Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Lowest Turbonetics price

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 08:32 PM
bhk1004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

turbonetics turbo can be tuned for different PSI if you send in the ECU into turbonetics... I believe they said that they have it safely up to 9 PSI's with 11.5 af all the way through the RPM bands. another thing that i think that mite be advantageous with the turbonetics is that the piggybacks and the ECU wont ever clash or wutever, since the ECU will just be running the show straight through, since somepeople have said that this mite be why some of the detonations have occurred.

SIDE NOTE, i wanna know what happened with that car with the APS twin turbo that they thought blew thier engine yet they thread got deleted and nothing about it has surfaced.... id like to know if its true that an APS has blow an engine or not. thx
Old 04-10-2005, 08:35 PM
xxlbeerZ

Originally Posted by bhk1004

SIDE NOTE, i wanna know what happened with that car with the APS twin turbo that they thought blew thier engine yet they thread got deleted and nothing about it has surfaced.... id like to know if its true that an APS has blow an engine or not. thx
Was a rumor, poster apologized.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:35 PM
zman1910

Originally Posted by bhk1004
turbonetics turbo can be tuned for different PSI if you send in the ECU into turbonetics... I believe they said that they have it safely up to 9 PSI's with 11.5 af all the way through the RPM bands. another thing that i think that mite be advantageous with the turbonetics is that the piggybacks and the ECU wont ever clash or wutever, since the ECU will just be running the show straight through, since somepeople have said that this mite be why some of the detonations have occurred.

That was proven false by the person who started the thread about the "blown" engine.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zman1910
Don't forget it also costs money for R&D. We all know APS has plenty of that.
You don't have to R&D after the kit is finished though. Therefore you set the price lower as long as you are confident you will make the same amount from volume.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:36 PM
xxlbeerZ

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
Better FMIC? Hah...I have no idea how you can determine that. Spearco are some of the BEST intercoolers available.

I already stated where I stood on the other parts.

The rest of your opinion is just BS.
Vertical bar & plate is better.

Also, if you're going to call BS go down the things I listed and tell me why they're not better? IF the APS isn't worth the additional cost I would like to know before I buy it. There's at least 8 or 9 things I rattled off there that make it worth it.

Anyway, compare the Turbonetics to ANY turbo kit for the 350z, what's good about it?

Last edited by xxlbeerZ; 04-10-2005 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:38 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

I told you...no APS posting is allowed now on this thread.

As far as vertical bar & plate...gotta love APS' marketing, it's good.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:39 PM
xxlbeerZ

I told you...no APS posting is allowed now on this thread.

As far as vertical bar & plate...gotta love APS' marketing, it's good.

I went with this style of intercooler on my turbo Honda and my DSM, it's called physics not marketing.

If you want some reference material as to why vertical bar and plate is superior in most cases I can go get it from neutral sources.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:40 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

I would ask you to explain to me how it is better...but like I said. I would rather this therad stick to Turbonetics.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:43 PM
zman1910

I ,for one, feel the extra 1k was justified for the millionth time. I dont see how the profit margin is 2k for APS and the Turbonetics isn't. In fact it should be about the same and thats after the group buy for the Turbonetics with probably a slight profit advantage for APS.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:45 PM
zman1910

I would ask you to explain to me how it is better...but like I said. I would rather this therad stick to Turbonetics.
Maybe you don't realize this but the person that created this thread also wants to know about APS bc he felt he was misinformed, but yes it is getting out of hand now....
Old 04-10-2005, 08:49 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

zman, I wasn't saying the $2k isn't applied to all kits. I would say ~20% of the cost for any 350Z product is profit from the 350Z being a 350Z and costing ~$28,000+.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:49 PM
ZZtopp

I really wish Turbonetics had a presence on this board the way APS does. It does not inspire confidence to almost never reply to customers questions or to do so only occasionally through a third party. You can call it "marketing" if you wish.....I call it having the knowledge and confidence in your product to address every concern in the target buyer group in a timely, informative manner.

