for ~$25 each, so that's not bad.
---And I was able to find a guy that will paint match a new (aftermaket OEM look) front bumper for $340.00. Would prefer OEM better, but for $340, its hard to beat....
BUT
---The best price I've been able to find on the engine splash guard is $119.00.

What I want to know is: is this the best way to go about fixing everything, or can someone give me some insight as to a better, yet cost effective way to take care of all of this at once.
Attached Thumbnails Front Fender Splash Shields(R+L Side) + Engine Cover Splash Shield + Bumper-img_1210.jpg   Front Fender Splash Shields(R+L Side) + Engine Cover Splash Shield + Bumper-img_1217.jpg   Front Fender Splash Shields(R+L Side) + Engine Cover Splash Shield + Bumper-img_1214.jpg   Front Fender Splash Shields(R+L Side) + Engine Cover Splash Shield + Bumper-img_1211.jpg  

Last edited by bradkculp; 09-29-2014 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Found rear strut cover!
Old 09-29-2014, 07:25 PM
bradkculp

P.S. not sure why thumbnails are rotated like crazy. Just click on them and the zoomed image will be right.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:41 PM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

An aftermarket OEM-style front bumper will fit horribly, do not cheap out on major body parts; I speak from personal experience.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:45 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Z parts arent cheap period. This is what most people dont understan when it comes to whether they can afford a car or not.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:47 PM
bradkculp

Originally Posted by pyshin
An aftermarket OEM-style front bumper will fit horribly, do not cheap out on major body parts; I speak from personal experience.
I've heard some bad stories in the past...Used to spend a lot of time on the BMW forums.

But, can it be done, and done correctly? The reason I ask is that I'm not the king of the garage by any means, but my brother is, so if it can be done and have all the lines match, I have no doubt we could get it.

I just don't have $500-$1000 for a bumper at this point, so puts me in a bit of a dilemma.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:49 PM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by bradkculp
I've heard some bad stories in the past...Used to spend a lot of time on the BMW forums.

But, can it be done, and done correctly? The reason I ask is that I'm not the king of the garage by any means, but my brother is, so if it can be done and have all the lines match, I have no doubt we could get it.

I just don't have $500-$1000 for a bumper at this point, so puts me in a bit of a dilemma.
Make the dude that hit your car pay for it them. Can it be done? DUH anything is possible. Will you and your bro do it? Likely not.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:52 PM
bradkculp

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Z parts arent cheap period. This is what most people dont understan when it comes to whether they can afford a car or not.
I'm aware. This isn't my first pricy after-purchase car nor is it my first Z. It just worked out this time that other, larger/more important expenses have to take precedent over the car for the time being.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:56 PM
bradkculp

Make the dude that hit your car pay for it them. Can it be done? DUH anything is possible. Will you and your bro do it? Likely not.
He probably will help pay some.
As far as the rest of your post. Thanks for the lovely cliché and baseless response.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:58 PM
turboed350z

I'm aware. This isn't my first pricy after-purchase car nor is it my first Z. It just worked out this time that other, larger/more important expenses have to take precedent over the car for the time being.
Not to be rude but this kind of subject just irks me. People think simply because they can buy something means they can afford it. Not the case. Idk you finacial stust nor do I care. The truth is most dont understand that being able to afford something means being able to maintain it and keep it in working order.

As the obve have said, go oem. Even with oem, you will have gaps and fitment issues. So whats you think cheap knock offs are going to be better? Trust me I know. My cousin has a veilside front bumper and fitment was so bad he put stock back on. Attention to detqil might not be your strong point, but many **** enthusiasts would look at your car and consider it a half *** job simpky becauae fitment is off.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:59 PM
turboed350z

He probably will help pay some.
As far as the rest of your post. Thanks for the lovely cliché and baseless response.

Do none of you have insurrance? He hit YOU his fault, make him pay for ALL of it and get the job done right
Old 09-29-2014, 08:38 PM
bradkculp

Not to be rude but this kind of subject just irks me. People think simply because they can buy something means they can afford it. Not the case. Idk you finacial stust nor do I care. The truth is most dont understand that being able to afford something means being able to maintain it and keep it in working order.

