Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Add another one to the list...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Dirty Dave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add another one to the list...

Yep, blew my motor last night with the greddy kit. Put two holes in the rear bottom of the block, this sucks. Well guess it looks like that motor build up is gonna come a lil bit faster than i thought. I live in buffalo ny, can anyone suggest some good tuners within 5 or 6 hours from here to take the car to to have a new motor built ?
Old 05-17-2005, 10:05 AM
SpeedDreamTuner

.....What was your boost a/f and timing at? Sorry to hear the bad news.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:20 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by Dirty Dave
Yep, blew my motor last night with the greddy kit. Put two holes in the rear bottom of the block, this sucks. Well guess it looks like that motor build up is gonna come a lil bit faster than i thought. I live in buffalo ny, can anyone suggest some good tuners within 5 or 6 hours from here to take the car to to have a new motor built ?
sorry to hear that man! i know what you are going through...
pm me your e-mail address, i'll send you some spreadsheets that will help you out- as far as what parts are needed for a rebuild

good luck,

TODD
Old 05-17-2005, 11:25 AM
cloudy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eeek greddys scare me!
Old 05-17-2005, 11:30 AM
xluv2eatx

man...good thing i ordered a turbonetics...any motors blown with a turbonetics? im getting a lil scared.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:31 AM
GZire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. Could you list what you've got on your car (i.e. basic GReddy kit.....other add-ons?)?
Old 05-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Dirty Dave

Yea ive got a greddy kit, jet hot coating, and a walbro fuel pump. The thing that really scares me is it happened on maybe half throttle at about 3000 rpm. Could this have been a cas wire issue? As far as boost level and a/f i have no idea i was simply driving it back from my friends where we finished the kit. I was gonna have it dynoed tomorrow. I didnt think it would pop on my way home under cautious driving conditions.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:08 PM
bhk1004

you mite wanna take it to MRC motorsports. Its in the middle of new jersey, but i believe they have done a few motor build ups on the APS system and seem to do great work.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Dirty Dave

Originally Posted by bhk1004
you mite wanna take it to MRC motorsports. Its in the middle of new jersey, but i believe they have done a few motor build ups on the APS system and seem to do great work.
Do you have a link to their site ?
Old 05-17-2005, 12:47 PM
JonathanG35

http://www.racemrc.com/home.html
Old 05-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Gman2004

Sorry for you misfortune. This happened to another member....took it out for a spin (he gunned it though) right after the install and blew the motor. For anyone else getting the greddy tt, I would not recommend you drive it without a CAS wire, timing harness, and MAP pressure sensor harness. Or you can just go with the technosquare reflash that will take care of timing and your a/f ratios.

You may want to look at SGP Racing. They have complete motor packages.

http://store.yahoo.com/sgpracing-store/sgpravqmo.html

I am currently getting mine rebuilt with them. If you don't know anything about cars and don't have any shops in your area, I would highly recommend them. This way you won't have to buy all the parts yourself and then find a shop to build the motor. SGP can do it all for a reasonable price. Also, I never heard anyone having problems with one of their motors.

Good Luck on your rebuild.

Last edited by Gman2004; 05-17-2005 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:06 PM
raptorbh12

man, thats what freaks me out about going turbo. I cant afford an engine build and the kit itself is a stretch. He probably had no clue what boost he was at and just blew the motor on his way home.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:18 PM
tonio

First, I'm very sorry to hear you blew your engine Dave, hopefully you'll have everything back up and running soon with even more power than you expected.

Second I'm noticing a good number of blown engines are occuring when coming off of the throttle, does this somehow help pinpoint exactly where the problem lies? I know the same thing happened to me but I was n/a with an oil consumption problem.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:23 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah I would NOT go FI unless you either build the bottom end up first or can afford to do it at a slightly later date - or have a 2nd car

the greddy is the kit this rings true with the most. I'm almost willing to bet the greddy kit has blown more stock engines on the Z than all other kits combined
Old 05-17-2005, 01:29 PM
mrrsx350z

I have one question, have anybody try to contact greddy to hear what they say why their kits is blowing up motor? I try doing a search but did find anything where people trying to contact the guy from greddy. Well anyway Dave sorry to hear that, stories like your make me not want to install my kit. It's been sitting in my room for over a month now. Scare to put it in. I'm going to hold off for a while untill someone find a solid answer why the motor are blowing up with the greddy install.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:39 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by sentry65
yeah I would NOT go FI unless you either build the bottom end up first or can afford to do it at a slightly later date - or have a 2nd car
I think this only holds true with the Greddy kit, and some of the old ATI prochargers. So far none of the other kits have seen any significant amount of blown motors while running stock boost.

the greddy is the kit this rings true with the most. I'm almost willing to bet the greddy kit has blown more stock engines on the Z than all other kits combined
No arguments there.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:46 PM
kjbalto

I'm sorry to hear this. With all the kits out there, why is everybody still going with the Greddy? For the price? I know a lot of people are happy with the Greddy, but there's a lot of stuff you have to do to make it run right and then the price adds up to the same or even more than if you bought another kit. Let's say APS for example. I for one am tired of hearing about how great APS is, but I have to say that I'm leaning toward their kit more and more. I'm confident that if I go with their kit that I won't have any problems. Paying a little more for peace at mind is definitely worth it. Again, I'm sorry this happened to to you and I don't wish these headaches on anyone. Good luck with your rebuild.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:51 PM
JimRHIT

Sory to hear about the problems.

CJ Motorsports aka Phunk (Charles) is not too far from you. When I lived in Buffalo (Kenmore) I used to do the drive all to often to Chicago. You could probably get the car shipped there for less than $300 or so I would guess. They, and 350Evo (S. Ohio) are the only ones in that area (other than out in NYC) that I would go to.

He is a very well known tuner here and can help you out beyond your wildest dreams ... just be prepared to spend some $$$$$ on this

Where are you in Buffalo?

Jim
Old 05-17-2005, 02:04 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a lot of people who jumped on FI a long time ago bought the greddy kit because it was the best turbo kit out there at the time and those people have invested a lot of money and time into their cars getting it to run right or better.

I think (might be wrong) the greddy's turbos are capable of more boost than other kits, but it still isn't a "complete" kit. You still have to upgrade a lot of things.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:10 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, really sorry to hear this. Call me and I can help you assemble a really nice motor. We also do motor work locally, if you plan on having your motor built outside of your home area.

Quick Reply: Add another one to the list...