I would love to consider the Turbonetics unit, but their lack of communication makes me worry about the quality of their customer support down the line.

Last edited by ZZtopp; 04-10-2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:51 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

zztop, Brad is the only one from Turbonetics that gets on here. He is the VP. They do alot more than APS does so i'm sure he doesn't have the time to post on here as often as he wished he could.

I'm also sure you could call them up and get help quickly.

Granted, it is GREAT to have Peter on here, I am glad we have someone with his knowledge and experience on here.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Whew...3 pages in a few hours.

APS Single T is a good kit. I just think it costs too much for the power it is capable of.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:02 PM
tig488

i think this is heading in the wrong direction, im sick of the APS vs Turbonetics issue also, when APS comes out with it (somewhere in the next 2 years if that soon) then we can compare the 2 systems, until then whats available is best.

Ball bearing turbo--+.5
Oil pan with return and baffling (no tapping oil pan)--no advantage, no big deal
Fuel return system, bigger injectors--+1, turbonetics also has bigger injectors
Plug and play electronics (Turbonetics is too, but you have to mail your ECU)--2 days
Less underhood engine heat--so what. more transmission heat, and road hazards.
Better FMIC--irrelevant
Superior pipe routing and sizing--irrelevant
Don't have to reroute/recharge your Air conditioning system--+.5 small hassle
Better engineered parts and placement--irrelevant, same as routing and sizing and bb

only advantage is the return fuel system, and unless you spend another 5-6k for a built engine, who cares, youll never need it. so i give you 2 points. not worth it for 1000 to me. i can tap an oil pan ( mine already is), i can wait 2 days for the ECU, and i can get the air cond refilled.

BUT....I will never, absolutely positively never, be comfortable driving around in a lowered car with the heart of my 5500 turbo kit, 6 inches off the ground, i dont care how many pictures im shown about the turbos location, i dont care if its "above" the crossmember, i scrub no less than 2 times a everyday, and my skin crawls everytime, so unless APS will give me a lifetime swap on busted up turbos (and engine replacement) i would not put the system on my car. i just couldnt do it. thats all im gonna say about that in this post.

now back to the cheapest prices, who has it?
Old 04-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

The fuel system is only good to ~520rwhp. Then you will need to get the APS tallboy plenum if I understand correctly. As they wanted to do this: use a Unichip piggyback (instead of a standalone which can scale the fuel injectors to make it idle and deliver fuel like stock...this is probably to cut down on costs and that they were more familiar with Unichip) and use 500cc injectors so that the injectors weren't "overkill" for daily driving and then add the stock fuel injectors to the APS Tallboy plenum to deliver enough fuel supply for something like 650-700rwhp.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:20 PM
xxlbeerZ

Originally Posted by tig488
i think this is heading in the wrong direction, im sick of the APS vs Turbonetics issue also, when APS comes out with it (somewhere in the next 2 years if that soon) then we can compare the 2 systems, until then whats available is best.

Ball bearing turbo--+.5 better spool up and lasts longer, should be important to any turbo buyer
Oil pan with return and baffling (no tapping oil pan)--no advantage, no big deal it matters to me, more oil capacity, cooling, and baffling are worth something. Plus my upper oil pan is not tattooed.
Fuel return system, bigger injectors--+1, turbonetics also has bigger injectors I believe APS injectors are 500cc, TN are 380cc, hence the term bigger
Plug and play electronics (Turbonetics is too, but you have to mail your ECU)--2 days read the manual, it's 3-5 business days
Less underhood engine heat--so what. more transmission heat, and road hazards. I agree here, I'd like to see some reading of how much heat the APS will introduce to the tranny. I'd also like some reports on the TN effecting the A/C and Headlight
Better FMIC--irrelevant more flow or better cooling, the age old IC debate. IMO the better flow of bar and plate for the turbos being used is advantageous to the pressure dropping horizontal bar and fin interoolers in the other kits
Superior pipe routing and sizing--irrelevant I guess all these years that people have been upgrading their downpipes was irrelevant? 3.5" downpipe is nice, just admit it. Plus the routing makes much more sense considering location and bends
Don't have to reroute/recharge your Air conditioning system--+.5 small hassle sometime ****ing with the A/C can be a huge nightmare, good luck
Better engineered parts and placement--irrelevant, same as routing and sizing and bbreview each part PIECE by PIECE and the APS wins almost every category