As the obve have said, go oem. Even with oem, you will have gaps and fitment issues. So whats you think cheap knock offs are going to be better? Trust me I know. My cousin has a veilside front bumper and fitment was so bad he put stock back on. Attention to detqil might not be your strong point, but many **** enthusiasts would look at your car and consider it a half *** job simpky becauae fitment is off.
Well just for ***** and giggles, my financial status is buying a home and paying my fiancé's tuition so she can finish school and not work for now. So yes, you are in a way correct in that I can't afford the best [i]cosmetic[/] parts for my toy car (not my daily driver), which, this one, I bought only a few month ago, so no, as of today the car is not maintained like it should be on account of the previous owner.

As far as OEM/non-OEM and fitment maybe you're right, but I'm not looking for a forever solution. I just want to be able to drive it every without a busted bumper.

Which is worse:
---busted bumper
---lines maybe off by a couple degrees for the next 6 months. Not to mention I do have a full shop + mechanic at my disposal.

Just saying. I'm not some punkass kid, like you assume I am, that said hey, there's a cool fast car, I want that one. But I do, in fact, have priorities and my toy car is not at the top of this list.

Last edited by bradkculp; 09-29-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:39 PM
bradkculp

Do none of you have insurrance? He hit YOU his fault, make him pay for ALL of it and get the job done right
He's gonna throw in on it. I'm not gonna make my best friend **** his insurance over a few hundred dollars.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:52 PM
turboed350z

Alli have left to say is, you get what younpay for and a chitty job with cheap parts would be recorgnizeable.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:02 PM
bradkculp

Alli have left to say is, you get what younpay for and a chitty job with cheap parts would be recorgnizeable.
How much easier would it have been to have just said that from the beginning instead of trying to attack me for asking a question? Forums used to be around to help people. Guess everyone reads/writes too many YouTube comments and feels better about themselves being able to be a douche from their keyboard.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:28 AM
craig12895

Received 160 Likes on 129 Posts

Take turboed's advice here. I bought a cheap knock-off spoiler a little while back for just a few hundred. Ended up having to put down another 500 just to get the thing to fit. Then paint costs came in and its still very easy to see that its a cheap knock-off.

By the time you get the cheap parts to fit decently, you can basically afford the nicer ones so just keep that in mind.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:41 AM
turboed350z

How much easier would it have been to have just said that from the beginning instead of trying to attack me for asking a question? Forums used to be around to help people. Guess everyone reads/writes too many YouTube comments and feels better about themselves being able to be a douche from their keyboard.
If you feel attacked that's your problem. I haven't attacked you once. I simply stated that people need to understand the difference between being able to buy a car and being able to afford it.

Yes the oem parts are expensive. But that's part of being able to afford the car. It keeps it out of bratty teens hands for the most part. The car brand new was 35-40k that's the same as a bmw. Parts needs to be in part with bmw. And quality costs.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:33 AM
bradkculp

If you feel attacked that's your problem. I haven't attacked you once. I simply stated that people need to understand the difference between being able to buy a car and being able to afford it.

Yes the oem parts are expensive. But that's part of being able to afford the car. It keeps it out of bratty teens hands for the most part. The car brand new was 35-40k that's the same as a bmw. Parts needs to be in part with bmw. And quality costs.
I agree, and you would be completely correct if I were going cheap because I can't afford it. I'm going cheap for a few months so it'll at least look like a whole car instead of half of one.

Originally Posted by craig12895
Take turboed's advice here. I bought a cheap knock-off spoiler a little while back for just a few hundred. Ended up having to put down another 500 just to get the thing to fit. Then paint costs came in and its still very easy to see that its a cheap knock-off.

By the time you get the cheap parts to fit decently, you can basically afford the nicer ones so just keep that in mind.
I know I should, but I'd rather it look decent as opposed to **** for the next couple months while my new house closes. Then I can stick the bumper on craigslist, probably get most of my money back on it. And while I've got the car torn apart, start some real fun under the hood.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:44 AM
turboed350z

I agree, and you would be completely correct if I were going cheap because I can't afford it. I'm going cheap for a few months so it'll at least look like a whole car instead of half of one.

I know I should, but I'd rather it look decent as opposed to **** for the next couple months while my new house closes. Then I can stick the bumper on craigslist, probably get most of my money back on it. And while I've got the car torn apart, start some real fun under the hood.
That's more head ache than it's worth. Try going to a junk yard and picking up an oem bumper from a z that got rear ended. Ebay might also have them pop up from time to time.