Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Lowest Turbonetics price

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 09:52 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xxlbeerZ
If I had $6 or $7k to build up the motor, $5200 + $2k for install for a Greedy kit with IC plus a couple of add on parts would probably be no big deal!

Since I don't have that kind of money, I'm shopping for who does 400whp the best.
I've actually decided to go with either the APS or GReddy TT kit. At this time...it's looking like APS TT kit. The power level i'm shooting for though...is currently going to have to have the turbo's on both kits upgraded...which is looking like ~$1-2k more. So i'm re-evaluating my power goals. Maybe i'll just stick to 550, 650, and 700rwhp. I'm hoping to do the APS TT kit and leave it with stock internals with the APS tt kit until I get Arias pistons, Pauter rods, ARP head and main studs, and Darton sleeves. I'll then send those to SGP Racing to get the shortblock built. Then install that and boost to 550rwhp and 650rwhp. Then get heads ported and polished, cams, and Ferrea valvetrain and install that and boost to 700rwhp. If I get tired of 700rwhp...replace the turbo's...i'm hoping that doesn't happen.

Man oh man...did this thread get off topic.

Have a good night man and take it easy.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:04 PM
xxlbeerZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You too. Every Turbonetics thread gets jacked up.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:03 AM
taurran

You too. Every Turbonetics thread gets jacked up.
Go home fanboi.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:22 AM
xxlbeerZ

Originally Posted by taurran
Go home fanboi.

I'm not a fanboy (sorry, I'm not cool enough to use oi), if you read the poster asked. I've asked for reasons to buy the Turbonetics over ANY other turbo kit for the Z, not just compared to APS. I'm not a fanboy of any particular kit, BUT I am rather the opposite about the Turbonetics. When you dissect the kit piece by piece and as a whole, I think I post valid concerns about what you're getting compared to the competitors.

Last edited by xxlbeerZ; 04-11-2005 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:17 AM
taurran

Well, you are at very least a troll. Bragging that you helped jack someone's thread even after a mod told you to stop is testament to that...

What really helped me make the choice was the fact that the only unichip tuner in my state is a Subaru dealership. If I didn't mind my turbo Z to be tuned by some knucklehead that tunes boosted economy cars for a living, and has never so much as lifted the hood of a 350z... then yeah it might be worth the wait.

Even with the AAM fuel return system I am buying at the time of install, my Turbonetics kit will still be cheaper than the APS kit ($5350), AND I can have it installed in 10-12 hours. I'm buying a single turbo because I'm wanting a turbo kit for under $6k installed, rather than a supercharger, and that is exactly what I'm getting.

Your vert plate intercooler argument is also questionable. How solid of gains do you actually think this will provide? If I were THAT concerned about sqeaking out every possible ounce of performance from my car I wouldn't be buying a SINGLE turbo anyway...

Mainly, the decision for me was based on availability and value. The Turbonetics kit will give me greater performance gains than a Vortech SC, for LESS. It is also available now, and I don't have to wait for god knows how long for a Nissan tuner in my area becomes authorized by APS.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:18 AM
MIAPLAYA

I'm not a fanboy (sorry, I'm not cool enough to use oi), if you read the poster asked. I've asked for reasons to buy the Turbonetics over ANY other turbo kit for the Z, not just compared to APS. I'm not a fanboy of any particular kit, BUT I am rather the opposite about the Turbonetics. When you dissect the kit piece by piece and as a whole, I think I post valid concerns about what you're getting compared to the competitors.
Wow well this thread is amazingly off topic....who would have guessed...

