Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Unique G35 coupe triple gauge install

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005 | 07:11 AM
mr2fasterthanyo

looks pretty bad, but function over form sometimes, right?

why did you go with a 30 psi boost gauge? you are running an SC...... i think a 15 would be more than enough, plus give you better accuracy. hell, even a 20 would be better.........
Old 03-02-2005 | 07:38 AM
sicilianoNYC

that **** carpet is the ugliest thing ive seen since the two tone painted Z that was posted last week in the 350z coupe forum
Old 03-02-2005 | 07:53 AM
gersteinp

Originally posted by gersteinp
Hey-- I just realized that Avalon mistakenly ordered me the 60 mm. That's why they didn't fit.
My bad-- they were 52 mm gauges. Can't explain why they didn't fit except that maybe the AEM outer band should have been removed, although I don't know if this is possible. The band spins loosely, however.

Went with 30 psi because that's all Defi makes I was told.
Old 03-02-2005 | 07:58 AM
kzanard

Are you sure they are 52MM? They look big. My boost & EGT gage are from Autometer, maybe the outer ring is narrower? I know that when AEM wideband was added we needed to make a new mounting plate and the 2 autometer gages are now just about touching the inside left & right wall of the cubby. It is a tight fit, but they do fit in there.
Old 03-02-2005 | 08:50 AM
gersteinp

Yes-- they are 52mm but I bet the difference is in the ring sizes. The OD for the Defis is 58.3 mm. Just curious-- do your gauges point upwards a bit more than you would like?

In answer to sicilianoNYC, the **** is not so cool, I admit, but beats having the willow dash reflect off the windshield almost all the time--even from street lights at night. It was truly driving me nuts!
Old 03-02-2005 | 08:54 AM
kzanard

Yes, they do lean back a little and also point straight back (instead of towards me). I was willing to sacrifice a little in order to have them hidden inside cubby. If I get a chance this week I will try to take more pics.
Old 03-02-2005 | 09:03 AM
narkotic

Made this one myself, it was alot of work. Did this a long time ago, way before there was any aftermarket pillars for our car.

Other Side to match -

If anyone dares to ask, I charge 10 grand to make them.
Old 03-02-2005 | 11:53 AM
G3po

Default G guages

Originally posted by MEGA_BB6_Turbo
any other guys on here wanna show their meter setups aside from the pillars? I'm looking for some ideas. Also since i'm going TT...which meters are a MUST to get? I had 4 in mind...but less would be better since i'm trying to do something on my pasenger side to fit.
Sorry no pics , but I have 6 Black DEFI-Ds mounted in my G.
Three in the A-pillar ,which) is a lot less obtrusive than I would have originally thought and three down were the coin and hazard button once were. Moved the hazard over to under the dash drivers side . Used a DIN sized piece of ABS plastic, with three 52mm holes (cost ~$12 from E-guage). It is Epoxied flush with the shifter console surface. Painted Titanium to go some what closely to the OEM color. IMO it looks "way" better than the setup shown here bulging out of the cubby. Only down side is it takes a little more glance to read the guages that far down. But I only have the less necessary guages down there, For now EGT, Oil Temp , Oil PSI. Pillar pod has Boost, Fuel PSI and A/F. My DEFI-A/F guage is driven from the WB analog output of an LM-1. So "all" the guages match and look similar to the OEM pod and color.
Old 03-02-2005 | 06:40 PM
Gman2004

This is a nice setup if you have two gauges.

http://www.evolutionautosports.com/i.../gmikey08a.jpg
Old 03-03-2005 | 05:24 AM
g35tt

well i could tell that those are unique there just like mines that they are unique to check them out.......custom made gauge pod.....

clik here....http://www.importspeedmagazine.com/g...iog35/IMG_6259
Old 03-03-2005 | 06:41 AM
G352NV

Would someone give me the paint code for that silver!
Old 03-03-2005 | 09:18 AM
MEGA_BB6_Turbo

Originally posted by g35tt
well i could tell that those are unique there just like mines that they are unique to check them out.......custom made gauge pod.....

VERY well done ... i was maybe thinking of putting the meters somewhere where the dvd navi unit is usually put...but then i wouldn't want to drive with the cover open all the time

EDIT: I was also thinking of actually taking the navi unit lid off and customize a vertical gauge pod of fiberglass while rerouting the navi unit somewhere else.

