Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Blueprint and Balance

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 08:38 AM
going deep

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blueprint and Balance

Okay, what better forum to ask my questions about blueprinting your engine and balance. What exactly does that involve? Costs? Benefits worth it? How long will the process take.

Thanks. Ernie
Old 12-08-2004, 09:57 AM
Alang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

B&B is where an engine builder insures that all specifications of the motor are as close to as possible. For example, all the rods weigh exactly the same (balance), or all the heads have exactly the same volumn (blueprint).

This a really good way to get extra HP out of a motor that doesn't have particulary close tolerances when built (like older american V8s). With todays manufacturing techniques, most modern motors are virtually B&B from the factory, and going through that process aftermarket is expensive and doesn't gain much. If you are maxed out on other mods, this might give you some more gains, but for most prople, its not worth the money.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:45 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Most engine builders will balance the rotating assembly. Insuring the rods and piston are all equal weight, and then making sure the crank is balanced as the motor spins. They add counterweights to the crank where need.

From what I understand about balancing, the motor is only "balanced" at a particular RPM. So even when it is balanced at 3000rpm, it will be slightly out of balance at other RPM's. There is an ongoing debate about whether balancing is necessary, but everyone seems to do it anyways.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:03 PM
going deep

Thanks guys, I was talking to the owner of my performance shop and everything previously stated is pretty much what he said. My block will be B & B, but I am not sure if I want to port and polish the heads after the quote he gave me. He said for the port and polish of the heads would be an extra 200/cylinder or 1200. Does that sound right? He said it was time intensive and this guy has always given me fair prices in the past, but 1200 for a port and polish may not be worth it.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:04 PM
ZxRage

Ahh yes, now it comes back to me from college. The good old natural frequency of a rotating assembly. That class was cool but the workload sucked.

Penn State ME remembering the college days...
Old 12-08-2004, 02:20 PM
going deep

Originally posted by ZxRage
Ahh yes, now it comes back to me from college. The good old natural frequency of a rotating assembly. That class was cool but the workload sucked.

Penn State ME remembering the college days...
Noticed you had forged internals...did you get your heads port and polished??
Old 12-08-2004, 02:46 PM
ZxRage

Not yet, I still need to purchase the ferrea valve kit and then the heads will be ported and polished.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:10 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

GoingDeep, personally, I think porting is waste of money on this motor, unless you plan on pushing it to the absolute limit. Many people will tell you that the VQ is a damn good flowing head, and since you told me your goals were in the sub 500range...I wouldnt port or change cams.

My plan is 550whp, and I am not porting/porting. Just a minor "port matching", and port cleanup....not very expensive at all. Ask for a radius valve job too.