Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Kaboom KSheps VQ35 Destruction

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005 | 03:45 PM
GregGSC

Default Kaboom KSheps VQ35 Destruction

Ok never in my life have i seen this one happen. I've seen blocks with holes blocks that have split in half but never this kind of damage.

Kenny's car is down here in the shop. We pulled the motor and well you guys can see for your self what happened. As best we know the last rotation of this motor was made at 8.5psi and who knows what RPM.

Here's the pics

Old 03-14-2005 | 04:10 PM
KShep

These pics are going up on all the forums which makes it tricky for me to keep up so I'll try to anticipate your questions as best I can.

I was very cautious with the F/I project and attemted to install as many safe guards as possible prior to tuning....the GReddy was installed in late February of '04....I took her in for tuning November 22 '04. She had 4400 easy miles on her.

The shop installed some engine management equipment and decided to road test the car prior to tuning. I was informed on November 30th that the engine had blown due to a rod bolt failure. It took a month to arrange safe transportation back to my shop, and another couple of months to get parts and personnel lined up for a rebuild.

Pending legal action dictates restricted details concerning the shop..but rod bolt failure was not the cause of the extensive damage you see....long story short I took the car to the wrong shop.

I want to thank Greg at GSC Motorsports for his unwavering assistance and patience...as well as Sharif and too many other members to name, both on this site and others for your contributions to the F/I forums.

I was not present when this event occurred, and GSC Motorsports was in no way involved with the tuning. I was told that installation and tuning would take 48 hours....I was 260 miles away from home during the Thanksgiving Holiday and when it became obvious the car would not be ready for an extended period...I had other obligations that made it necessary for me to leave the car.

The rebuild is underway and should be completed soon. I hope these pics are of some assistance to the members here and on other forums.
Old 03-14-2005 | 04:40 PM
MIAPLAYA

Damn well I guess if you are going to go....go BIG...Very sorry to hear this bro....Hope everything gets worked out. Anyway you could tell us who the shop was though I have a good guess in mind?
Old 03-14-2005 | 04:44 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

its gotta be tough to decide if the engine failed due to neglect of the shop that did the work... or if she just let go.

What is the justification to holding the shop responsible?
Old 03-14-2005 | 04:47 PM
tig488

ok im confused, so the shop that installed the kit did this? why is this being brought up now, instead of back in nov when it happened. is the engine teardown just beginning? did they install the TT only or upgraded internals?
Old 03-14-2005 | 05:27 PM
nitrous350

why only greddy TT kit has like this problem????????
My APS TT with 12 PSI boost never happen yet
Sorry for that
Old 03-14-2005 | 06:05 PM
g356gear

I find it interesting that this motor had the J&S timing control which is a very good unit. Ignition scattering maybe on the crank signal wire????
Old 03-14-2005 | 08:29 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

wow...looks very similar to my mangled blown engine..you take the cake though...a tad bit more destruction!
good luck on the rebuild
Old 03-14-2005 | 08:52 PM
AmyCroft

Default Not a Rod Bolt Failure

Kshep:
Sorry about the shop telling you it was a Rod Bolt Failure..
They did lie to you.

The rod bolts are intact. I think they were guessing..

Is the big end of the rod... Er is the Bearing spun..
Is the remaining piece of the rod still turn freely? or is it stuck in that position?

Inquireing minds want to know..

Amy
Old 03-14-2005 | 08:59 PM
hndumafia

i hate seeing pics like that! it makes me think it's definitely not a good idea to go f/i on my z without buildup. sorry about your blown motor. that looks worse than any pictures i can recall seeing!
Old 03-14-2005 | 09:35 PM
gt3

Sorry to see those pics. Hope your rebuild will go smoothly.
Old 03-15-2005 | 02:24 AM
APS
Banned

That's some serious engine damage kenny................really sorry to see this happen to you.

Good luck with the engine rebuild, hope this all works out well for you.

By the way I would love to see some pictues of the big end bearings, crankshaft journal and what's left of the con rod, if you get a chance please email me some pics if you have a moment spare.

Peter
Old 03-15-2005 | 03:22 AM
KShep

The shop that installed the Greddy was not responsible for this damage. I waited until I had the AAM return fuel system installed and for cooler weather to take the car to a shop that came highly recommended. Since everyone has different experiences with performance shops I figure I just had a bad one...but they charged me a fairly hefty sum for labor and offered zero condolences and very little assistance post blow up. Had I recieved a more reasonable bill I would have just taken it as a lesson learned and walked away.

Charles...like I said ...if the shop hadn't sent me an insane bill I would have just let it go. I took the car to them to have some timing pulled via the J&S...they installed the J&S...they road tested the J&S install and she blew...prior to pulling timing. They left me with a big mess to fix and I would have felt like a chump paying them for that. The guys at his shop and I are still on speaking terms and they have tuned many cars successfully...just went bad with mine.

tig...the motor just came out last weekend.

Amy/Peter as soon as Greg checks back on this thread maybe he can assist with your questions...I am 160 miles away from the car now.
Old 03-15-2005 | 06:25 AM
FairladyZ

What psi does greddy say you should run in their kit? Also how long was the turbo on the car?
Old 03-15-2005 | 06:34 AM
KShep

Originally Posted by FairladyZ
What psi does greddy say you should run in their kit? Also how long was the turbo on the car?
The wastegate springs come set at 5.6 I believe. The Greddy had been on the car since late Feb. '04.
Old 03-15-2005 | 07:25 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Kenny, thanks for sharing your experience with us. I know how painful this can be.

But the bright side is that your new engine and car will be ready very soon! I guess maybe a couple more weeks? And Phunk is coming down to help tune both of our cars in Charlotte. And just in time for the good weather!!

If you need anything, dont hesitate to call.

Hth,

Sharif
sharif@forgedinternals.com
Old 03-15-2005 | 07:27 AM
MIAPLAYA

Sorry again for everything...are you able to tell us what shop it was or is that off limits?
Old 03-15-2005 | 07:30 AM
2003z

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Sorry again for everything...are you able to tell us what shop it was or is that off limits?
It wasn't the atlanta shop that is/was a sponsor here and has been the subject of much controversy lately.
Old 03-15-2005 | 07:34 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by 2003z
It wasn't the atlanta shop that is/was a sponsor here and has been the subject of much controversy lately.

Oh...well that was my first guess but I'd still like to know who it was...
Old 03-15-2005 | 07:54 AM
t32gzz

Just by looking at the Georgia address and the proximity of 260 miles, i think we can all draw our own conclusions. With that being said, I hope everyone is very cautious when looking at this shop for work. This is not the first built VQ they have blown.

Quick Reply: Kaboom KSheps VQ35 Destruction