Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS Twin Turbo Install Begins!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 10:07 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh man dont tell me that... i could be a total bad *** with that thing... as rickety as they are (especially that gen), you gotta love'em
Old 05-09-2005, 10:09 PM
D@ActiveTuning

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah it definitely is a bad *** car! Also pretty rare to find a 91-92 Z28 in good condition low miles like that....definitely gotta appreciate it....it was quite hard to find in the first place.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:12 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

WOW just looked at the pics... sorry to go off topic but that thing is beautiful. i dont think i have seen one in that good of shape in a LONG LONG time. I would love to have that car, but I am also looking to buy a house... then again the one I am looking at right now has a 4 car garage... hmmmmmmmmmmmm. ill trade you a new greddy TT w/FMIC kit and a low miles short block for it! (i got more parts then money right now, and I dont even have many parts hah)
Old 05-09-2005, 10:15 PM
D@ActiveTuning

Lol if it was my Z28 I'd consider it, but it's one of my best friends. He's trying to sell it now and get a Viper.

Well if you know anybody that would be interested in it, make sure to send them my way!

By the way, I'll be in your area this weekend: http://meet.activetuning.com
Old 05-09-2005, 10:18 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

i know exactly where that is... i drive by there a few times a week. hmm. i may see if i can swing it... might be wrenching this weekend but ill see.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:22 PM
D@ActiveTuning

Ok well if you decide to stop by, there will be two people in black ActiveTuning polo's I'm the younger one
Old 05-10-2005, 06:38 AM
VR3

Originally Posted by D@ActiveTuning
Lol if it was my Z28 I'd consider it, but it's one of my best friends. He's trying to sell it now and get a Viper.

Well if you know anybody that would be interested in it, make sure to send them my way!

By the way, I'll be in your area this weekend: http://meet.activetuning.com
Not to go OT but since your in the area you should stop by on Sunday

https://my350z.com/forum/north-central/120387-chicago-spring-meet-part-ii-sunday-may-15-2pm-the-ram.html

Looking forward to your install write up w/pics!
Old 05-10-2005, 08:09 AM
mojo powered

Originally Posted by phunk
yes i found it ironic that the twin turbo kit that still keeps the stock crash beam in place uses such a friggen heavy intercooler that you probably dont even need it... i wish a Mack truck good luck is busting thru that thing... I call it the kangaroo skull buster.
ooh I think I could find you a Mack Truck that could crash that IC rather easy

I work for Mack
Old 05-10-2005, 08:21 AM
D@ActiveTuning

Originally Posted by VR3
Not to go OT but since your in the area you should stop by on Sunday

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120387

Looking forward to your install write up w/pics!
Wish I could, but I'm just flying in for the day (I'm in VA), and leaving that night. Thanks for the invite though! I wish the car was done by then lol.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, Dave you have ***** and some decent wrenching skills to be doing this job on your own. I remember that Camaro when I met you the 1st time down in Ocean City like 2 years ago, when you had the Altima. I raced it a few times(only had intake), close down low but he'd pull me by about 1 car in 4th....Id like a rematch please j/k Congrats on the kit and good luck with install.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:00 AM
D@ActiveTuning

Originally Posted by Alberto
Wow, Dave you have ***** and some decent wrenching skills to be doing this job on your own. I remember that Camaro when I met you the 1st time down in Ocean City like 2 years ago, when you had the Altima. I raced it a few times(only had intake), close down low but he'd pull me by about 1 car in 4th....Id like a rematch please j/k Congrats on the kit and good luck with install.
Lol, all it really needs is a tuning and the car will be good for mid 12's easy. Head and cams, easy 11's. All the rest of the work is already done which is cool.

Will you be down in OC in June? I'll be there in the show from the 10th-12th
Old 05-10-2005, 02:29 PM
cloudy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice on the APS TT install, cant wait to see it finished...
but btw i hate your sidemarkers :P.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:31 PM
D@ActiveTuning

Originally Posted by cloudy
Nice on the APS TT install, cant wait to see it finished...
but btw i hate your sidemarkers :P.
Lol, I like em! One manifold is off now!!
Old 05-10-2005, 02:38 PM
failsafe306

Any tips you know of for making the manifold removal any easier now that you have one off? i.e., any special tools needed other than your standard wrench set?
Old 05-10-2005, 03:58 PM
D@ActiveTuning

Originally Posted by ccartwright
Any tips you know of for making the manifold removal any easier now that you have one off? i.e., any special tools needed other than your standard wrench set?
Well it depends...I'm not sure what's suggested when you are doing just headers, but since there is so much taken off with the turbo, it wasn't THAT bad...I could see it would be VERY hard if some of that other good stuff was still in place though. As for tools, just a ratchet, 14mm deep socket, and an extension was all I used. I used the top of a hydraulic jack as a breaker bar on some of the bolts and that helped out a lot to get them to break loose initially.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:44 PM
failsafe306

Well that's good to hear. I've read the horror stories about people installing headers, so I was a little worried. I would think the manifolds and fuel system would be the most tedious parts of the install. I know I'm gonna have a few celebration beers once I get the new manifolds and turbos mounted
Old 05-10-2005, 04:47 PM
D@ActiveTuning

Both manifolds and cats are now out! Not much left to remove, but the pile of stuff off the car is getting quite large! As for tips, the last bolt on the right side header closest to the firewall is a pain. It's best to get the steel water tube out and the cat, then there is a lot more room to play with. I got the 14mm socket on there and the ratchet pointing up towards the hood (doing this from underneath the car), then took the breaker bar I mentioned before (the top part of the hydraulic jack) from the top of the engine and broke the bolt loose. After that, back under the car and it was simple from there
Attached Thumbnails APS Twin Turbo Install Begins!-img_0504.jpg   APS Twin Turbo Install Begins!-img_0505.jpg   APS Twin Turbo Install Begins!-img_0506.jpg   APS Twin Turbo Install Begins!-img_0507.jpg   APS Twin Turbo Install Begins!-img_0508.jpg  

Old 05-10-2005, 04:49 PM
D@ActiveTuning

And for anybody interested in the "other" Z, we're changing the headers now too:
Attached Thumbnails APS Twin Turbo Install Begins!-img_0509.jpg   APS Twin Turbo Install Begins!-img_0510.jpg   APS Twin Turbo Install Begins!-img_0511.jpg  
Old 05-10-2005, 04:50 PM
D@ActiveTuning

Originally Posted by ccartwright
Well that's good to hear. I've read the horror stories about people installing headers, so I was a little worried. I would think the manifolds and fuel system would be the most tedious parts of the install. I know I'm gonna have a few celebration beers once I get the new manifolds and turbos mounted
No problems with the fuel system (at least the rail) that was pretty easy to get off.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:24 PM
Madelinot

Would it be easier to remove the hood completely? I think I will do that...

Quick Reply: APS Twin Turbo Install Begins!