Sponsored by:

06 Convertible Storage Lid Issue - Weird One

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 06:23 AM
Stephen_Neri

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool 06 Convertible Storage Lid Issue - Weird One

Hey guys,

I got a weird issue here. I have looked all over to see if anyone has had an issue like mine but couldn't find anything.

When trying to put my top down the convertible storage lid opens and the stops after a few inches. I can continue to hit the button and hear some sort of motor click behind the driver seat and each time I hit the open button for the top the lid opens about an inch more. After it opens 80% of the way it will open all the way continuously.

The top goes down perfectly and the storage lid goes down and latches perfectly.

Now when I go to open the storage lid to close the top there is no issue at all. The storage lid opens right up with one push, top comes out and latches to the top of the car. Storage lid goes down and top latches onto the storage lid.

Any idea what would be causing this? Are there different motors that control the storage lid depending on if the top is down or not?

Thank for your help guys.

Edit: I found a few videos on youtube with someone who had the same problem but they don't have any updates on what the issue was or how to fix it. They're both less than 30 seconds but it shows what's happening.

Last edited by Stephen_Neri; 08-25-2017 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Added links to youtube videos
The following users liked this post:
cobra1616 (08-12-2019)
Old 08-25-2017, 09:15 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

I an certainly no expert but here's 2 cents.

The ZR roof and tonneau system has lots of switches and relays that send info back to the top-controller. It's job is to make sure things happen in the correct sequence. I have been lucky, only had to replace DIY my canvas top.

I would look at 3 main things.
1. When you release the front overhead handle, does the amber "top open" light come on? If not, replace that switch.
2. The top will only move with brake pedal applied. Confirm your brake light/pedal is working consistently.
3. These cars are known for poor quality window motors, and the top has several of these too. Peel back the vinyl covering to see how it works. It could be you need to clean out or replace the tonneau motor.
Gl, let us know how you solve it.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:30 PM
ptwinkle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I have this same issue. Did you get it fixed? What did you do?
Thanks!!
Old 10-19-2018, 07:10 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Originally Posted by ptwinkle
Hi! I have this same issue. Did you get it fixed? What did you do?
Thanks!!
op hasnt logged in since the post... might be waiting a while for an answer
ptwinkle (10-19-2018)
Old 07-31-2020, 06:59 AM
53Starliner

Default Storage lid issue

I'm experiencing the same issue with my 04 Roadster. Storage lid stops while in the open top sequence (shortly after the fifth bow motor has retracted the convertible top. Like yours, the storage lid opens perfectly each time to begin the close top sequence (in which the convertible top is stowed and is in the process of being put back up). According to the Nissan service manual, the problem is occurring during OP6. Sometimes the lid works as it should. Other times it does not. It's an intermittent problem.

Rule outs:
1. Storage lid acutators (the 2 motors that drive the storage lid up and then down): If it was a motor issue, then the lid should theoretically hang up in both the open and close sequence. Mine has never experienced any type of problem when beginning the close sequence in which the top is stowed and the opening of storage lid is the first step in the sequence. And anyway, I just had both motors rebuilt and it's still happening.
2. Any mechanical issue such as not enough grease, mechanism binding, etc. This is ruled out for the same reason as number 1.
3. Temperature, etc. This does not appear to effect the problem as it remains intermittent in all conditions. (I live in central Florida).

Observations
1. When disconnecting the battery for about 30 minutes, then reconnecting it and then starting the sequence, the storage lid operates properly. No issues at all. I've tried this during a cold sequence in which the vehicle has sat overnight, and when I've just completed a top up-top down sequence. Works perfectly each time after disconnect/reconnect of battery.
2. The issue tends to occur less frequently if the top up/top down sequence has been recently completed (ie, within the 5-30 minutes), although this is not 100%. It just seems to happen LESS frequently, but not always.

