Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Huge props to Scott Performance in NorCal !

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 06:20 PM
slay2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge props to Scott Performance in NorCal !

After seeing my plea for help (with white smoke out of my exhaust), Ted from Scott Performance told me to call him because he wanted to volunteer his help.

This guy is a professional tuner and has tons of engine building experience with Ferraris, Porsches, all sorts of exotics, and of course the Z! His new shop works on a ton of 350's all day.

Needless to say this guy's time is valuable. Disregarding this, he spent over FIVE HOURS on the phone with me, since I'm on the east coast and couldn't come in person. He even offered to find the problem for me, free of charge, if I could ship the car over to his shop! Now how ridiculously nice is that of someone ? I asked him what was in it for him, and he said that helping a fellow Z owner is all he needed.

Well, after coordinating him and my local shop on the phone together, they got down to business. In less than an hour, Ted was convinced he knew where the problem was coming from.

For those interested in details -- the smoke started to look light bluish, and Ted was suspecting leaking turbos (I have PE). But, like before, when my shop took the downpipes off and looked all around the turbo seals, there was no oil to be found anywhere.

Ted next instructed them to take the plugs out of the engine and inspect the OUTSIDE RINGS (not the electrode). My shop was convinced there was no oil and even said "it's charcoal from running too rich". When I told this to Ted, he said "Yep, it's oil." I asked why, and was told that small quantities of burnt oil will look like a charcoal powder on the outside rings of a spark plug.

All said and done, he told me to upgrade the oil to something thicker (like a 40-weight in summer), and just drive the car. He believes the problem is in the rings, where little bits of oil are being burnt off inside the cylinders. A thicker oil would help or even alleviate the problem. He told me there's almost no risk of engine failure here, so I should simply continue to drive the car and stop worrying.

Anyway, this guy is phenomenal. I could tell from our phone conversation, based on the amount of detail he goes into, that this guy was BORN to work with car engines. Plus the fact that he's a truly nice guy doesn't hurt either.

MAD PROPS TO TED AT WWW.SCOTTPERFORMANCE.US !!!

And if you need something, tell him Romy sent ya ;]
Old 01-25-2005, 06:44 PM
GMADD

I agree !!!

He did the same for me, he also volunteered and called me about the Greddy setup.Very nice guy !

Tasso-
Old 01-25-2005, 07:23 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice one...

now the big question.. did it work?
Old 01-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that blue z look familiar. Isn't it list to sell in ebay awhile ago?
Old 01-26-2005, 05:01 AM
slay2k

Whether it worked or not will be seen after the 10 degree temperatures subside here in Jersey =) I trust his judgment though, and I will let you guys know when I run the car again.

And bubble, yeah I was eBaying it some time ago. I still might have to, since I plan on going to a very expensive business school.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:38 AM
marluci7

He's a great guy.... I should know.. He built my car... He really knows what he's talking about.... The rods, pistons, cams were all custom made for my car!!!!
Old 01-26-2005, 09:40 AM
calimarc

Originally posted by marluci7
He's a great guy.... I should know.. He built my car... He really knows what he's talking about.... The rods, pistons, cams were all custom made for my car!!!!
Hey Marin....I guess your car is completely done now? How about a review, video, pics of your ride!!! Not sure if you have posted a write up yet. Wondering if there is any APS kits on forged internals in the USA yet besides your car. You have to let us know what that APS power feels like on a bullet proof engine!!!!
Old 01-26-2005, 10:00 AM
marluci7

LOL.... video / pic will be coming very soon... everything is in the works!!
Old 01-26-2005, 10:49 AM
fernandito7

Hey marin ur car is awesome. I met u at starbucks on capitol and i was amazed on how good ur car looked. Even more when i saw ur APS kit and u informed me that u had forged internals. Cant wait for a review and a video. Im glad that the Z is coming up.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:26 AM
marluci7

thanks buddy..... I'll see you at starbucks this weekend..
Old 01-26-2005, 11:50 AM
fernandito7

Cool. I will be there.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:57 AM
calimarc

If I lived in San Jose I'd like to check out both your guys cars. One of these days I might have to move out of " the sticks " and into the Bay. Don't know if I could deal with traffic and outrageous home prices though!
Old 01-26-2005, 12:16 PM
Jsn350Z

Marins car is awesome! It runs absolutly great! I have a bunch of pictures I took of his car and I'm sending them over to him so he can write up a review with pics.

And, Scotts Performance IS awesome. Teds work is QUALITY.