Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS TT w/ smoke

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Zexy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
sounds like the aps kit finally has a flaw..from all of the posts i had been reading in the past about aps, it seemed that the kit was fabricated by sweet baby jesus and the angels carried the kit to earth!

soooooo annoying how there are so many posts about how great the aps kit and how bad the greddy kit is...finally, +1 point for the greddy kit

not trying to bash the aps kit, i too, think it is an awesome kit...but those ausies need to go back to the drawing board on this one.
Yeah, but Peter is yet to respond
Old 06-12-2005, 02:03 PM
RedLeader

I don't think Peter can respond on this site. He's been banned.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:03 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by xxlbeerZ
Really, I don't remember people complaining about this before, seems like it's just the recent installs done by non-dealers.

Smoke is better than 50 blown motors!

your missing my point here beer...

the APS kit was the savior to the fall of man....or was it???

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...it'll be a few years until anybody makes a kit that is flawless out of the box, this is a new platform to be experimenting with...
Old 06-12-2005, 02:48 PM
RedLeader

C'mon, nobody's perfect. If my smoke clears up in 500 miles or so, I'll be a happy camper. If not, I want somebodys' head on a pike!
Let's review a few things:
1)Which manufacturers' R&D revealed the need for a shielded CAS wire?
2)How many supply it with the kit?
3)Who included an upgraded fuel system, blow-off valve, and tuneable engine management system?
4)If you remove your front bumper support and a passenger is injured in a collision, can you say "contributory negligence"? Sure you can.

Just askin..........
Old 06-12-2005, 03:25 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by brucekgt
C'mon, nobody's perfect. If my smoke clears up in 500 miles or so, I'll be a happy camper. If not, I want somebodys' head on a pike!
Let's review a few things:
1)Which manufacturers' R&D revealed the need for a shielded CAS wire?
2)How many supply it with the kit?
3)Who included an upgraded fuel system, blow-off valve, and tuneable engine management system?
4)If you remove your front bumper support and a passenger is injured in a collision, can you say "contributory negligence"? Sure you can.

Just askin..........

ok, the horse was dead two months ago...i know all of the things aps sat back and figured out as they watched greddy (the first) to miss things and make mistakes....
very easy to be on your side of the arguement, that is the side that keeps coming up, over and over, and rightfully so...i was just making an observation of how NOW, the APS kit is finally having a few minor issues (to be expected with any kit on a motor this new)...just pointing out, it's not the saving grace everybody thinks it is

problems with aps:
smoking turbos
can't tune unichip unless dealer/tuner w/ protected software

(and yes, i know greddy tt have been blamed for many motors blowing up, so don't even say it)
Old 06-12-2005, 03:27 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by brucekgt
I don't think Peter can respond on this site. He's been banned.
he's biting his damn lip so hard its bleeding!

Peter, you don't need to comment, most of us already know what you would have said, as it doesn't change
Old 06-12-2005, 03:47 PM
RedLeader

Remember the Jonestown massacre? There are probably some owners that "drank the APS Kool-Aid". I hope everybody forms their opinions based on reality, not "blind brand loyalty" because they already bought a particular kit. They all seem to work and I hope that there are fixes for the problems that crop up. I know I'm having my share of problems with my install. Actuators, fan blade clearance, oil smoke, and tuning. But, I'm responsible, since I CHOSE to lower the CR and I knew I didn't have an APS dealer in the state when I bought it. I've been without a car for two months and counting.........
Old 06-12-2005, 06:55 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really don't know what to do about my smoking issue....I have the oil exactly at the "ADD" line, my oil return lines can't possibly allow anymore gravity flow, and I'm still smoking on rapid decel. Hopefully SGP can fix it next month when I go in for tuning. I'm def no expert, but I'm starting to think there are a bad batch of Garrett turbo seals...
Old 06-12-2005, 07:35 PM
xxlbeerZ

Originally Posted by ccartwright
I really don't know what to do about my smoking issue....I have the oil exactly at the "ADD" line, my oil return lines can't possibly allow anymore gravity flow, and I'm still smoking on rapid decel. Hopefully SGP can fix it next month when I go in for tuning. I'm def no expert, but I'm starting to think there are a bad batch of Garrett turbo seals...
There is something different, b/c only the newest installs are complaining about this. The only difference I've noted so far is that most if not all the smoking cars are self installations.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:39 PM
narkotic

