Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Kinetix SSV IM "Dyno Numbers"

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 10:33 AM
Lorca@Z1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zach,

If your car was making around 240whp before the Vortech intall and 343 after at 6.1 psi, that is approximately 17 whp per PSI so it might be asking a bit much to get an additional 57whp from an additional 1.9 psi. I personally have not seen more than 390 from 8 psi on the Vortech.

Have the installer adjust the lock nut on the BOV to make sure it is not venting too early. Good luck!
Old 05-24-2005, 12:02 PM
chaparro78

I am getting 410RWHP with 9.2lbs of boost. John Isbell formerly from Grubbs Infiniti tuned my car. He did a real good job.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:56 PM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

Check the BOV. I did not install my vacuum line to the BOV and was getting the same boost as you. Try checking the vacuum line to the plenum.

Have you adjusted the BOV at all? I had mine adjusted to 6 visible threads. Vortech says leave the BOV stock out of the box however other people told me to change it.

Jeremy
Old 05-24-2005, 03:42 PM
SungNamZ

Originally Posted by Gman2004
I had the same question. I think he was running the vortech with the out of the box tune when he installed the IM. Seeing how the vortech runs really rich out of the box maybe the IM leaned it up so much that he got a better tune without tuning. I would have liked to see the difference between his vortech tuned with the V4 and then retuned for the IM. That would be a better comparison.
If you go back to one of my original threads when I was testing the "prototype" IM you will see some numbers. I had been running the V4 with Vortech SC for about 7+ months. It had been tuned. When we made the switch the car was on the dyno. Used same tuning as i had with the V4. It did lean out some on the upper end.

The numbers you see at the top of this thread are all with Vortech SC. I posted the V4, prototype and SSV on one chart. Based on earlier comments on V4 and prototype tuning, we re-tuned before we dynoed with SSV.

Without looking at previous thread/posts the V4 was in the mid 330's, prototype in the upper 380's and SSV 416 rwhp. I did go to PE 380 injectors with the SSV. I had the TS "limited flash" on all pulls.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:45 PM
SungNamZ

Originally Posted by cjb80
When is the release date on this intake manifold, is there any info available on the web?

Chris
Just got off the phone with Kinetix. They are hoping to post the SSV on their site later tonight or tomorrow. GB shipping/production is keeping them very busy.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:48 PM
zachcrosen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lorca@Z1
Zach,

If your car was making around 240whp before the Vortech intall and 343 after at 6.1 psi, that is approximately 17 whp per PSI so it might be asking a bit much to get an additional 57whp from an additional 1.9 psi. I personally have not seen more than 390 from 8 psi on the Vortech.

Have the installer adjust the lock nut on the BOV to make sure it is not venting too early. Good luck!
When I rev the car with it in park, as soon as I let off the gas there is the vent. The start of the pppssssshhhhhh sound not distinguishable from letting off the gas. It kinda sounds as if the venting sound is part of the rev. Am I making any sense here?
Old 05-24-2005, 04:51 PM
zachcrosen

Originally Posted by LeMans350z
Check the BOV. I did not install my vacuum line to the BOV and was getting the same boost as you. Try checking the vacuum line to the plenum.

Have you adjusted the BOV at all? I had mine adjusted to 6 visible threads. Vortech says leave the BOV stock out of the box however other people told me to change it.

Jeremy
I will check my vacuum line in a few minutes. About adjusting the BOV, will that require retuning? I am definitely a noob when it comes to this. I dont know if this matters at all but, they had to turn my BOV the opposite direction from what it is supposed to be because of my massive a$$ Hotchkis sway bars.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:41 AM
illZ

Any N/A numbers yet??
Old 05-30-2005, 10:48 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by illZ
Any N/A numbers yet??

where you been?

check their site or search
Old 05-30-2005, 12:09 PM
arizzee

Originally Posted by sentry65
where you been?

check their site or search
^^thanks for the help!

BTW - still no N/A numbers unless I've totally missed them somewhere.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:26 PM
mcduck

Zach, if you adjust the bypass valve, you shouldn't have to retune if your tuner set the cell values correctly. Basically, you will slightly change the RPMvsBoost level points. That is, where now you make 6.1lbs at 6000rpm, you may (because you adjust the bypass to hold boost longer) hit 6.1lbs at 5000rpm. As long as the R4 software has the correct setting for that value, you will not need to retune. Though, IMO, it will be safer if you do and, if they are reputable shop, they should cut you some slack if you bring it back to them.

SungNamZ... nice numbers btw. I presume you're running the regular 3.33" pulley on your Vortech? Also, you said you're running the PE 380 injectors... are you still setting fuel with the SS box & R4 software? I was thinking of putting Greddy 440s in my car, but do not want to have to switch electronics from the SS to Emanage.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:31 PM
mcduck

for those questioning some of the Vortech numbers posted, I think SungNamZ is at a higher altitude which will lower the overall value of the dynos. More important is to look at the gains he and Zach hit.