only advantage is the return fuel system, and unless you spend another 5-6k for a built engine, who cares, youll never need it. so i give you 2 points. not worth it for 1000 to me. i can tap an oil pan ( mine already is), i can wait 2 days for the ECU, and i can get the air cond refilled.return fuel system is important in ANY FI system when more fuel is required

BUT....I will never, absolutely positively never, be comfortable driving around in a lowered car with the heart of my 5500 turbo kit, 6 inches off the ground, i dont care how many pictures im shown about the turbos location, i dont care if its "above" the crossmember, i scrub no less than 2 times a everyday, and my skin crawls everytime, so unless APS will give me a lifetime swap on busted up turbos (and engine replacement) i would not put the system on my car. i just couldnt do it. thats all im gonna say about that in this post. I agree with you here as well, they need to prove to all of us that the turbo is SAFE in that location! However, other turbo car I've had the turbo was in the lower half of the engine bay and nothing ever happened to it. So I don't see debris or scraping being a problem because you would have to take out your crossmember, oil pan, and tranny first. I'm more concerned with heat on the transmission. Anyone with a Z has to be tranny paranoid!

now back to the cheapest prices, who has it?Less initial cost comes at a higher price later, this is why most of us make EDUCATED decisions.

Last edited by xxlbeerZ; 04-10-2005 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:26 PM
xxlbeerZ

APS Single T is a good kit. I just think it costs too much for the power it is capable of.

Do you really think anybody buying an ST kit is terribly concerned with doing over 550whp? If I could afford to do more HP than that, I would buy a TT kit.

Most of the SC and ST buyers will be leaving the motor stock, so the question becomes which kit will do 400whp the best, safest, and most reliable way? Things like an upgraded oil pan, IC, CAS wire, removability, down time for installation, etc. mean a lot to us. And as I pointed out above, things like heating up the tranny, A/C system, and headlight matter too! This is something both of these companies need to address with temperature readings on the parts around the turbo. This is the only pressing issue I have with both of the kits, the turbo location.

That aside, the only thing the Turbonetics has going for it is the first to market IMO. In my case, I could care less it's first to market considering it wouldn't even work on my car if I was dumb enough to buy it.

Last edited by xxlbeerZ; 04-10-2005 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by xxlbeerZ
Do you really think anybody buying an ST kit is terribly concerned with doing over 550whp? If I could afford to do more HP than that, I would buy a TT kit.

Most of the SC and ST buyers will be leaving the motor stock, so the question becomes which kit will do 400whp the best, safest, and most reliable way? Things like an upgraded oil pan, IC, CAS wire, removability, down time for installation, etc. mean a lot to us. And as I pointed out above, things like heating up the tranny, A/C system, and headlight matter too! This is something both of these companies need to address with temperature readings on the parts around the turbo. This is the only pressing issue I have with both of the kits, the turbo location.

That aside, the only thing the Turbonetics has going for it is the first to market IMO. In my case, I could care less it's first to market considering it wouldn't even work on my car if I was dumb enough to buy it.
I used to be. A twin turbo kit is at least $2k more.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:37 PM
xxlbeerZ

I used to be. A twin turbo kit is at least $2k more.
If I had $6 or $7k to build up the motor, $5200 + $2k for install for a Greedy kit with IC plus a couple of add on parts would probably be no big deal!

Since I don't have that kind of money, I'm shopping for who does 400whp the best.

Quick Reply: Lowest Turbonetics price