Mine was done by an authorized APS TT dealer/installer. They noted that the past 4 installs have not had this issue.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:44 PM
failsafe306

Like I said maybe it is the turbos themselves. There's no way this problem JUST surfaced after what, 6-8 months of this kit being on the market? I'm sure there were a few non-APS dealers installing these in the past with no problem. If it's just the most recent installs, doesn't that point to it being possibly a bad batch? Not trying to stir up anything here, just speculating.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:54 PM
zman1910

Like I said maybe it is the turbos themselves. There's no way this problem JUST surfaced after what, 6-8 months of this kit being on the market? I'm sure there were a few non-APS dealers installing these in the past with no problem. If it's just the most recent installs, doesn't that point to it being possibly a bad batch? Not trying to stir up anything here, just speculating.
definitely a possibility...
Old 06-12-2005, 08:15 PM
failsafe306

Gee, it's too bad APS isn't a member anymore to help us out here....
Old 06-12-2005, 09:48 PM
xxlbeerZ

I wonder if ZZtop's smokes? He got his pretty recently.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:59 PM
davewo

Default APS answer to smoke

I just got my installed 4 days ago and it doesn't smoke. Here's the link to the APS answer to the smoke during deceleration:

http://www.*************/350z/oil_dr...ain_notice.htm
hmm...the link gets blocked - just go to the APS site and then type in the rest of the address above.

Now if someone could tell me why my cabin smells like gas after the install, I would really appreciate it. Its irritating as hell. Could it be because my car is running too rich?

Last edited by davewo; 06-12-2005 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:00 PM
narkotic

Agreed.. the board ****'s gave em' the boot. For business reasons, it makes sense.. But for the true original meaning of this site (enthusiast) it sucks. He still posts regularly on the 'other' site.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:08 AM
Madelinot

Originally Posted by narkotic
Agreed.. the board ****'s gave em' the boot. For business reasons, it makes sense.. But for the true original meaning of this site (enthusiast) it sucks. He still posts regularly on the 'other' site.
I'll be installing mine in about two weeks once I get the G35 supplementary kit. I beleive my kit was in the same batch as the recent smoking ones. I'll see... Please post if you find out more..

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2005, 05:24 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by davewo

Now if someone could tell me why my cabin smells like gas after the install, I would really appreciate it. Its irritating as hell. Could it be because my car is running too rich?
The fuel vapor in the cabin is likely coming from the hole drilled into the stock fuel pump assembly, for the return fitting, located behind the passenger seat inspection panel. The housing is plastic, and if you dont get a tight and smooth seal, you will get vapors in the cabin.

Have you installer double check that area, and maybe use some fuel proof sealant to keep the vapors out.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:30 AM
g356gear

Originally Posted by davewo
I just got my installed 4 days ago and it doesn't smoke. Here's the link to the APS answer to the smoke during deceleration:

http://www.*************/350z/oil_dr...ain_notice.htm
hmm...the link gets blocked - just go to the APS site and then type in the rest of the address above.

The o-ring for the fuel assembly could be pinched as well. If it gets any fuel on it when the assembly is being removed it actually swells and will not seat properly. If you wipe it off after pulling the assembly it will not swell and it can be re-used. If it does swell just leave it out to dry for a couple of days and it returns to its shape.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:26 AM
socalsean

Bad turbo seals are a possibility, but I would think that if the seals were bad then you'd be getting the smoke cloud most of the time and not just on decel/stopped at idle situations.

Just for the sake of testing....has anyone with this kit done this yet:

-Run the car with the oil level BELOW the fill line? This would not be wise to do if you were to go bang on your car at high rpms....but it would answer the question of whether or not the oil level has something to do with the oil smoking issue. Maybe run the car for a few miles with half the amount of oil. It "shouldn't" harm the engine as long as the oil pressure is within spec and you drive it like nice and easy, mimicking the style and routine of driving that produces the smoke cloud.

I feel sorry for your rear bumpers!

sean

Last edited by socalsean; 06-13-2005 at 08:28 AM.

Quick Reply: APS TT w/ smoke