Let me respond to a few things...first.... Besides APS who is really on the boards marketing their kit and answering every last question about a kit. (Manufacturer wise) If you think about ALL of the forced induction kit makers theres what 1 MAYBE 2. News flash but Turbonetics doesn't just make turbo kits for 350Zs are even just for the 7 USDM cars listed on APS webpage. They make kits for HUNDREDs of applications. From diesels to imports. Not only that but they are one of the largest performance turbocharger and intercooler manufacturers around. That being said I think I have done as much as I can (more then anyone who doesn't work for a company would) to bring everyones concerns and questions to Turbonetics and post answers. And I don't just pick up the phone and call Turbonetics like ANYONE could do to get the answers. I go straight to the top. Brad is the HMIC at Turbonetics. So I think its understandable that he may not always have time to get on the boards to answer everything. As a matter of fact as a point of business Turbonetics dislikes even working via email and chat. They prefer to talk to the customer one on one to discuss anything that could come up. They are the kind of business that likes to listen to each and every customers wants and concerns and address them right there on the phone or in person. Not waiting around for an email. So to say that Turbonetics has got issues cause they are not on here everyday I think is wrong. I would rather them be working on new designs and ways to imporve old ones then posting all day on a forum. Now as for the supposed "nothing good statement". Its just plain incorrect. Would someone care to explain to me how the APS turbo is SOOOOO superior to the Turobnetics unit. Lets see they are both ball bearing units (albeit different designs), they are both balanced and VSR tested to the ragged edge prior to shipping, they are both VERY efficient, sorry but I dont see it. I'm not sure what sway APS has or if this unit was a custom compressor wheel for this kit but I know FOR A FACT that Turbonetics designed the compressor wheel in this turbo SPECIFICALLY for this kit. Oil pan, sure it will help, but how much? You may see a decrease in oil temps under extreme track conditions but thats it. The whole "oil starvation theory" although a concern has pretty much been proven worng. And not by anyone but by an experienced shop who INSTALLS APS KITS. As for the intercooler I would be MORE then happy to check the pressure drop across both units and see what the results are. I'm pretty sure you're going to see that its not much different. This statement about the Turbonetics kit affecting the headlight boggles me....In case you haven't pulled out your headlight theres metal in between it and the engine bay. Not to mention my car has seen enough dyno pulls and road time that if there was an issue I think I would have known by know. And that doesn't include the Turbonetics Z that has even MORE road time (coming up on a year) without even a hint of this... the downpipe I dont know how many ways I can say its 3.5".... The AC.... in the manual I believe it specifically says to consult a knowledgeable AC shop if you do not have the equipment to do this... Total cost to replace the AC line which can be done WELL before the actual turbo install is no more then $100 and this is based on estimates I have gotten myself at local shops. I think Nissan said they would do it for like $145. So no you dont have to mess with it your self. Fuel system, again I can't say it any other way other then how I have. The APS "reutrn fuel system" is not even close to what a true return style system is. It regulates and dumps the fuel at the pump. A true return system like phunks, or AAMs sends ALL the fuel to the injectors and reutrns whatever is not needed. Sharif ran his car on a system that is honestly damn near identical to the Turbonetics setup for thousands of miles and hard boosted runs and NEVER had ONE fuel issue. As for the injectors Turbonetics chose to go with the 380CC injectors to make them as plug and play as possible. The injectors with the APS kit require that you remove and replace the injector harness to make them work. The Turbonetics injectors not only plug directly into the fuel rail but plug into the STOCK injector harness plugs. For a DIY this is a VERY nice feature and makes install that much simpler as well as providing one less point of failure by utilizing the OEM loom. Turbo location...tig couldn't have said it better...there is no F@CKING WAY I want my turbo subjected to puddles, rocks and any other kind of random **** I see on the Cali freeways. APS can make the claim that its above the frame rail all day but if you look at the pics the turbo sits right where one of the stock cats used to be... I would be happy to post pics of my mangled stock cats for you tonight to show you what can happen to something in that location. Why do you think Turbonetics placed their turbo in the engine bay? Not to mention that a 700 degree F unit sitting right next to my multi thousand dollar transmission is not what I am looking for. I guess I could do a search and post all the threads of failed sotck trannies with no F/I done but it would result and hundreds of threads. If the damn thing doesn't work well in stock form what makes you think adding 700 degrees of ambient heat is going to do for it... Back to the subject of injectors for a second. Currently installed on Turbonetics Z are 550 cc injectors that are also drop in plug in and a flash that controls them. Turbonetics will offer this as an upgrade for those wanting to boost more then 9.5 PSI. Whew that was some typing.