Speculations

1. Year of vehicle: I'm wondering if this issue occurs with greater frequency with earlier (03-06) than later cars. I would be interested to hear from other owners to find the year of their storage-lid issue cars.
2. Fifth-bow full open detection module: Since this module operates just before the storage lid opens at the start of the top being put down sequence, could this be the culprit? This module does not come into play at all when the top is stowed and the storage lid opens at the beginning of the "putting the top back up cause it's gonna rain" cycle.
3. Roof full open detection switch for the same reasons as above.
4. Soft top control unit: this unit is located in the trunk between the two storage lid acutators (motors). This could be an issue for two reasons:
a. The battery disconnect/connect method may be resetting the module so it works properly, although temporarily.
b. Nissan made a change in the part number at some point, indicating a change was made in the module, possibly to address the issue in later vehicles. (Again, knowing the years of vehicles with this issue would be helpful). The two soft top control unit part numbers are 285C1 CE400 and then 285C1 CE400.

Well, that's my two cents... Would love to hear from others who are having this issue!

Steve

Old 08-07-2020, 08:52 PM
Jody Johnston

Originally Posted by 53Starliner
I'm experiencing the same issue with my 04 Roadster. Storage lid stops while in the open top sequence (shortly after the fifth bow motor has retracted the convertible top. Like yours, the storage lid opens perfectly each time to begin the close top sequence (in which the convertible top is stowed and is in the process of being put back up). According to the Nissan service manual, the problem is occurring during OP6. Sometimes the lid works as it should. Other times it does not. It's an intermittent problem.

Rule outs:
1. Storage lid acutators (the 2 motors that drive the storage lid up and then down): If it was a motor issue, then the lid should theoretically hang up in both the open and close sequence. Mine has never experienced any type of problem when beginning the close sequence in which the top is stowed and the opening of storage lid is the first step in the sequence. And anyway, I just had both motors rebuilt and it's still happening.
2. Any mechanical issue such as not enough grease, mechanism binding, etc. This is ruled out for the same reason as number 1.
3. Temperature, etc. This does not appear to effect the problem as it remains intermittent in all conditions. (I live in central Florida).

Observations
1. When disconnecting the battery for about 30 minutes, then reconnecting it and then starting the sequence, the storage lid operates properly. No issues at all. I've tried this during a cold sequence in which the vehicle has sat overnight, and when I've just completed a top up-top down sequence. Works perfectly each time after disconnect/reconnect of battery.
2. The issue tends to occur less frequently if the top up/top down sequence has been recently completed (ie, within the 5-30 minutes), although this is not 100%. It just seems to happen LESS frequently, but not always.

Speculations

1. Year of vehicle: I'm wondering if this issue occurs with greater frequency with earlier (03-06) than later cars. I would be interested to hear from other owners to find the year of their storage-lid issue cars.
2. Fifth-bow full open detection module: Since this module operates just before the storage lid opens at the start of the top being put down sequence, could this be the culprit? This module does not come into play at all when the top is stowed and the storage lid opens at the beginning of the "putting the top back up cause it's gonna rain" cycle.
3. Roof full open detection switch for the same reasons as above.
4. Soft top control unit: this unit is located in the trunk between the two storage lid acutators (motors). This could be an issue for two reasons:
a. The battery disconnect/connect method may be resetting the module so it works properly, although temporarily.
b. Nissan made a change in the part number at some point, indicating a change was made in the module, possibly to address the issue in later vehicles. (Again, knowing the years of vehicles with this issue would be helpful). The two soft top control unit part numbers are 285C1 CE400 and then 285C1 CE400.

Well, that's my two cents... Would love to hear from others who are having this issue!

Steve

Hi Steve,
I have an 06 Roadster that is having this same exact problem. I just recently took out the two storage lid actuators and opened them up to look at the brushes condition to find that everything looked quite good. The brushes had about half life to them and the armatures were in pretty good shape, while out I cleaned them up and re-assembled and the problem persisted as before. I too find that the problem only exists after the top has not been cycled for a few days. After sitting a few days, when i first go to operate the top then the storage lid sticks on the way up, repeated pushes of the top open button it eventually finds its way. Closing has never presented itself to be an issue. Just after the first cycle, repeated cycles work flawlessly. I'm just starting to do my research into it so was looking where to go next when i stumbled across your explanation. Have you learned anything else?

