Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Kinetix SSV Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 05:40 PM
captj3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe the 7200 rev limt on the original car has somthing to do with it.Lorca still has stock rev limt.
Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Can someone refresh my memory on Kinetix's power claims with this plenum on an F/I car. I recall is was nearly a 75whp increase...but I think there was tuning and other things involved.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:46 PM
SpeedDreamTuner

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Further proof the number was in the tuning..
No tuning was done, however, we increase the RPM's after every run, which is what lead to the gain.

Last edited by SpeedDreamTuner; 06-16-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:49 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeremy posted on Frenzy that he actually GAINED boost with his. I think he said he was running his Vortech at 8 psi and got up to 10.5 with the Kinetix.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:56 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just by the design of the IM . It looks like it will flow better than the stock or a Crawford or APS . SungNamZ's dyno shows it when it leaned out . And after the retune ,he made very good gains . If he had tuned it before the IM mod the gains wouldnt have been as good...BUT..still very good gains . I believe SungNam was running the stock Vortech tune when He put on the IM
Old 06-16-2005, 06:17 PM
2003z

Originally Posted by Dr Bonz
Jeremy posted on Frenzy that he actually GAINED boost with his. I think he said he was running his Vortech at 8 psi and got up to 10.5 with the Kinetix.
Just a thought here, I really have no clue.

(assumption) At a certain rpm, the blower will put out so much air, regardless of where that air goes.

(assumption) If that air has little restriction in the plenum and goes right into the engine, the air pressure sensed in the plenum (boost), will be lower than if the plenum is very restrictive.

Could this plenum be more restrictive if more boost is sensed? Could the higher boost reading be due to the different flow characteristics and different location for boost pickup from the stock manifold?

Just questions that crossed my mind, I am in no means an expert and don't want to start a war, just healthy discussion. I just bolt the parts on, how they work is someone else's job.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:30 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

10.6to 11.3 probably resulted in much of this power gain.

For a true comparison, I would like to see someone have a properly tuned F/I setup with stock plenum. Then install the Kenetics and duplicate that tune...ie...tune it to the same A/F ratio, and same timing. Only then can you get an accurate comparison of which plenum is making more power.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:42 PM
booger

For a true comparison, I would like to see someone have a properly tuned F/I setup with stock plenum. Then install the Kenetics and duplicate that tune...ie...tune it to the same A/F ratio, and same timing. Only then can you get an accurate comparison of which plenum is making more power.
That would be the best way and I plan on adding it in the future .
Old 06-16-2005, 06:59 PM
Lorca@Z1

When swapping plenums, richness usually is a sign of decreased air volume, increased turbulence, or decreased velocity. Typically, we like to see leanness, which is a good sign that the plenum is flowing more higher velocity air...then we can richen it up via the tune. This is what happened when I went from stock to Crawford.

I'd like to see more testing on these plenums. It looks like a very interesting design. It's interesting that your plenum richened up the mixture, but you still gained about 10whp at the peak. Maybe your setup likes a slightly richer mix for more power. Typically, peak power is acheived at between 11.7 and 12.5:1, as a general rule.

Lorca, did you have boost issues between these two runs? Or was your boost issue consistent between the various dyno runs.
Boost was consistant per Defi recordings, .65 bar falling off to .57 or so.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:02 PM
Lorca@Z1

Originally Posted by booger
If he lost boost . You would think that , that alone would make the A/F richen up quite a bit .And it stll made the same or a little more hp . To me it looks real promissing with his normal boost range and a retune
No boost was lost between the before and after runs, the boost falling off was cosistant both before and after.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:53 PM
G352NV

When I first added mine my A/F went from 10.3 at wot to 9.6 at wot. I posted these results when I first got the IM and I was one of the first. No one really replied. I have a tune on the 20th at Z Car garage. Ill post my #'s tuesday the 21st.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:30 PM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

That would be me. My car is tuned currently with stock. I will be dynoing and tuning on Monday with Kinetics SSV.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:08 PM
AmyCroft

Default How has the Engine Sound changed with K-IM

A side bar question:

How has the Engine sound changed...
Old School question.

Stock Plenum sound vs. Kenetix SSV

Do you hear more valve noise?

Any Exotic sound under throttle.

Typically the Early Plastic Plenums had a "hollow" sound to them and you
could hear the Valve train operating.

Your impressions?

Cheers Amy -
Old 06-16-2005, 10:20 PM
Phatmitzu

Interesting. Subscribing.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:44 PM
AmyCroft

Default Hey Mark - PHO #1 ?

Hi Mark...

Your project seems to be coming together well.

Are you Hungry for some Pho Tai Chin? We try to make it out there ( Next 99 market ) about once a week. Even though I live near "Little Siagon" Ha !

I'll PM you with the Office Number and Cell Phone..

I got to get some new photo's of the car...

Cheers Amy -
Old 06-16-2005, 10:49 PM
Speed Dreams

I agree, I have pushed this effort with Robert for some time now. We tested the prototype and the final product with great gains on a vehicle that was rich. I don't believe anyone should expect gains we experienced, maybe 5% gains.

When KR sends me a SSV I will test under the same conditions same tune...What more can I say.

Tripp
Old 06-17-2005, 03:07 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

I don't believe Lorca's 350Z is tuned. I'm 90% sure he was using out-of-the-box tune from APS for 93 octane. So, anyone with an APS TT using stock maps will gain similar power. 10rwhp is sad for $800, you could have made 30-40rwhp for the same money with a few other products (upper plenum and test pipes come to mind). It's a pretty manifold, doesn't seem like much more than that. I hope you will see 20rwhp after a tune though, still not worth it (IMO), but not too bad for an intake manifold IMO.

Glad to see some real results on this I.M. that weren't skewed or anything though, thanks!
Old 06-17-2005, 06:43 AM
Phatmitzu

Originally Posted by AmyCroft
Hi Mark...

Your project seems to be coming together well.

Are you Hungry for some Pho Tai Chin? We try to make it out there ( Next 99 market ) about once a week. Even though I live near "Little Siagon" Ha !

I'll PM you with the Office Number and Cell Phone..

I got to get some new photo's of the car...

Cheers Amy -
Haha...got it!

Old 06-17-2005, 07:19 AM
Gman2004

subscribing.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:22 AM
acg

Even after the tune, if they do not pick up more than 20hp then $800+ is not really worth the money except for looks.
I may as well keep my 9lb pulley and gain 9hp for $70.

Still subscribing in the hopes for better results.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:30 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Many people will purchase this plenum, primarily for the cosmetic factor. It really is a beautiful piece. I agree the price is a bit high, but for some modest gains up top, and major bling factor, there will be plenty of people that will spring for it.

Guys, the Nissan manifold, and the Crawford and APS higher volume plenums, are very well engineered. Nissan spends countless R&D hours developing their plenum. The middle plenum plate is a engineering marvel. It maximizes velocity and distribution between cylinders, and in large part, contributes to the crisp throttle response we see on the VQ. You will recall that the 2005 Track Edition made some changes to the middle plate, which was primarily done to improve top end power, while the mid range and trq peak diminished. Yes, other changes were made to that motor to improve top end, but each element layers on the other...and the end result is more top-end, less mid range. Many people have tried to improve on it, and were unsuccessful.

Quick Reply: Kinetix SSV Dyno Results