Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vdc

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 05:24 PM
gersteinp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I respect your explanation and safety is definitely more important than a blown engine. However, there's a bizarre perspective on your part as well--driving maniacally over 80 MPH and depending on VDC, not the common sense of keeping that kind of driving on the track and off the street, to keep you safe.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:57 PM
2JZfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys, you can blow up an N/A motor by running it lean too, it's not like a motor is bulletproof as long as it doesn't have boost... what does that have to do with anything? it proves that Nissan wouldn't design a system to run the motor in a dangerous (lean) condition even if the system wasn't designed with boost in mind... if "VDC active" actually spelled dangerous engine conditions, the people would be lining up with blown motors every winter when the first snowfall hit... in those conditions, your VDC may be activating dozens of times and for many seconds at a time, and if you were dangerously lean throughout all of this, even your stock motor would eventually melt down...

just like Charles said, the ECU will completely skip an injection event, which will amount to such a lean mixture that combustion won't even take place... for more proof that this is not harmful to the engine, look at the exotic race-oriented traction control systems from companies like RaceLogic... These systems are designed to drop injection events to control wheelspeed... they are used on high power cars (boosted ones at that) in race conditions with no ill effects...

beyond dropping injection events, your throttle-by-wire system allows the ECU to effectively "let off the gas" for you... so in this case, you are dropping off power without any alteration of the normal combustion process, you are simply ingesting less air/fuel mixture, which is obviously 100% safe...

the only real failure I have heard of on any OEM traction control system was a brake failure on a car that used the braking system to control wheelspin... when road raced for about an hour, a friend had his stock brakes disintegrate on his Mustang because he forgot to disable this system...

the logic "it hasn't been proven to be harmful but why not do it just in case" really has no end to it... there are plenty of real things that can cause engine failures, so I don't think people should be distracted with fictional ones...
Old 05-01-2005, 06:51 PM
canton_g35

I have both of KP Tech's mods and I love them.

I also have some for sale if anyone's interested.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:11 PM
KPierson
Banned

As far as VDC 'lifting off of the gas' and then returning control back to the user who has the pedal floored it is important to remember that the VQ35 uses an electronic throttle body, not mechanical. Once VDC is 'done' with its throttle repositioning the throttle body won't magically end up wide open, it will open at a rate designated by the ECU, which is not instant! I personally don't feel VDC is a danger to the motor, as, like has been said, it is a throttle control. Also, any a/f over 22:1 (I think it was) won't ignite (they have some really good explanations on the race logic web site).
Old 05-01-2005, 07:12 PM
bacalhau16

If i never have to shut off my VDC while I drive, then it never will be. I too have felt that at times if it were not on, im not sure if i wouldve had the same results without it. If it completly stops the flow of fuel then, im not sure what the concern is because nothing can happen, and on top of that it controls the tb to close, so it would be as if the engine was shut off for a second in a way. u cant blow a motor if there is nothing in the cylinder to combust!
Old 05-01-2005, 07:23 PM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by phunk
BTW My Z has never had a CAS cable upgrade
How ironic, my car doesn't have a KP technologies VDC memory module!
Old 05-01-2005, 11:02 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gersteinp
I respect your explanation and safety is definitely more important than a blown engine. However, there's a bizarre perspective on your part as well--driving maniacally over 80 MPH and depending on VDC, not the common sense of keeping that kind of driving on the track and off the street, to keep you safe.
oh i dont depend on it... but its nice to know its there just in case. but its not like i go sliding into situations telling myself "its ok, VDC will save me!"