Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

SSR/SFR Twin Turbo 510WHP @ 13.8 PSI

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 06:16 AM
NismoGCoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by damen
turbotim, i still don't understand how with your kit you don't need to retard any timing. can you elaborate on this.
as along as you run it rich you should be fine, and I believe with the 13.8psi they did address the timing
Old 01-25-2005, 07:51 AM
SSR Engineering

Originally posted by NismoGCoupe
as along as you run it rich you should be fine, and I believe with the 13.8psi they did address the timing
At 6.4 psi we don't pull any timing, at 13.8 psi we pulled 5 degrees
Old 01-25-2005, 08:51 AM
damen

Originally posted by NismoGCoupe
i was surprised because most if not all other kits retard timing even at the littlest boost amount.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:36 AM
Silo

This is my concern too... the basic kit does not require fuel system upgrades but comes with larger injectors. When tuning the larger injectors through the PSC1 (or any other fuel controller) you will alter the air mass sensor signal towards "lean" (up to a point). This fools the ECU into believing there is less load, therefor ignition is even more advanced than stock.

Why not use the stock injectors and raise fuel pressure a little and then alter the MAF signal toward "rich" so as a side effect you will have slightly retarded ignition compared to stock.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:49 AM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

turbotim, i still don't understand how with your kit you don't need to retard any timing. can you elaborate on this.

If you want to run more then 6.5 psi or so then you will need to retard timing. At the 6.5psi we are running on our basic kit, we did not need to retard the timing.There is no detonation or pinging even using 91 octane pump fuel.The only reason that you ever need to retard timing is to prevent detonation from occuring.If detonation is not present then why retard the timing? The only thing retarding the timing does if there is no pinging is lower your overall horsepower and potentially raise your EGTs.

I think one of the reasons we are not pinging at the 6.5psi boost level is the fact that we have our air/fuel mixtures set pretty conservatively.The turbos we are using are a bit larger then the other kits which means they run cooler and then on top of that we are using twin intercooleers on the G or a big massive intercooler on the 350 which drop the charge air temps even further.On the dyno we can not get the intake air temp much above ambient.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:56 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by SSR Engineering
At 6.4 psi we don't pull any timing, at 13.8 psi we pulled 5 degrees
Just wondering if you got my pm.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:58 AM
damen

so tim, have any of your kits experienced a boost spike which would cause more than 6.5 psi. ?
Old 01-25-2005, 09:58 AM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally posted by Silo
This is my concern too... the basic kit does not require fuel system upgrades but comes with larger injectors. When tuning the larger injectors through the PSC1 (or any other fuel controller) you will alter the air mass sensor signal towards "lean" (up to a point). This fools the ECU into believing there is less load, therefor ignition is even more advanced than stock.

Why not use the stock injectors and raise fuel pressure a little and then alter the MAF signal toward "rich" so as a side effect you will have slightly retarded ignition compared to stock.

Actually with the P1SC and the FTC, you control the mass-air voltage so we can have it send a similiar to stock voltage to the ECU.This allows us to stay in the same load range as stock which means we are in the same "timing map"
Old 01-25-2005, 10:06 AM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

so tim, have any of your kits experienced a boost spike which would cause more than 6.5 psi. ?

No. Most likely becasue we are running off of the wastegate springs to control boost. However, if you do see a boost spike it will be in the lower rpms.Generally, you can run more boost, run a little bit leaner and have a llittle more timing advance in the lower rpms without hurting the motor.We are not doing any of this though because being conservative is key to keeping a motor together for a long time.

The biggest problem I have seen with the G's and Z's is the fact that the ECU will be in closed loop, then at a certain point it will go into open loop (typically once it is in boost) and then sometime it reverts back into closed loop again (while under boost)! This is what I beleive is causing peoples motors to grenade! It is not about retarding the timing at 6 psi of boost or anything like that.The problem is on the fuel side of the equation.We solved this "problem" through our tuning approach.

Last edited by TurboTim; 01-25-2005 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:28 AM
ZRAYGO

hey guys just thought i would chime in. My car has pretty much the same build up except that i am running the fcon vpro system. it is over at xs engineering in huntington beach now and the target hp that they are shooting for is between 550-600hp. great job on your car by the way. i will post numbers when it is done.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:12 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by TurboTim

The biggest problem I have seen with the G's and Z's is the fact that the ECU will be in closed loop, then at a certain point it will go into open loop (typically once it is in boost) and then sometime it reverts back into closed loop again (while under boost)! This is what I beleive is causing peoples motors to grenade! It is not about retarding the timing at 6 psi of boost or anything like that.The problem is on the fuel side of the equation.We solved this "problem" through our tuning approach.
Running an eManage solves this issue, becuase it is tuned for varioius part-throttle load points. For instance, as soon as I am generateing boost..even part throttle, I go very rich....11:1 range.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:51 AM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

We have solved the issue too and we are not runnng the Emanage:^)
Old 01-27-2005, 09:35 AM
damen

Originally posted by TurboTim
We have solved the issue too and we are not runnng the Emanage:^)
is by the split second box?
Old 01-27-2005, 12:29 PM
SSR Engineering

is by the split second box?
Correct
Old 01-27-2005, 12:41 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

A shielded crank angle sensor wire is in this kit right? Is it needed for '05 models?