Jody
Old 10-29-2022, 10:08 AM
kdrk1

Default Storage lid issue

Hi Jody,
I have the same issue with the lid not opening. Did you ever get resolution to your problem?
desperate to resolve this!!!’ TY
Old 10-29-2022, 03:28 PM
Jody Johnston

Hi kdrk,
I have absolutely resolved this. Just recently actually, but it's a long story. After lots of fiddling around with it, It turned out to be the deck lid motors. They appeared to be working okay since they would start the operation of opening the deck lid..... and I thought that they would either work or not work, but it is not that black and white. The motors had enough power to get the motion started but once the load on the motors increased as the deck lid got higher they did not have enough power to keep lifting it. Several pushes of the button would finish it off but would not go in one instance. I had the motors rebuilt with new brushes and that solved the problem completely. It took me some time to come to the decision to finally do that since when I took the motors apart the brushes didn't seem so bad. I used a service on ebay (Mike in Kissimmee, Florida) to get them rebuilt. The catch is that when I got them back from him they were not actually functioning. Which took me in a different direction since the top stopped altogether after that. Eventually I took the rebuilt motors apart to find that they new brushes he installed were not moving freely in the housing that holds them which was not allowing the brushes to make good contact to the armature of the motor. I reworked the new brushes a bit and got them moving freely in their housing and put them back together and the storage lid has been working flawlessly ever since. Not sure if this all makes sense, but feel free to ask any questions and I'll do the best I can to answer. I'm glad someone is reaching out actually because it took me a long time to resolve this issue and I'm happy to share my learnings.

Jody
Vaunswa (12-26-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 03:29 PM
Jody Johnston

Hi kdrk,
Are you handy with working on cars?
Jody

Last edited by Jody Johnston; 10-29-2022 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Hit wrong button
Old 10-30-2022, 06:17 AM
kdrk1

Default Thank you Jody

I had Mike rebuild all of my motors so I’ll go back and apply 12v to each side to make sure they work. Gosh never thought maybe the brushes weren’t seated correctly. If that doesn’t solve it I’ve seen the OP sequence in the shop manual for the roof. It goes through a series of electrical tests for these switches but I’m unclear how you test a switch if the lid isn’t open to get to it! I’m thinking it might be one of those switches on the bottom side of the lid by the 5th bow motor? Not clear where the 5th bow open and close switches are as the diagrams are confusing? Did you perform any of these tests? Thank you again this is so frustrating.

Originally Posted by Jody Johnston
Hi kdrk,
I have absolutely resolved this. Just recently actually, but it's a long story. After lots of fiddling around with it, It turned out to be the deck lid motors. They appeared to be working okay since they would start the operation of opening the deck lid..... and I thought that they would either work or not work, but it is not that black and white. The motors had enough power to get the motion started but once the load on the motors increased as the deck lid got higher they did not have enough power to keep lifting it. Several pushes of the button would finish it off but would not go in one instance. I had the motors rebuilt with new brushes and that solved the problem completely. It took me some time to come to the decision to finally do that since when I took the motors apart the brushes didn't seem so bad. I used a service on ebay (Mike in Kissimmee, Florida) to get them rebuilt. The catch is that when I got them back from him they were not actually functioning. Which took me in a different direction since the top stopped altogether after that. Eventually I took the rebuilt motors apart to find that they new brushes he installed were not moving freely in the housing that holds them which was not allowing the brushes to make good contact to the armature of the motor. I reworked the new brushes a bit and got them moving freely in their housing and put them back together and the storage lid has been working flawlessly ever since. Not sure if this all makes sense, but feel free to ask any questions and I'll do the best I can to answer. I'm glad someone is reaching out actually because it took me a long time to resolve this issue and I'm happy to share my learnings.

Jody
Old 10-30-2022, 07:23 AM
Jody Johnston

Originally Posted by kdrk1
I had Mike rebuild all of my motors so I’ll go back and apply 12v to each side to make sure they work. Gosh never thought maybe the brushes weren’t seated correctly. If that doesn’t solve it I’ve seen the OP sequence in the shop manual for the roof. It goes through a series of electrical tests for these switches but I’m unclear how you test a switch if the lid isn’t open to get to it! I’m thinking it might be one of those switches on the bottom side of the lid by the 5th bow motor? Not clear where the 5th bow open and close switches are as the diagrams are confusing? Did you perform any of these tests? Thank you again this is so frustrating.
Hi kdrk,
As I mentioned, it's not so simple as to apply a 12v supply to the motor without a load on them. They will turn with no issues with no load on them but when in the car trying to lift the heavy storage lid they don't have enough power to work through the entire operation. To be clear, it's not that the brushes weren't seated correctly but that they were not traveling freely to make a good pressure to the armature. If you disassemble the motor, slide the brush in the housing just by itself to see if it travels in the housing very freely so that the spring behind it is doing its job properly. As for the switches, I too was looking at limit switches and trying to figure out which one was not functioning properly but it ended up all being the motors. What is your specific issue? Is it that the storage lid starts/stops during the top up operation? Or are you having additional problems as well?