As if all that wasn't enough I would like to add that by placing the turbo so low on the car the APS kit is going to require a oil scavenging pump to get the spent oil out of the turbo...Sure sure its an "aircraft/race" quality pump provided good for blah blah blah time...etc....etc.... TO me its just one more point of failure....

Last edited by MIAPLAYA; 04-11-2005 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:32 AM
xxlbeerZ

Well, you are at very least a troll. Bragging that you helped jack someone's thread even after a mod told you to stop is testament to that...

I wasn't bragging, merely pointed out that they always get hijacked into off-topic-ness.

My decision on TN was easier than yours, it won't even work on my car.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:51 AM
ZZtopp

Mia,

There's a new invention...it's called a paragraph.

So when are we gonna get a driving report on a Turbonetics car? We've been through all this BS many times before, and we keep hearing how the TN kit is available NOW and it only takes a day to install.....so where are the real world reviews??? Isn't anyone buying and installing this kit?
Old 04-11-2005, 08:58 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by ZZtopp
Mia,

There's a new invention...it's called a paragraph.

So when are we gonna get a driving report on a Turbonetics car? We've been through all this BS many times before, and we keep hearing how the TN kit is available NOW and it only takes a day to install.....so where are the real world reviews??? Isn't anyone buying and installing this kit?
LOL yeah I got carried away on my reply and didn't feel like going through and seperating it...As for driving report. My car is offically done body shop wise and I'll have it Friday. keeptrying is installing his now but is having some custom work done so its taking him a while. projectsherv just received his and is getting it installed this Thursday i believe. There are some other installs that I know of but the owners are not on this board...
Old 04-11-2005, 08:59 AM
MIAPLAYA

Oh BTW this Saturday I believe I am going to be the Turbonetics test car for the Sport Z mag shootout so look for that soon as well..
Old 04-11-2005, 10:09 AM
tig488

the horse is now dead.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:24 AM
ZZtopp

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
LOL yeah I got carried away on my reply and didn't feel like going through and seperating it...As for driving report. My car is offically done body shop wise and I'll have it Friday. keeptrying is installing his now but is having some custom work done so its taking him a while. projectsherv just received his and is getting it installed this Thursday i believe. There are some other installs that I know of but the owners are not on this board...
Great.....looking forward to your report.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:26 PM
xluv2eatx

this is some thread...i would say a couple of things, but i choose not to...not only to make a big explision in this thread, but to keep it nice and calm in here, its like everyone is on 'roids in here man....mia, you got my props, im waiting for my turbonetics kit...patiently...lol
Old 04-11-2005, 02:31 PM
ZZtopp

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Oh BTW this Saturday I believe I am going to be the Turbonetics test car for the Sport Z mag shootout so look for that soon as well..
Do you know what other cars are going to be in the shootout?
Old 04-11-2005, 02:32 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

zztop, every kit is going to be there.

One with APS, Turbonetics, APS single turbo, GReddy, SFR, Power Enterprise, etc. etc.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:38 PM
ZZtopp

Originally Posted by nis350ztt

One with APS, Turbonetics, APS single turbo, GReddy, SFR, Power Enterprise, etc. etc.
Really?? APS single turbo? How'd they manage that???

Sounds like an amazing comparo.....too bad we'll have to wait months to read about it.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:41 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by nis350ztt

Pretty sure it will be only the APS TT.

Overall this shootout doesn't mean much. They will be on seperate cars with other mods than a turbo kit. The real test would be to install all the kits on the same car, or get a group of stock cars and install the kits with no other modifications.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

I assume the APS single turbo will be there...

I don't see the point of this anyway...
Old 04-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Pretty sure it will be only the APS TT.

Overall this shootout doesn't mean much. They will be on seperate cars with other mods than a turbo kit. The real test would be to install all the kits on the same car, or get a group of stock cars and install the kits with no other modifications.
Ah...

I agree completely...I just don't see what good it's going to do.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:09 PM
MIAPLAYA

The APS single turbo will not be there...

The cars include: Turbonetics Single Turbo Z, JWT tt kit, APS TT kit, PE TT kit, Greddy TT kit, and SFR TT kit...

Quick Reply: Lowest Turbonetics price