Zach's gain of 103rwhp over his non-Vortech numbers sounds right since he is not getting all of his boost (only 6.1lbs). Two more pounds would put him in the 130ish range for hp gains which should be dead on. Cannot say on SungnamZ's car since he did not post pre-Vortech numbers.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:52 PM
zachcrosen

Thanks Andy. My car is in the shop now getting new pads and front tires installed now. I will look into the bypass valve when I get it back later this week. I have also seen some dyno sheets finally on my car. The AFR looks screwed up. The shop did say that the car was seeing around high 11s to low 12s (12.2 ish) under WOT but the dyno sheets do not show this. They are showing a very erratic line for AFRs which range from 10s to mid 15s.
Attached Thumbnails Kinetix SSV IM "Dyno Numbers"-3-highest-dyno-runs.jpg  
Old 05-30-2005, 03:14 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

geez, it's right on their site

http://www.kinetixracing.com/index.a...ProdID=12&HS=1

click the picture and then go to the next graph
Old 05-30-2005, 04:20 PM
SungNamZ

Originally Posted by mcduck
Zach, if you adjust the bypass valve, you shouldn't have to retune if your tuner set the cell values correctly. Basically, you will slightly change the RPMvsBoost level points. That is, where now you make 6.1lbs at 6000rpm, you may (because you adjust the bypass to hold boost longer) hit 6.1lbs at 5000rpm. As long as the R4 software has the correct setting for that value, you will not need to retune. Though, IMO, it will be safer if you do and, if they are reputable shop, they should cut you some slack if you bring it back to them.

SungNamZ... nice numbers btw. I presume you're running the regular 3.33" pulley on your Vortech? Also, you said you're running the PE 380 injectors... are you still setting fuel with the SS box & R4 software? I was thinking of putting Greddy 440s in my car, but do not want to have to switch electronics from the SS to Emanage.
mcduck, if you go back and read all my posts you will see that there was almost a 5-6 period between me removing the prototype, returning it to Kinetix and then Robert sending me the SSV to test for a couple of days before going public. During that 5-6 weeks I swapped injectors for PE380s. Also had time to send the ECU to TS for them to program the ECU for 380s. Made working with the SS box a lot easier.

Zach, after working out the problems is showing some good numbers. With a good tuner, he should be able to smooth out the A/F. The SS box and the ECU is very tempermental.

I was shocked with 416 given the high 90 temp on that day, plus the altitude.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:25 PM
zachcrosen

Originally Posted by SungNamZ
Zach, after working out the problems is showing some good numbers. With a good tuner, he should be able to smooth out the A/F. The SS box and the ECU is very tempermental.

I was shocked with 416 given the high 90 temp on that day, plus the altitude.
I have thought about taking it to someone who has tuned a Vortech on a Z. I just dont have the cash right now to do so. Do you think anything looks dangerous (ready to blow up) the way it is?

I wonder what I would be puting down if I had the V4 instead of the manifold. I bet the numbers would be really low!
Old 05-30-2005, 04:30 PM
booger

Originally Posted by zachcrosen
I have thought about taking it to someone who has tuned a Vortech on a Z. I just dont have the cash right now to do so. Do you think anything looks dangerous (ready to blow up) the way it is?

I wonder what I would be puting down if I had the V4 instead of the manifold. I bet the numbers would be really low!
You A/F is getting above 12 to 1 after 6000rpm....thats getting dangerous
Old 05-30-2005, 04:39 PM
zachcrosen

I need to contact the shop that did the install and tune tomorrow and see if I can find out which dyno sheet is the one that is of the car in its current state. They told me a HP # but it is not in any of the dyno sheets I got from the dyno shop. This is the same with the AFRs.

Does anyone have a "dead spot" when they accelerate slowly around 2750 RPMs? When I am cruising at a steady speed and RPM and I slightly accelerate, I get a slight hesitation of about 1-2 seconds around 2750-3000 RPMs. At this time, my air/fuel gauge bottoms out lean over 17. Has anyone else experienced this and is it something I should worry about immediately? This does not occur under heavy acceleration.

Last edited by zachcrosen; 05-30-2005 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:02 PM
booger

That seems to be the hardest spot for me to tune also . Its when the BOV closes and you start to go into boost . Im working on it and I got it better .Sounds like you need to add fuel at 3000rpm . Also...it depends on where you start to tune it . at -1psi or 0psi . And how soon your BOV closes .

Last edited by booger; 05-30-2005 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:40 PM
zachcrosen

Originally Posted by booger
That seems to be the hardest spot for me to tune also . Its when the BOV closes and you start to go into boost . Im working on it and I got it better .Sounds like you need to add fuel at 3000rpm . Also...it depends on where you start to tune it . at -1psi or 0psi . And how soon your BOV closes .
Damn, too many variables in tuning!

Quick Reply: Kinetix SSV IM "Dyno Numbers"