Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any other lighting options from ClearCorners.com?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 02:25 PM
Jergens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any other lighting options from ClearCorners.com?

Hey guys, well I'm not ragging on Ares but I just am sick of waiting to clear out my headlights and have the housing blacked out. Ares isn't at fault, he was promised something by someone else that they then failed to come through on and it sucks for all of us. Ares is a awesome guy and I'll continue to do buisness with him for HIS products that he makes, because they are top notch.

However I am trying to get this car ready and in line with my schedual and that includes changing the headlights as a top priority for what I am trying to do.

I like the ClearCorner's assembly, but they are insane. For example ... 145 dollars for what is literally a 5 dollar replacement part for our trunk light.

I love their headlights, they look insane on Skidazzle's car. But 850 bucks is just literally rape, which I will take if I have to. However if anyone has alternatives that they've come across, let me know. Also I'd prefer to black out ALL the silver in the assembly I can. I had someone claiming they could paint the entire reflective surface inside the headlight but I dunno I would think the stuff would flake off. If someone can find me clear corner strips, I can go and test the painting and get back to everyone how it turns out.

~Josh
Old 09-14-2004, 02:38 PM
mgl

You can always clear out the orange strip yourself. its not that hard at all. just very time consuming.
in regards to the paint, contact a member here by the name of big-al. he's here in the bay area and has custom headlights. he does all the work, and is very good. i'm not sure if he'd do them for you, but he can defintely help get started in the right direction. hope this helps.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:39 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it helps, there are 2 members on here that will open your headlights remove the strip, and paint it black for like 200$.

no LED work or anything, and they dont replace the strip. but it is the cheapest alternative.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:00 PM
juhko

I'd go with Ares suggestion if you want it that badly.

$850 is ridiculous.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Jergens

GRhhhh, it sucks I really want to do something unique but I have no idea how the hell to build/mold plastic . I'll get in touch with Big Al. I'm not looking to just clear the strip because I think it would look better with the corner still there, just not in obtrusive orange. I'll keep you guys up to date.

~Josh
Old 09-15-2004, 06:38 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

as far as paint, it won't chip, just buy some high-heat resistant paint, like engine enamel (HOT PAINT i think it's called the one i used). For the strip, i'm not going to remove it, i'm going to smoke mine since i have the bumper reflectors smoked as well, so that way it will match. If you want to smoke yours, then you will have to go to a hobby shop and buy some spray tint, spray it on the strip after you sand it down a little so the paint grabs better, and then spray a coat or two of clear coat afterwards so the paint won't chip easily.

I have been planning on spraypainting my housing for the looooongest time, i haven't had the time, it's a very time-consuming job, but it's not as hard as people think it is, a friend always helps to have around (especially when heating/pulling the headlight out) and don't forget to buy some silicone sealant to seal the headlight water-tight after you are done.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:32 AM
jim-n-cathy

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but you might consider an overlay. Bluebatmobile does good work:

http://bluebatmobile.com/
Old 09-15-2004, 03:13 PM
orhanz33

Jun, please post pics of the finished product if you ever get a chance to paint your housings!
Old 09-15-2004, 08:12 PM
old_s13

some people want their lights modified the right way, others just want their lights "modified."

it all depends what you want to do.

we're not selling a regular trunk lamp for 145 dollars, we're selling an LED trunk lamp for that price. go buy an LED interior lamp for a BMW and see how much it will run you. not to mention, their dome lights done change colors like ours do (blue door lamp, white when map lights are activated).

when you mod your car, you have to decide what is in your budget, and what is acceptable and not acceptable. we dont just pull prices out of thin air -- a lot of time goes into each and every product we sell. we're rather sell less but focus on selling high quality conversions, than sell lots of rubbish.

remember, the factory headlamps are fairly expensive. the last thing i'de want is someone unskilled working on them.. we've seen it all, from scratched lenses, bad paint jobs, flaking or dullened chrome, or condensation issues.

good luck
clearcorners.com
Old 09-16-2004, 12:05 PM
ZxRage

I totally agree, here is the proof, excellent craftmanship.
Attached Thumbnails Any other lighting options from ClearCorners.com?-dsc05066.jpg  
Old 09-16-2004, 12:29 PM
kbirdsong

I think what some people are looking for is just a lower cost alternative. I think clearcorners product is top notch, best conversion on the market. However i think some folks would just like a nice simple clear conversion without the additional expense of the LED parts. While i may think they are beautiful, others may not. Or they just don't feel that for "them" it's worth the expense. Someone out there will do this someday and make a bunch of bucks at it. I, for one, will order them when they do. While i would love to have the clearcorners product with two Z's it is unlikely that i ever will. And for cars that we drive every single day, i would like to have something of high quality, and cleared, but that i could afford to replace if god forbid one gets hit.

Last edited by kbirdsong; 09-16-2004 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:12 PM
ares
Veteran

no one thinks ferrari isnt a spectacular car; unfortunatly we all drive 350Z's. and I dont think its cause we dont give a crap about quality...
Old 09-16-2004, 01:53 PM
kbirdsong

Well said Ares. My hope is someone with the skills to do a high quality but simple cleared headlight will read these post's, and the other treads i have seen about this and decide it is a worth while business opportunity. I have seen that happen here several times before.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:08 PM
Jergens

I'm not trying to rag on you old-S13, but I can't see why an LED bulb and housing for the trunk is 145 dollars. I love your stuff. Truly I do. I am thinking about buying your headlights, I just think the price is a little inflated. Of course that is because you are the only guys doing this that don't screw it up . Again not trying to rag you but the trunk light is a standard bulb with the car, something that can be replaced with a LED retro bulb you can buy at quite a few places. Like 40 bucks for the pair. I had two of them in my E46 floor wells and they worked awesome. If you do something special with the trunk let me know, hell I might even go on and buy it if it's more than just a strip of 3 LEDs in a glass housing. Let me know on here or Via PM. By the way the only reason I'm not sold on your housing is due to one, if it burns out I'll be POed since I can't just replace the bulbs from what I see, and 2, I want the WHOLE housing black. I don't know if you intend on making a piece to block out all of the chrome. Again. PM me .. thanks dude and I DO love the housings

~Josh
Old 09-17-2004, 07:31 AM
ares
Veteran

that portion that isnt black reflects your headlight beam. without it; your high and low beams would have more or less no output.(or I guess about half...)

no ones been able to paint the whole thing.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:39 AM
Spoon_sports808

I Like the clearcorners.com's products. and i'd gladly pay for them, now that they have core-exchanges =)
Old 09-18-2004, 01:37 PM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hehe, I might consider this. How much are a set of headlights anyways?

Bat™
Old 09-19-2004, 06:53 AM
kbirdsong

They are a bit pricey. $695 each i think.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:57 AM
kbirdsong

But as i said in my earier post, exchanges on good simple cleared headlights for a reasonable price would get a lot of takers. I'm in if you do. A good seller like you would even attract more buyers, i would assume, since you already have a solid rep.

Quick Reply: Any other lighting options from ClearCorners.com?