Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint dilemma..fully paint scratches prior to wrap. Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 02:00 PM
dritmike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint dilemma..fully paint scratches prior to wrap. Worth it?

Hey guys,

I’ve been rebuilding a convertible 04 as my quarantine project for roughly the last year.

It’s almost done, I’ve finally moved into body (after finally settling against boost &#128560

I have a question for anyone who has done similar. I love the color, the paint is totally jacked. The car sat for god knows how long in the desert, and at some point it was hit by pretty bad hail.

The body now is very straight but the paint. On my the paint is so bad. Faded, clear coat cracking, tons of chips, bubbles. You name it, it’s going on here. And being the cheap *** I am, I opted to just wrap it. But now I’m taking a really close look at it, and the paint is not even. Like the spots where it’s chipped, there’s a good gap that will show with the rap I think.

So I had a thought, I would basically even it out with primer and sand it smooth then wrap it.

That said, I have roughly 1/3 of the car done atm, but with the efforts involved. I think maybe even a good rattle can rustoleum paint job (take your time! Lots of thin, light layers!!!)

Can anyone tell me if filling the paint gaps with primer is even a good idea?

Old 03-28-2021, 08:09 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

Just my opinion, but I think you'd be better off not being a cheap *** and getting a fresh respray of LeMans Sunset onto that ZR.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:33 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

I love wraps myself and have done 3 on my car so far.

Unfortunately, all those chips and any cracks will show up. I tied just body filler on a few spots I had and that def didn't work either. While applying vinyl it is often necessary to reposition it. When I had to pull it up and stretch it further it picked up bits of bondo/filler which ruined the surface. Even bits of dust can ruin a panel.

I guess a high build primer might get those chips level with other paint but i wonder if you would need an epoxy primer over that? I'm not a primer expert but have used Eastwoods 2k epoxy primer in spray cans over my filler which worked well with the vinyl.

I guess you can do some test areas with small pieces of vinyl to see if it will pick up whatever you decide to try.

Good luck!!

Last edited by eZg; 03-29-2021 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:19 AM
dritmike

Originally Posted by eZg
I love wraps myself and have done 3 on my car so far.

Unfortunately, all those chips and any cracks will show up. I tied just body filler on a few spots I had and that def didn't work either. While applying vinyl it is often necessary to reposition it. When I had to pull it up and stretch it further it picked up bits of bondo/filler which ruined the surface. Even bits of dust can ruin a panel.

I guess a high build primer might get those chips level with other paint but i wonder if you would need an epoxy primer over that? I'm not a primer expert but have used Eastwoods 2k epoxy primer in spray cans over my filler which worked well with the vinyl.

I guess you can do some test areas with small pieces of vinyl to see if it will pick up whatever you decide to try.

Good luck!!
holy S.

thank you for the reply that was exactly what I was wondering.

also that but about the filler being picked up by the vinyl..I will do some testing with tape ? And see how it goes.

I was thinking just using paint like you had used too. I’m running low on primer atm

Thank you again !!!!!!
Old 03-29-2021, 08:26 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

I'd love to paint my car, but just doesn't seem wise to pay what I'd imagine would be close to $10K into a ride that isn't worth much more. Thought about trying to paint it myself.......but haven't had much luck with projects like layering carbon fiber over plastic bits.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:33 AM
dritmike

I’ve done smaller bits here and there on other cars.

tbh rustoleum makes the best spray paint I’ve used. That said make sure you do it right because it’s a B to sand.

lighy Thin layers. I did a civic front bumper for my wife’s car, I think it took a few days and maybe 10x layers spread out over that time. Every couple hours