Last edited by Jody Johnston; 10-30-2022 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-29-2022, 10:46 AM
53Starliner

Default Storage Lid Issue

I was not able to ever completely resolve this issue, however I did make progress...
1. The lid failing to open completely coincides with the top not retracting completely, It opens slightly less than 90 degrees when the failure occurs, and it will open slightly more and closer to 90 degrees when operating correctly,
2. Disconnecting the battery for at least 20 minutes seems to have a positive effect (though not always). I always seemed to have better luck with the top operating correctly after disconnecting the battery.
3. When the fault occurs, I would count to ten, then try the switch again. Almost 100% of the time, the lid would move smoothly all the way up and the top would operate correctly.

Hope this helps!!
~Steve

Originally Posted by Stephen_Neri
Hey guys,

I got a weird issue here. I have looked all over to see if anyone has had an issue like mine but couldn't find anything.

When trying to put my top down the convertible storage lid opens and the stops after a few inches. I can continue to hit the button and hear some sort of motor click behind the driver seat and each time I hit the open button for the top the lid opens about an inch more. After it opens 80% of the way it will open all the way continuously.

The top goes down perfectly and the storage lid goes down and latches perfectly.

Now when I go to open the storage lid to close the top there is no issue at all. The storage lid opens right up with one push, top comes out and latches to the top of the car. Storage lid goes down and top latches onto the storage lid.

Any idea what would be causing this? Are there different motors that control the storage lid depending on if the top is down or not?

Thank for your help guys.

Edit: I found a few videos on youtube with someone who had the same problem but they don't have any updates on what the issue was or how to fix it. They're both less than 30 seconds but it shows what's happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4OM0jWq0Dg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioTOJYVGeYo
Old 06-28-2023, 03:21 AM
kdrk1

Hi Jody, it’s been a few years and I’ve been suffering by manually putting the top down and leaving it down all summer but I’m back at it trying to fix this darn issue with no success. There isn’t a dealer within 200 miles that has a clue how to fix and diagnose these imagine that! When trying to open the top, my seat goes forward, the windows retract and the 5th bow lifts the 5th bow up completely. Then I hear a clicking but the lock actuators for the storage lid do not pop to start the lid opening sequence. I’m thinking there is a switch that gets activated once the 5th bow is fully open that triggers the unlock actuators for the storage lid to pop open? I have The OP sequence document and the factory service manual pages that describe how to diagnose and it appears im stuck at OP5-5th bow full open detection switch check and 3. Storage lid unlock actuator check. There isn’t a good photo of where this open detection switch is under the lid ie which switch as there are at least two in that mechanism. I’m thinking one is the fully open 5th bow switch and the other is the fully closed 5th bow switch? When the lid is open and your looking at the bow motor mechanism which switch is the fully open? Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 06-28-2023, 09:33 AM
Jody Johnston

