Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Add another one to the list...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 02:12 PM
johanna1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me that alot of people that do it themselves are blowing motors when they are done putting it on. Could there be something they aren't doing right? I think the motor can handle a good about of power with the right supplys. Just hope the people installing the kits themselves know what they are doing.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:13 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding the Greddy kit, it far from perfect out of the box. But in my opinion, its a better setup for really high boost applications. The APS turbos, with their current wastegate can only boost to 12psi. This has been confirmed by several members I have spoken with. Now, the wategate can be upgraded, but apparently, Garrett and APS are very unresponsive at helping these customers out. Several calls to Garrett and they unreturned.

Hopefully, people will be able to find parts, maybe from HKS, that will work with the turbos included in the APS kit.

The Greddy system with optional return fuel system, Walbro 255, and shielded CAS, and a REALLY good tune....are a strong setup.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:33 PM
failsafe306

Uh-oh, I smell another debate coming!
Old 05-17-2005, 02:59 PM
JimRHIT

Originally Posted by ccartwright
Uh-oh, I smell another debate coming!
there isn't much to debate on that issue.

Greddy is capable of putting out more power with the stock turbos. APS cannot, and so far, is not showing any signs of being able to do so.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:03 PM
Z33Concept

Turbos And Stock Internals Dont Mix.....
Old 05-17-2005, 08:29 PM
bacalhau16

but did u figure out what u did wrong yet so u dont do it again?
Old 05-17-2005, 08:56 PM
Dirty Dave

Originally Posted by bacalhau16
but did u figure out what u did wrong yet so u dont do it again?
I still havent figured out what went wrong, but like someone mentioned earlier in this thread, it happened while i was letting off the throttle just like what happened to a few other members on this board. When i take it in for the rebuild ill have the tech take a look at the old motor see if they can figure out what went wrong for future refrence for everyone else. Hey Shariff as soon as i figure out when im gonna take the car i will be calling you for lots of parts.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:58 PM
xxlbeerZ

If you're letting off the throttle is it possible the fuel cuts back but the throttle plate isn't shutting enough for some reason?
Old 05-17-2005, 09:21 PM
accordfreak

I don't think it's greddy's fault even though I hate greddy.

so you had no timing pulled? no tuning? no CAS wire replacement? no return line?

people who get on it after an install with a high compression motor with none of the above is just asking for a blown motor.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:55 PM
350G

It's tragic to say the least . . . I run a basic Greddy kit (stock maps, no ignition timing or fuel solution) and have yet to have any probs--knock on wood Something as simple as wiring up the boost controller incorrectly could lead to 9lbs + . With the stock maps being extremely rich and the boost really low (5.6lbs), I cannot fathom a blown engine.

Now if someone created their own tune and didn't address timing and / or fuel, it seems plausible.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:38 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gq_626
Regarding the Greddy kit, it far from perfect out of the box. But in my opinion, its a better setup for really high boost applications. The APS turbos, with their current wastegate can only boost to 12psi. This has been confirmed by several members I have spoken with. Now, the wategate can be upgraded, but apparently, Garrett and APS are very unresponsive at helping these customers out. Several calls to Garrett and they unreturned.

Hopefully, people will be able to find parts, maybe from HKS, that will work with the turbos included in the APS kit.

The Greddy system with optional return fuel system, Walbro 255, and shielded CAS, and a REALLY good tune....are a strong setup.
12?!? crap... well ive got one here that wont go past 9 - 9.5 and I was contacted last week by someone who cant get their APS kit over 10 psi... Whats the trick to get 12??!
Old 05-17-2005, 11:54 PM
fernandito7

So basically u guys finished the install and took it out for a spin and the engine blew? Did u have a boost gauge? Maybe u got a huge boost spike like another member here and blew it.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:57 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Any GReddy kit that has blown a motor was due to the owner's own fault for not doing research IMO. (assuming you didn't push the limits of the rods (which are around 450-500rwhp)
Old 05-19-2005, 05:31 AM
Dirty Dave

