Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS Twin Turbo Install Begins!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 02:47 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll try to get a couple good ones on my cam phone tonight for ya.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:48 PM
D@ActiveTuning

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ccartwright
I'll try to get a couple good ones on my cam phone tonight for ya.
Awesome, thanks dude!
Old 05-28-2005, 10:33 PM
D@ActiveTuning

Alrighty, after day one of weekend TT, both turbos are on, both manifolds, coolant lines are run, oil pan is in, oil lines are run, some of the stock stuff is back on. Let me tell you, installing those turbos is not fun. There is one bolt on each which seems impossible to get on, and after hours of trying we finally got it.

Where we stopped today is the first inlet duct on the drivers side for the intercooler off the turbo....just from what we looked at, this will not be fun either, not sure how we're going to access these bolts...also we keep having to pull the heat shield off to make more clearance.

If anybody that has done the install has any suggestions for that, let me know!
Old 05-28-2005, 11:07 PM
failsafe306

I took pics the other night of my heat shields, but I can't seem to figure out how to email them to my comp so I have no way of posting them.

I just made sure I got the heat shields very close to the manifolds before installing the manifolds on the car. I used a hammer with some fabric folded over the tip of it to keep from damaging the sheilds.

I agree with you about those turbo bolts, those are a major pain. The one on the RHS turbo, front, closest to the engine was really baffling me till I realized I could just use a long socket ext and get right up to it, but the front one on the outboard side was really hard to get started by hand, but after about an hour of trying different ways, I finally got it from the top. The front engine-side bolt on the LHS turbo was no fun either.

For the LHS compressor outlet duct on the turbo, you'll need to drill out the hole on the ducts flange that is right under where the tube makes that 90 degree bend, just in order to even get the bolt in there. Don't make the hole bigger in diameter, just kinda make the hole more angled so the bolt to get in there. Then if you can do that, pray to God that you can get all the other screws started without knocking the gasket out of place. I honestly think the LHS compressor inlet and outlet ducts were almost as hard as putting on the turbos. I had to remove the a/c compressor to install the LHS compressor inlet duct. The RHS compressor ducts are a piece 'o cake though, so make sure you save that side for last.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:13 PM
failsafe306

Oh one more thing; on the LHS compressor outlet, put the bolt in the drilled out hole I mentioned previously first, THEN put the duct into place with the gasket. After you start that bolt, go under the car to start the bottom and back side bolts. Then about a half hour of micro-wrenching and you're there!

Last edited by ccartwright; 05-28-2005 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:19 PM
D@ActiveTuning

Awesome, thanks a ton for the suggestions, you may have saved a ton of time for us tomorrow

As for the turbo's, we got the LHS in from the top as well Basically lay on the engine, one arm from the back of the motor, the other from the side, and just pray lol.

Yeah I thought maybe I was using the wrong bolts with the outlet because it didn't seem to fit...guess we'll drill that angle in, again thanks for that heads up!

So after the compressor outlets are installed, anything else that's pretty hard? Or is it all fairly easy after that?
Old 05-28-2005, 11:34 PM
failsafe306

Lastnight, I got as far as mounting the intercooler and remounting all the hood latch area things...easy. I couldn't get the incoming ducts going into the intercooler to line up just right though, but I didn't really spend much time trying because I was exhausted. But that's as far as I am at this point, I'm doing everything in order as the manual suggests, so all I have left is: BOV=easy.....boost control system=doesn't LOOK too hard; we'll see....fuel system=shouldn't be all that hard....ecu=fairly easy I hope.

So as far as I can tell, once you've gotten the incoming/outgoing ducts mounted to the compressors, there shouldn't be any more really tight areas to deal with. But of course that's what I thought after I installed the manifolds, and again after I installed the turbos lol.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:58 AM
Madelinot

Great stuff guys, keep it coming. I will be installing my kit in about 2 weeks once the G35 kit comes in and all these tips will save me a lot of time. Right now, I'm just installing my gauges and getting everything ready for the LOOOONNNGG weekend.

PS, can someone post a picture of the front radiator area where the APS coolant reservoir mounts. The radiator support is completely different on the G35 and I could not fit the reservoir there.

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2005, 11:22 AM
basam350z

You guys are very brave doing the install your selves. It's that first time doing something that's such a pain in the butt. I'm sure you can install another one in 3/4 the time.

Is this Z in Wisconsin?

