Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

lots of smoke--turbo seal???

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005 | 09:28 PM
g356gear

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
overflow tank would not be caused by insufficient radiator or something else along those lines???

the reason i ask is this,
charles' car
ernies' car
my car

all overflow in that tank when run hard for prolonged time...starting to see a pattern here--is this another one of the new discoveries that we have paved the road to uncover? any other possibility other than headgasket problem?
we all used arp head studs, all used stock gaskets (strong as hell) and all have similar builds

please explain
TODD

Possibly could be the radiator but if I am not mistaken Charles has an aftermarket radiator. Some of the early 300zx TT iron blocks had coolant flow problems to one of the rear cylinders that would lead to overheating and failure under high boost applications. Many of the high end builders would grind the passages out to improve flow on those blocks. From looking at the aluminum 350Z block I don't see that being an issue. I have an idea!! I think it could possibly be some trapped air in the coolant system which is being superheated and with the increased rpm's, load, and coolant flow the superheated air pockets are being released..... which would mimic a headgasket problem exactly!! That may explain why Charles' problem went away.

Last edited by g356gear; 05-03-2005 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-03-2005 | 09:31 PM
Gman2004

I was going to get the timing maps stabalized also with my l-spec but never did. Sharif did this, but I recall reading that the most conversative map they copied to the other two maps was way to convervative. Can you add timing with the emanage if the ecu is taking out too much?
Old 05-03-2005 | 09:32 PM
g356gear

Originally Posted by Gman2004
I was going to get the timing maps stabalized also with my l-spec but never did. Sharif did this, but I recall reading that the most conversative map they copied to the other two maps was way to convervative. Can you add timing with the emanage if the ecu is taking out too much?
Only timing removal with the e-manage if I am not mistaken.
Old 05-04-2005 | 08:07 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by g356gear
Only timing removal with the e-manage if I am not mistaken.
That is correct. Instead, I would suggest that you ask TS to copy their Greddy timing map into all three maps. The Greddy map has roughly 18 degress of timing at WOT, which is close to perfect. You can retard a couple more degrees at the trq peak via eManage.
Old 05-04-2005 | 08:10 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

I have an idea!! I think it could possibly be some trapped air in the coolant system which is being superheated and with the increased rpm's, load, and coolant flow the superheated air pockets are being released..... which would mimic a headgasket problem exactly!! That may explain why Charles' problem went away.

That is an EXCELLENT observation. I recall when I FIRST installed my turbo kit about a year ago, we had some bubbles in the cooling system, and went for a test drive. Upon return, guess what, the overflow tank had bubbled over. Your theory might hold some water (no pun intended), in that air trapped in the system can easily overheat the engine, result in very high cooling system pressure.

And the 350Z cooling system is notoriously difficult to purge of all air.
Old 05-04-2005 | 09:21 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

. I have an idea!! I think it could possibly be some trapped air in the coolant system which is being superheated and with the increased rpm's, load, and coolant flow the superheated air pockets are being released..... which would mimic a headgasket problem exactly!! That may explain why Charles' problem went away.
funny you say that, i had a conversation with my tuner yesterday, he said the exact thing, they are flushing my coolant again to see if that is the case!
Old 05-04-2005 | 10:29 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

I have flushed my coolant several times, my heat blasts hardcore at idle... i have definatly got all the air out of this car. I took it out last night and the problem is still there at higher boost.

I believe it to be a combination of head lift and poor deck surface. I will be pulling my engine out to fix it very soon now... I have a full shop right now but every car here is super close to being done.

-Charles
Old 05-04-2005 | 10:49 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by phunk
I have flushed my coolant several times, my heat blasts hardcore at idle... i have definatly got all the air out of this car. I took it out last night and the problem is still there at higher boost.

I believe it to be a combination of head lift and poor deck surface. I will be pulling my engine out to fix it very soon now... I have a full shop right now but every car here is super close to being done.