Hi Jody, it’s been a few years and I’ve been suffering by manually putting the top down and leaving it down all summer but I’m back at it trying to fix this darn issue with no success. There isn’t a dealer within 200 miles that has a clue how to fix and diagnose these imagine that! When trying to open the top, my seat goes forward, the windows retract and the 5th bow lifts the 5th bow up completely. Then I hear a clicking but the lock actuators for the storage lid do not pop to start the lid opening sequence. I’m thinking there is a switch that gets activated once the 5th bow is fully open that triggers the unlock actuators for the storage lid to pop open? I have The OP sequence document and the factory service manual pages that describe how to diagnose and it appears im stuck at OP5-5th bow full open detection switch check and 3. Storage lid unlock actuator check. There isn’t a good photo of where this open detection switch is under the lid ie which switch as there are at least two in that mechanism. I’m thinking one is the fully open 5th bow switch and the other is the fully closed 5th bow switch? When the lid is open and your looking at the bow motor mechanism which switch is the fully open? Thanks in advance for your help!
Hi kdrk,
I still think that it is the storage lid motors. When mine were not working correctly after the rebuild I spent a lot of time debugging the limit switches. The limit switch for the 5th bow fully open is on the left (Drivers) side under some cosmetic covers, it's a small blue switch. My 5th bow always seemed to be opening all the way to activate the switch but seemed to get no further operations after that step. I thought that the latch mechanism to release the storage lid were not even being triggered because the storage lid motors didn't have enough strength to budge the storage lid at all (I literally could not detect any movement of the storage lid). I later learned that the latch mechanism was being triggered but the lid would not move. I ended up buying several used motors from ebay (and now have an abundance of them) to finally learn that the rebuilt motors were doing nothing for the storage lid. Once I learned this I disassembled the rebuilt motors to find the brushes not moving properly. Once I corrected this the entire top went through the entire operation flawlessly. Just curious, where are you located?

Last edited by Jody Johnston; 07-19-2023 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-19-2023, 12:00 PM
kdrk1

Default Storage lid isue

Hi, I’m on Cape cod in mass. I put power to the unlock actuators of the lid and they both work. Rules out the control module as I bought another and swapped it out. I will pull both lid motors and recheck Mike from Kissimmees work. It has to be either the fully open switch or like you said the brushes may not travel freely in their housing. Still frustrated but back at it again this week. Appreciate your help very much.
Old 07-19-2023, 01:12 PM
Jody Johnston

Okay, you are too far away for me to help. I travel for work almost every week and thought that if you were somewhere near where I travel frequently that I could find a way to connect with you to see how I could help. Does the 5th bow seem like it is fully opening? If while it is opening and you put pressure to assist is there any different behavior? I can't remember if I performed a manual check on the 5th bow switch but if it is accessible it would be worth checking it.
Old 11-08-2023, 03:33 AM
kdrk1

Default Still no unlock success

Hi Jody,
here I am again with no resolution and hours of testing! My issue is the storage lid “unlock actuators are not being triggered to unlock the lid and make it pop. The lid motors aren’t going to be triggered until the lock actuators pop the lid up. In either the fully closed sequence the 5th bow operates and opens the 5th bow to the open up position. At this point the next sequence should be the unlock actuators poping open the lid-nothing! In the fully open position when I operate the switch to close the top-nothing. Both actuators test out ok with 12v power applied. The control module has been swapped out with two other operating modules so it’s not the module. The fully open 5th bow switch has also been switched out so it’s not the switch. The only thing I haven’t done is replaced the harness! Any thoughts! I’m on year two with this issue and am totally frustrated.
Old 11-08-2023, 11:42 PM
Jody Johnston

Hi Jody,
here I am again with no resolution and hours of testing! My issue is the storage lid “unlock actuators are not being triggered to unlock the lid and make it pop. The lid motors aren’t going to be triggered until the lock actuators pop the lid up. In either the fully closed sequence the 5th bow operates and opens the 5th bow to the open up position. At this point the next sequence should be the unlock actuators poping open the lid-nothing! In the fully open position when I operate the switch to close the top-nothing. Both actuators test out ok with 12v power applied. The control module has been swapped out with two other operating modules so it’s not the module. The fully open 5th bow switch has also been switched out so it’s not the switch. The only thing I haven’t done is replaced the harness! Any thoughts! I’m on year two with this issue and am totally frustrated.
I went down this same path checking everything. I also though that the lock actuators were not functioning, but in the end it was my deck lid motors. I was working the deck lid manually at the motors opening and closing the deck lid by pulling the release cords for the actuators and then turning the motors. It turns out that the deck lid motors were so weak that it provided no hint at all that the release actuators were working. I finally realized it was the deck lid motors by buying several motors from ebay and replacing them. I never got any that were good enough to work flawlessly but they helped me to troubleshoot my issue to direct me towards repairing/rebuilding the deck lid motors and it has worked without issues ever since. I really think that you need to investigate the motor repair work you got done.