Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to install Veilside V1 lip??? (avoid gaps??)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 12:04 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How to install Veilside V1 lip??? (avoid gaps??)

got my lip yesterday and I was ready to install it. I thought I lined everything up, but when you look at the area inside the grill, the Passenger side has about 1/3 or a gap while the Drivers side is flush, then On the Passenger side the rest of the lip fits very very snug against the bumper/body work, but the drivers side has a slight gap and an even larger gap in the are just under the orange reflector (where it gots in-concave), and on the Drivers side there is an extra 1/3 or so extra on the end, so it isn't flush as it wraps around the bumper.

I keep trying to push teh lip against the body work to see if the gap will decrease, but it isn't working, its like there is something preventing it from being totally flush against the bumper. I just ran down to the hardware store to get some more extra heavy duty double sided tape so I can start over. My guess is that it is shifted to far towards the drivers side, and that is effecting everything, so should I just make sure to line up the grill area, even on each side, then it willl be perfect everywhere else?? Any ideas?? I am wondering if I need to take a dremmel to part of it so it can lay more flush, should I have to do that or am I just doing something wrong???

Last edited by rodH; 05-20-2004 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:50 PM
E.F. VaBeach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're not doing anything wrong - those minute manufacturing differences in both the Z and the lip show up on each car differently. Even when dry-lined up dead center, I still had a very slight gap on the driver side and larger one on the passenger side.

After I installed it (urethane lip painted black to match) I heated up the gap areas with a hair dryer and braced padded wood struts against the lip that pressed it further against the nose and left it overnight. This closed the drivers side, and helped close the passenger side gap, but I still ended up filling the remainder with black silicone to seal it completely (black on black made this easy).

It looks great, I just had to work with it a bit. If yours is too off though, you may want to ask the vendor for a swap and see if manufacturing tolerances work your way. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:33 PM
ronald_m

MIne is shiftting to the passenger side.I'm telling you its not perferct fit you just have to leave with it.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:01 PM
rodH

I was just playing with it, it seems like if I stick the sides on a bit lower it seems to dramatically decrease the gap on the drivers side. I can't just swop it out because it is already painted.

to bad there isn't silver silicone
Old 05-20-2004, 05:03 PM
ronald_m

The technique is don't look closely once installed.lol
Old 05-20-2004, 05:07 PM
2004z
Sleeps in 350Z

I used a heat gun to help mold my V1 lip. Be careful tho, heat the lip up enough and it will be highly flexible!

Of course, this only works if you have the urethane version.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:11 PM
rodH

looks like I will try and heat it up, maybe that will help. The double sided tape is not that sticky anymore from taking it on and off, so I will start there then heat it up. Do I need to heat it up before or after it is installed??
Old 05-20-2004, 05:21 PM
2003z

I didn't have a fitment problem on mine, after I took the track spoiler off.

As for silver silicone, they do make it, I used it to fill my license plate bumper holes. It would probably match the CS very well. Check home depot