-Charles

hopefully me and ernie just have air---we have not flushed out several times...good luck to you charles!!! ernie was very impressed with your meticulous tuning stragedies!!!
Old 05-04-2005 | 11:04 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

i actually meant to say bled rather then flushed... but yea you get it.
Old 05-04-2005 | 11:10 AM
Gary Evans

Default Head Gasket Sealing

Sounds like the head may be lifting under high cylinder pressure. This is a common problem on turbocharged bikes and it may not show up on compression or leak down test. The symptom is often times is that it runs fine off boost but under boost allows compression gases into the engine water jacket thereby overflowing the container. If the engine uses a tri-metal gasket the deck and head sealing surface finish is critical and requires special care that some machine shops cannot or do not provide.
Take a look at this -
http://tinyurl.com/5n89u
Old 05-04-2005 | 11:40 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by Gary Evans
Sounds like the head may be lifting under high cylinder pressure. This is a common problem on turbocharged bikes and it may not show up on compression or leak down test. The symptom is often times is that it runs fine off boost but under boost allows compression gases into the engine water jacket thereby overflowing the container. If the engine uses a tri-metal gasket the deck and head sealing surface finish is critical and requires special care that some machine shops cannot or do not provide.
Take a look at this -
http://tinyurl.com/5n89u
informative link--i'm still betting on the air in the system theory--i don't want to pull my motor for at least 5 years
Old 05-04-2005 | 11:50 AM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

re: http://tinyurl.com/5n89u
GRINDING
Years ago, most engine rebuilders resurfaced heads by wet grinding. It is still used by many rebuilders because grinding can produce a very smooth finish. Silicon carbide grinding wheels and segments are generally recommended for both cast iron and aluminum. Grinding aluminum can be tricky because the stone tends to load up with metal, causing it to overheat and score the surface. Precoating the aluminum with lubricant and using plenty of coolant should prevent clogging. A faster transverse speed should also be used, and the depth of cut limited to no more than .0005 to .001 in. It’s also important to dress the grinding wheel often to keep the grain open—but not on the final pass so the stone will leave a smoother finish.
I've done this (grinding). Blanchard, Surface, Jig, etc.

Grinding aluminum is a b!tch.

I hope this isn't required.
Old 05-04-2005 | 04:33 PM
richc86

Let me see if I got this right....you are throwing white smoke from your exhaust???
Old 05-04-2005 | 06:42 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Default nope-not white-greyish/black=oil

Originally Posted by richc86
Let me see if I got this right....you are throwing white smoke from your exhaust???
looked white at night, darker in daylight-smell distinct oil
Old 05-05-2005 | 09:07 AM
royce so

if it's kinda bluish and smells like oil then it's the turbo seal.
Old 05-07-2005 | 05:36 AM
LittleMT

Originally Posted by newmexicoZ33
First, sorry to hear about the smoke, but hopefully it's not anything major. As far as your track runs go, even though the actual time is not that great, the trap speed is telling you the "actual" times your car is capable of. That 118mph trap speed should get you deep into the twelves with a little more practice and some traction (drag radials). With slicks, who knows just how far down you can go. Just to give you an example, I know of an SRT-4 up here trapping only 103-104mph that got down to a 13.5s on slicks.

My son got a 13.4 in Albuquerque with slicks on a basicly stock SRT-4...He is in the Blue car...

Old 05-07-2005 | 05:49 AM
LittleMT

i am already in the 12's for sure based off of my trap...correction factor or not..my problem is traction..once that is resolved, 12 second passes will be consitant...11 seconds will be doable..and with a little bit of practice low 11's will be a reality..

ooooooh yeah

so, turns out- driver side turbo seals gone- oil on exhaust and compressor side---

sending out turbos and ecu to be reflashed today..be up and running in less than 2 weeks--hopefully

TODD

No doubt about it, that trap is good for a solid twelve. But don't be so quick on the 11's let alone a low 11. Let me tell you from 1st hand experience a 11 is very diffulcult to run at Albuquerque Dragway, when and if you do so will be cause for a major celebration, but frankly, I would like your chances alot better at a better facility.

Bill Ross is running low 11's in his Cobra and trapping in the 130's. If you raced him it would be a ugly loss for you.

Anyway, I am sorry to hear about whatever this latest issue is and I hope you get it resolved quickly.
Old 05-07-2005 | 06:23 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by LittleMT
Anyway, I am sorry to hear about whatever this latest issue is and I hope you get it resolved quickly.
thanks, i'm having both turbos rebuilt stronger- they will be done by wed/thurs...car should be back this friday...

as far as the times...i think i can get my trap to about 125 or so...we'll see what happens, i'm not gonna push it w/ drag radials until i get the upgraded axles that i ordered...i'm trying to minimize downtime due to breaking parts!

TODD
Old 05-07-2005 | 08:12 AM
LittleMT

thanks, i'm having both turbos rebuilt stronger- they will be done by wed/thurs...car should be back this friday...

as far as the times...i think i can get my trap to about 125 or so...we'll see what happens, i'm not gonna push it w/ drag radials until i get the upgraded axles that i ordered...i'm trying to minimize downtime due to breaking parts!

TODD

Good idea on those upgraded axles, at this power level, several wink links may show their ugly face...