Last edited by basam350z; 05-29-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:55 AM
D@ActiveTuning

Alrighty update on my end! Upgraded fuel pump and regulator is installed and the line is ready to run under the car. We're working on both compressor outlets now. Here's a few pics:
Attached Thumbnails APS Twin Turbo Install Begins!-img_0634.jpg   APS Twin Turbo Install Begins!-img_0636.jpg   APS Twin Turbo Install Begins!-img_0639.jpg   APS Twin Turbo Install Begins!-img_0645.jpg  
Old 05-29-2005, 11:56 AM
D@ActiveTuning

Originally Posted by basam350z
You guys are very brave doing the install your selves. It's that first time doing something that's such a pain in the butt. I'm sure you can install another one in 3/4 the time.

Is this Z in Wisconsin?
Thanks, I'm sure you're right

The Z is in Northern VA
Old 05-30-2005, 10:16 PM
D@ActiveTuning

Alright guys, the turbo is on and tested! Everything looks great, I took it out for a quick 2 minute spin....so far...awesome! The ground was a bit wet, so just letting on the gas, the tires would spin in first, so I didn't get too much into boost...we'll see tomorrow.

Just a couple minor things to clean up and put back on, and it'll be 100% complete. Video and all kinds good stuff to come, here's some pics for your enjoyment.
Attached Thumbnails APS Twin Turbo Install Begins!-1.jpg   APS Twin Turbo Install Begins!-2.jpg   APS Twin Turbo Install Begins!-3.jpg   APS Twin Turbo Install Begins!-4.jpg   APS Twin Turbo Install Begins!-5.jpg  

Old 05-30-2005, 11:27 PM
shawn_s

hey i was wondering how much that kit costed you, and was there any other costs u had to get out of the way in the install?
Old 05-31-2005, 12:19 AM
failsafe306

Congrats man, good job. I'm 98% finished with mine; all I have left is putting on the test pipes and y-pipe, all fluids, and bumper. I hope it works! Tomorrow night we'll see.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:42 AM
D@ActiveTuning

Originally Posted by shawn_s
hey i was wondering how much that kit costed you, and was there any other costs u had to get out of the way in the install?
Cost I cannot discuss, but I saw SGP Racing selling the kit recently for $7,400 shipped I believe...

Other stuff I bought:

- Spark Plugs
- Power Steering Fluid
- Oil
- Oil Filter
- Coolant
- Additional Tools
- All kinds of grease, pipe sealant, liquid gasket sorta stuff
- Extra vacuum hoses

Basically if you have the tools, it's probably about another $100 or more in stuff you need to get...nothing really major.

Good luck ccartwright, keep us updated on yours!
Old 05-31-2005, 01:05 PM
D@ActiveTuning

Oh yeah I forgot about gauges too.

Anyways, got to drive the car some more...this thing is insanely awesome. The car is completely transformed, it has so much power throughout the entire RPM range starting around 2k. Exhaust note sounds awesome. BOV sounds sweet, and is actually pretty loud for those that were asking about that in a previous post.

I raced heads up against my good friends BPU TT Supra (ran 12.7 @ 120mph with 19" wheels)....Because of .5 liters more, earlier spool, and higher compression, I smoked him off the line, and then just took off from there. Once his boost starting kicking in, he caught up a bit, but at about 100 I was still a few cars ahead.

Last edited by D@ActiveTuning; 05-31-2005 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Alex91Z

Dave's car is definitely very quick and i was surprised at how quickly his car got out of the hole. I was running about 15psi and forgot to toggle to my 18psi setting when doing the highway runs. No doubt with some more fine tuning, his car should be able to beat mine with ease. I still have some stuff in storage for him though.

Last edited by Alex91Z; 06-01-2005 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:45 PM
JisNis

So Dave, on a scale of 1-10 how hard was it to install?
Old 06-01-2005, 03:19 PM
D@ActiveTuning

Honestly, it's a 10 lol. There is some pretty hard stuff, and it is very time consuming. If you are not mechanically inclined, I would not even try to tackle it on your own.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:07 AM
zman2

Originally Posted by D@ActiveTuning
Honestly, it's a 10 lol. There is some pretty hard stuff, and it is very time consuming. If you are not mechanically inclined, I would not even try to tackle it on your own.

Great install write up!

What was your total install time?

Quick Reply: APS Twin Turbo Install Begins!