Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Question on SGP Racing built engines

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 09:51 PM
bzrk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on SGP Racing built engines

Hello,
I've been lurking this forum for a few month now, dont really ever post as most of my questions are usually answered someplace. I see that many of you are building up your engines "by yourself" so to speak, i.e. buy all the components and bring them to your favourite shop to have it all put together. Problem is, where I live, there is no Nissan specialty shop or anyone I know of that has built up a VQ35DE engine.

My question is, why is this beeing done? I see that SGP sells fully built engines for $3900. Am I missing something as to what one gets here? Basically, if I ordered a complete engine from SGP along with APS TT, and have a local shop install the engine and turbo kit, would I be more or less set? (along with all the other things that any compenent shop can install of course , such as clutch, exhaust etc.)

Why cant I find any posts about these complete engine packages? Are they overpriced, or is there simply nothing worth posting about because they are an out-of-the box kind of solution and people that buy them tend to not have to maky too many choices and are simply satisifed customers?

Greatly appreciate any feedback I can get on this, as I dont see any easy way for me to get a built engine unless it is a complete out-of-the box kind of solution this appears to be.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:48 PM
dansouliere

I am also Canadian and I don’t have any local Nissan performance shops let alone any shops that have worked on a 350Z. I am waiting for people who are going with the AEBS stroker kit along with twin turbos to see if the performance is worth the price.

When I have decided on my future setup I will more than likely send my block out to get built. It may cost more but piece of mind is more important to me.

SGP Racing is a great choice. Last I heard they had some pre-built blocks ready for shipping.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:50 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Question on SGP Racing built engines

Originally posted by bzrk
Hello,
I've been lurking this forum for a few month now, dont really ever post as most of my questions are usually answered someplace. I see that many of you are building up your engines "by yourself" so to speak, i.e. buy all the components and bring them to your favourite shop to have it all put together. Problem is, where I live, there is no Nissan specialty shop or anyone I know of that has built up a VQ35DE engine.

My question is, why is this beeing done? I see that SGP sells fully built engines for $3900. Am I missing something as to what one gets here? Basically, if I ordered a complete engine from SGP along with APS TT, and have a local shop install the engine and turbo kit, would I be more or less set? (along with all the other things that any compenent shop can install of course , such as clutch, exhaust etc.)

Why cant I find any posts about these complete engine packages? Are they overpriced, or is there simply nothing worth posting about because they are an out-of-the box kind of solution and people that buy them tend to not have to maky too many choices and are simply satisifed customers?

Greatly appreciate any feedback I can get on this, as I dont see any easy way for me to get a built engine unless it is a complete out-of-the box kind of solution this appears to be.
I'm pretty sure you could do that.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:58 PM
SungNamZ

Log on to www.ZChickz.com and visit "Forum". Drop down to 350Z and have a look at the thread by "Tere". She is doing what you are considering doing as I type and got it from SGP.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:12 AM
bruschijr

I have my engine currently being built by SGP... The bottom is finished and they have the top in right now working on it.. hopefully my engine will be done soon..

I have no prior engine building experience with them so I cant tell you thier reliability from my own perspective. But from what I have heard they are definatley an excellent choice. They use a great machine shop to do the engine work as well.

If you go with SGP, speak with Kyle, I've spoken with him and wrote him e-mails with all kinds of questions. He's very helpful and gives you all kinds of recommendations on what he thinks is best if you want.

Price wise they are pretty similar to most companies from my searching for engine building. They have already made a 600+ WHP car i believe as well!!

For the engine setup you want... its not 100% drop and go... you have two eseential parts the engine and the turbo kit... But as you know you will need installation and tuning... You will also need a clutch that can hold the power you want, probably some stronger wastegate springs (i dont know how APS works with that) a BOV that can hold the boost. Some way to adjust boost, fuel pressure, and timing... I dont know if the unichip has all this covered... and some way to get the fuel in there... injectors and a fuel pump..

Like I said I dont know what comes with the APS kit... I'm going by whats needed from the Greddy kit... good luck...
Old 02-09-2005, 07:54 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

SGP is a great shop to considered.

Here is a link to some of their engine packages, and what they all inlcude.

http://store.yahoo.com/sgpracing-store/sgpravqmo.html
Old 02-09-2005, 08:13 PM
bullseye

Originally posted by gq_626
SGP is a great shop to considered.

Here is a link to some of their engine packages, and what they all inlcude.
At risk of seeming obtuse, what's the difference between the short block and the long block? Which one corresponds to our stock engine? Are they interchangeable as far as fitment in our engine bay is concerned, or are mods required to install one or the other?

???
Old 02-10-2005, 05:18 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

short block is just the block and bottom end... Long block is making reference to the complete motor with heads, etc...
Old 02-10-2005, 06:22 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

bullseye, if you are just looking to build the bottom end, and not touch the heads, it best to just get the short block from SGP, and then install your stock heads on the SGP block.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:57 PM
bullseye

Originally posted by gq_626
bullseye, if you are just looking to build the bottom end, and not touch the heads, it best to just get the short block from SGP, and then install your stock heads on the SGP block.
Oh, I see... So I won't have to rent an engine bay stretcher if I decide to install a long block after all!

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the response.

Last edited by bullseye; 02-10-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:09 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally posted by bullseye
Oh, I see... So I won't have to rent an engine bay stretcher if I decide to install a long block after all!

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the response.
Good one. BTW, also thanks philthy, I wondered about that too.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:45 PM
beachbum0286

GQ why do you say buying a SGP short block is the best way to go, when SGP does valve job, cams, and valve springs on their long blocks. Wouldn't this be beneficial over the stock heads? Just curious.
Thanks Zach
Old 02-10-2005, 06:50 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Beachbum...read what i said closely.

I said that IF he just wanted to do a bottom end (short block) build up, than the SGP shortblock is the way to go, and he can install his stock heads on the shortblock

Now if he decides he wants to do the head work as well, the sure, the longblock would be best.

Hth,
Sharif
Old 02-11-2005, 05:02 AM
bruschijr

I have decided to do the head work with SGP... I put in all the upgraded parts they offer... we'll see what kind of gains I get when I'm finished tuning. Hopefully it will be worth the money. I put in larger valves, stronger springs, titanium retainers, and turbo camshafts.

Hopefully it will be worth it when I see the dyno results. I personally did it so I can achieve the power I want with less boost, lower octane requrements, and less other adjustments. It is pretty expensive for the whole process upwards of 2 and a half grand closer to 3 for the labor and other parts..

If you are not looking to go over 600 whp you probably dont need to spend the money on that, and you can use it for other things for your car... like renting a nice model to cruise around in your car..
Old 02-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally posted by bruschijr
I have decided to do the head work with SGP... I put in all the upgraded parts they offer... we'll see what kind of gains I get when I'm finished tuning. Hopefully it will be worth the money. I put in larger valves, stronger springs, titanium retainers, and turbo camshafts.

Hopefully it will be worth it when I see the dyno results. I personally did it so I can achieve the power I want with less boost, lower octane requrements, and less other adjustments. It is pretty expensive for the whole process upwards of 2 and a half grand closer to 3 for the labor and other parts..

If you are not looking to go over 600 whp you probably dont need to spend the money on that, and you can use it for other things for your car... like renting a nice model to cruise around in your car..
Can you give the specs on the JWT turbo camshaft?