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
Any GReddy kit that has blown a motor was due to the owner's own fault for not doing research IMO. (assuming you didn't push the limits of the rods (which are around 450-500rwhp)
Yea Im not to sure it was my fault, i barely hit boost. All i was trying to do was drive the car home from my friends shop. I was not getting on it at all.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:11 AM
tonio

I may be beating a dead horse but if the pistons and rods aren't the issue then whats the point in forged internals? I know why but still, I find it hard to believe that in just a matter of driving home Dave's internals completely failed. He was barely hitting boost and the engine blows while there are other Greddy kits that ran perfectly fine for a good while not to mention the other kits that are running safely, I'm no expert but that doesn't scream bad internals to me.

I guess my question is does your friends shop have experience with installing Greddy kits on 350Z's? If the wrong issue is addressed then the same problem is liable to happen again, even with forged internals. (it just may take a little longer for it to happen) Were you hearing any noises before the failure? I'm not sure how easy it would be to hear pre-ignition or detonation though.

I know it has been brought up and debated but oil starvation is another possibility.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:42 AM
G3po

Originally Posted by gq_626

Just for clarification, on the APS kit it's "not the Wstegates themselves" that are limiting APS boost ~10psi. It is simply the actuator spring tension. I'll have mine adjusted to a "base" of 10-12 in a week or so . and will share that info. But it's not expected to be an expensive proposition. The WGs themselves should easily hold 20psi or more.

Last edited by G3po; 05-19-2005 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:47 AM
2003z

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
I disagree. There have been a number of these that have blown right out of the box. Unless Greddy specifically says it needs tuning, they have no business selling an unsafe product.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:50 AM
G3po

Originally Posted by phunk
12?!? crap... well ive got one here that wont go past 9 - 9.5 and I was contacted last week by someone who cant get their APS kit over 10 psi... Whats the trick to get 12??!
I've got my APS turbos on the bench this week and we are experimenting to get the base set to 10 and with controller up to 20. We will definately get this resolved prior to my install, since doing it on the car wouldl be next to impossible. Once we gotta handle , I'll share what we find, unless someone else gets the answer first.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:00 AM
barthelb
Master

G3po, cant wait to see how yours is gonna turn out. When are you coming down so we can meet up. I was there when you called yesterday, how funny hahahah.

I can't belive to this day Greddy sells these things...The turbos themselves might be great and all but the kit is not engineered in my opinion to be installed on these cars. SHould be called Greeedy because thats what it seems like they are.

And whats up with APS Not returning calls about boost levels. They need to man up! Lucky they have a good product.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Dirty Dave

Originally Posted by tonio
I may be beating a dead horse but if the pistons and rods aren't the issue then whats the point in forged internals? I know why but still, I find it hard to believe that in just a matter of driving home Dave's internals completely failed. He was barely hitting boost and the engine blows while there are other Greddy kits that ran perfectly fine for a good while not to mention the other kits that are running safely, I'm no expert but that doesn't scream bad internals to me.

I guess my question is does your friends shop have experience with installing Greddy kits on 350Z's? If the wrong issue is addressed then the same problem is liable to happen again, even with forged internals. (it just may take a little longer for it to happen) Were you hearing any noises before the failure? I'm not sure how easy it would be to hear pre-ignition or detonation though.

I know it has been brought up and debated but oil starvation is another possibility.
My friend that helped me install this is a very well experienced mechanic and knows what he is doing. As far as the electronic portion of the install i did all of that, I have been doing car electronics for about 7 years so I have quiet a grasp on that. Plus like I said between me and my friend all parts of the kit were checked and rechecked over at least 3 or 4 times to make sure everything was done right and nothing was forgotten. As far as the oil starvation my friend brought that up to me while we were talking about the whole thing. Seems a little odd that greddy tells you to fill motor to stock spec of oil doesnt it ? I mean don't the turbos hold a extra capacity at any given time while the motor is running ??? When i finished the kit i did put a little bit more oil that spec in, but maybe it wasnt enough. Hopefully i can get this motor broken down soon and let all you guys know what happened for future use.

Quick Reply: Add another one to the list...