Last edited by MEGA_BB6_Turbo; 03-03-2005 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-07-2005 | 10:28 AM
G3po

Default G35 pods

Originally posted by g35tt

That is were I have three (of my six) gauges mounted also , I just didn't spend the time or money to cant them. Mine are flat. I also moved the hazard button off the console to under the dash on driver side. I never liked the massive red button on the console IMO. looks
Old 03-07-2005 | 02:58 PM
gersteinp

Default Re: G guages

Originally posted by G3po
Sorry no pics , but I have 6 Black DEFI-Ds mounted in my G.
Three in the A-pillar ,which) is a lot less obtrusive than I would have originally thought and three down were the coin and hazard button once were. Moved the hazard over to under the dash drivers side . Used a DIN sized piece of ABS plastic, with three 52mm holes (cost ~$12 from E-guage). It is Epoxied flush with the shifter console surface. Painted Titanium to go some what closely to the OEM color. IMO it looks "way" better than the setup shown here bulging out of the cubby. Only down side is it takes a little more glance to read the guages that far down. But I only have the less necessary guages down there, For now EGT, Oil Temp , Oil PSI. Pillar pod has Boost, Fuel PSI and A/F. My DEFI-A/F guage is driven from the WB analog output of an LM-1. So "all" the guages match and look similar to the OEM pod and color.
The install you did looks incredible--almost a work of art. But I agree with you, gauges you need to keep frequent tabs on such as AFR, boost and fuel pressure, should never be put down that low on the dash. You'd have to totally take your eyes off the road to make any sense of them--all while accelerating under boost.
Old 03-07-2005 | 03:38 PM
G3po

Default Re: Re: G guages

The install you did looks incredible--almost a work of art. But I agree with you, gauges you need to keep frequent tabs on such as AFR, boost and fuel pressure, should never be put down that low on the dash. You'd have to totally take your eyes off the road to make any sense of them--all while accelerating under boost.
Thanx but these pics are not of my install, though mine is somewhat similar. FYI, most Gs have an extra switch blank down on the left side dash near the trunk latch button. I just extended the hazard switch wire by ~2ft and the switch snaps right into the pre-existing rectangular hole , once the blank is removed.
Old 03-07-2005 | 03:44 PM
G3po

Default pod

Originally posted by narkotic

Made this one myself, it was alot of work. Did this a long time ago, way before there was any aftermarket pillars for our car.

Other Side to match -

If anyone dares to ask, I charge 10 grand to make them.
The carbon fiber looks cool , but one can buy the triple pod (in Willow or Black) now for $56. I have the Willow and it is worth every cent of $56
Old 03-07-2005 | 04:00 PM
gersteinp

Default Re: Re: Re: G guages

Originally posted by G3po
Thanx but these pics are not of my install, though mine is somewhat similar. FYI, most Gs have an extra switch blank down on the left side dash near the trunk latch button. I just extended the hazard switch wire by ~2ft and the switch snaps right into the pre-existing rectangular hole , once the blank is removed.
Hmmm. I have a 2003 G35 and there is no blank in that location. Maybe your car doesn't have VDC. Most Gs have three switches by the left knee--dash light dimmer, trunk latch remote and VDC-off. I do have a blank button between the seat heater switches, however.
Old 03-07-2005 | 05:40 PM
G3po

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: G guages

Hmmm. I have a 2003 G35 and there is no blank in that location. Maybe your car doesn't have VDC. Most Gs have three switches by the left knee--dash light dimmer, trunk latch remote and VDC-off. I do have a blank button between the seat heater switches, however.
Look again, I have all three, in a 2004 G35C. I guess it may have changed between 2003 to 04? It's not in line with those switches, it's down below them next to the OBD2 port.
Old 04-11-2005 | 12:44 PM
G35cTT

https://my350z.com/forum/attachment....chmentid=66361

No offense but that sort of looks ugly
Old 04-12-2005 | 06:19 AM
bwzabodyn

Does anyone have a picture of the setup where 3 gauges were custom-fiberglassed/painted in the area where the NAV cubby hole used to be? That setup, if I can find a picture of it, is by far the cleanest looking of everything I've seen thus far... maybe that was Eagle1?