Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 11:58 AM
NissanJunkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turbo Build

I havent been on the board in a while and i wanted to get the advice of the pros that have been F/I for a while.

Here is my situation, I plan on going F/I in the summer with either the turbonetics Sinlge or the Aps Single, my goal is to have the car running right with Tune and with some bolt ons running 360rwhp at low boost (5-7psi) and 420rwhp at high boost(9-10)

here is my question, What will i need aside from the kit (Turbo, fmic, fuel pump, injectors, emanage) to make sure i dont go boom when i am in the process of running highboost on times that i feel the need to?

After F/I I plan on test pipes & headers to make a lil more breathing room. As of now i am leaning towards turbonetics for 2 reasons, install is not super complicated, and i hear that Aps is going to replace the fuel system.

Suggestions, Thoughts?

-Mason
Old 02-21-2005, 12:12 PM
dansouliere

The only guarantee in life is death.. lol

Just make sure you can afford to replace the engine if she blows.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:28 PM
Enron Exec

Default Re: Turbo Build

Originally posted by NissanJunkie
I havent been on the board in a while and i wanted to get the advice of the pros that have been F/I for a while.

Here is my situation, I plan on going F/I in the summer with either the turbonetics Sinlge or the Aps Single, my goal is to have the car running right with Tune and with some bolt ons running 360rwhp at low boost (5-7psi) and 420rwhp at high boost(9-10)

here is my question, What will i need aside from the kit (Turbo, fmic, fuel pump, injectors, emanage) to make sure i dont go boom when i am in the process of running highboost on times that i feel the need to?

After F/I I plan on test pipes & headers to make a lil more breathing room. As of now i am leaning towards turbonetics for 2 reasons, install is not super complicated, and i hear that Aps is going to replace the fuel system.

Suggestions, Thoughts?

-Mason
Both the APS single and Turbonetics single will have upgraded fuel pumps and fuel injectors, and that is an extremely good thing.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:50 PM
BrianLG35C

Originally posted by dansouliere

Damn Canucks are always so negative!
Old 02-21-2005, 02:27 PM
kosmic

Do a search for "forged internals" in the FI section, and you'll see the precautions that other FI guys are taking in building up their engines. Sure it's not *mandatory* that you build it up, but it will give you peace of mind and a long engine life.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:32 PM
t32gzz

The kit will come with most of what you will need. I believe it even comes with a BOV, but don't quote me on that. A FMIC is a must in Texas, but I am sure it is part of the kit as well.

Outside of the kit, I would get test pipes, and possibly an exhaust. Consider addressing timing issues with the J&S Knock Sensor, Greddy e-Manage with ignition harness or a TS reflash.

You may want to pick up the latest issue of Turbo. The Turbonetics Z put down 365 whp at 8 psi. I would not run it much above 8psi with stock internals. At least not until a couple other Tubonetics cars have pushed that envelope. 365 whp syill feels real fast .....for a little while.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to clear some things up:

Turbonetics kit has a fuel pump, 380cc injectors, and new fuel lines. It addresses timing through a Turbonetics ECU reflash.

APS will most likely use the same fuel system and the same piggyback that is in their TT kits.

If you get the Turbonetics, you will be able to upgrade headers as they do not include new exhaust manifolds in their kit, but, the aftermarket headers have to be the same size as the stock headers. Also, if you want a true-dual exhaust...you're going to need to make a custom reverse y-pipe.

If you get the APS, you will have a new exhaust manifold and won't have to buy headers. You will have to do the same as what I mentioned for the Turbonetics, either go with a y-pipe setup or if you go true-dual...make a reverse y-pipe.

I imagine the APS will be the better package for most people, just like it is with their TT kit.

I just think the Turbonetics is the better choice for someone who wants more flexibility (able to choose your own fuel/engine management and upgrade the fuel system how you wish).

And one more thing, Turbonetics kit has 2 different models: kit with high flow cat, kit with downpipe. And, the tuner version will be available soon. As well as the G35 coupe kit (will be shipping before March 26th).
Old 02-21-2005, 04:35 PM
NissanJunkie

Originally posted by t32gzz
The kit will come with most of what you will need. I believe it even comes with a BOV, but don't quote me on that. A FMIC is a must in Texas, but I am sure it is part of the kit as well.

Outside of the kit, I would get test pipes, and possibly an exhaust. Consider addressing timing issues with the J&S Knock Sensor, Greddy e-Manage with ignition harness or a TS reflash.

You may want to pick up the latest issue of Turbo. The Turbonetics Z put down 365 whp at 8 psi. I would not run it much above 8psi with stock internals. At least not until a couple other Tubonetics cars have pushed that envelope. 365 whp syill feels real fast .....for a little while.
The kit comes with Turbonetics reflash. and only 8psi? i saw in the other turbonetics thread where 6.5psi (363whp or 435chp) and 8.3psi (406whp or 487chp) did they redyno it after that with a lower tune to make it safer? cause those were the dyno #'s posted.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:35 PM
g356gear

Originally posted by BrianLG35C
Damn Canucks are always so negative!
Just a few of em eh ?!?!
Old 02-22-2005, 05:37 AM
t32gzz

Not sure if it comes with the flash for 8psi, but the Turbo article made it sound like it did. Interesting note, they said the car made more power with a stock exhaust than an after market.

They did not mention the after market exhaust mfg. but did say they would try others to see if they had the same result.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:32 PM
NissanJunkie

Tims your car is slow and you know it

How you been brother? I see the car is coming along nicely.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:18 PM
350z4steve

Originally posted by dansouliere

that is actually pretty sound advice! If you want to play with FI you definetely have to be prepared for the worst..not that it will happen but one never knows.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:30 PM
NissanJunkie

I know, its not going to be my daily any more so that will take a lot of stress off of me.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:41 PM
t32gzz

The car is coming along nicely. Looks like you will be joining the FI team soon. You can learn from my mistakes.