Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Kinetix SSV Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 04:58 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003z
make sure its in a new thread, Jeremy

why another thread?
Old 06-20-2005, 05:57 PM
2003z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sentry65
why another thread?
because it made him run un-tunable rich and added no power. https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/128560-kinetix-ssv-dyno-results-vortech.html
Old 06-20-2005, 06:01 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seen it . Sure looks like it doesnt flow more air as more results come in . I was hopen for the same looking dyno that SungNam had .
Old 06-21-2005, 04:31 AM
SungNamZ

"booger", my tuner spent a considerable amount of time, not to mention frustration, then patience and pulls before he was able to get the A/F adjusted and get to 416 rwhp.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:37 AM
booger

Originally Posted by SungNamZ
"booger", my tuner spent a considerable amount of time, not to mention frustration, then patience and pulls before he was able to get the A/F adjusted and get to 416 rwhp.
Didnt the first dyno you had , show that the A/F leaned out ? That is what I was getting at
Old 06-21-2005, 05:14 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

McDuck brought his Vortech 350Z into CP Racing for tuning yesterday. He walked in with 340whp, and left with 421whp. He is running the SSV Kenetics plenum, headers, cams, full exhuast.

It wouldnt be fair to say that the plenum gave him an 80whp gain....we also upgraded his pulley so he made about 2psi more boost. But my point is that the stock tune was really bad, so the majority of the gain came from a proper retuning. When I saw the Kenetixs add in Sport Z Mag, I just felt it was a little bit unfair for them to post before and after gains of 55whp, when the original tune was terrible.

The only way to judge these plenums is to get to the SAME level of tune before and after. For instance, you need to tune the stock plenum to 11.5:1 and then tune the Kenetixs to the same 11.5:1 tune. Only then can you get a closer assessment of how the plenum is performing.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:32 AM
SungNamZ

Totally agree! It is all in the tuning. How many people out there are running FI thinking that the tune they have is the best or the most that can be achieved. Your recent trip to Albuquerque, working with Todd and Brodie is an example.

I had a poor tune with the V4 and Vortech SC. That initially carried over to SSV IM until a tuner was willing to correct the errors and devote the time necessary to get it right. There was a lot of learning during the process.

I just know that when I did my first dyno back in early 2003 after installing Borla exhaust and CAI I dynoed around 230 rwhp. With addition of Vortech SC, SSV IM, R/T Cats, 380 Injectors and most importantly, proper tuning, I am now at 416 rwhp.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:36 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

I had a poor tune with the V4 and Vortech SC. That initially carried over to SSV IM until a tuner was willing to correct the errors and devote the time necessary to get it right. There was a lot of learning during the process.

Precisely. When McDuck came in...he only had 340whp with the plenum. If we judged the plenum based on those results, it would clearly be unfair as well. But 421 is very healthy for his setup, including the plenum. I think he had a big smile on his face when he left.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:40 AM
acg

I have seen people who make 380rwhp with just the vortech installed so I am not sure why McDuck only had 340rwhp.
The car also had headers on cams so how much can really be put down to the addition of the SSV?
Old 06-21-2005, 08:15 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by acg
I have seen people who make 380rwhp with just the vortech installed so I am not sure why McDuck only had 340rwhp.
The car also had headers on cams so how much can really be put down to the addition of the SSV?
With low 10's on the AF ratio, and only 10 degrees of total advance in the motor, its easy to explain why he was only making 340whp.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:27 AM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

Originally Posted by 2003z
because it made him run un-tunable rich and added no power. https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128560
Sharif can you review this thread? See link...
Old 06-21-2005, 08:41 AM
RedLeader

Disclaimer: I have nothing personal against Kinetix Racing and don't own any of their products.(I understand the many people that have called with plastic plenum and high-flow cat problems have had great things to say about their customer service)

That sure is a pretty intake manifold. I guess looks are all that counts. Who cares if it doesn't make horsepower? I can always set my boost at 2psi and report massive gains after I install the new manifold and turn up the wick! There's a rumor circulating that the Champ Car Series & Nascar are going to switch to Stainless Steel for intake material.(Okay, I started the rumor)

Seriously, what kind of R&D went into this? (I don't mean the how do we make it fit on the motor and still get it to run type) Why are we accepting the lack of a legitimate before and after comparison, when this should have been flow-tested? Are we men or are we lemmings? (Sure, there are a few forum members that bear a striking resemblance to a lemming, but I digress) When the Group Buy was posted, you would have thought this new un-tried manifold was the Horsepower Holy Grail (Can I say Holy Grail without offending the non-Christians in the group?) I guess I just did, twice. I'm thinking about building some bolt-on ram-air hood scoops to take advantage of the well-known "Bernoulli Effect". They "ought to be" good for a 50 HP gain. Who's up for a Group Buy? Oh, I'll need you to send me money up front to reserve your place in line. I'll build them as fast as I can....... $1,200 sound about right? Well, after some thought, I guess we can reduce the GB price to $1,179.00
Old 06-21-2005, 08:41 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by LeMans350z
Sharif can you review this thread? See link...
done!
Old 06-21-2005, 10:08 AM
lsdunique

If I am not mistaken, the first dyno numbers posted by sungnamZ were "untuned" before and after numbers. Please chime in SungnamZ but unless I am wrong, zero tuning was done between pulls. I dont even think the car came off the dyno.

His later "tuned" numbers were not used in our advertising, not in the magazine, nor are they on our website.

Also, our N/A numbers were untuned.

All cars are different, some people will be able to bolt on with no tuning, others may need tuning, and some people will run into problems tuning.

Is this so out of the normal when modifying FI Z's? Has any FI kit or modification to FI kits been across the board a bolt on and leave it item?

I definately do not want to mislead anyone, but we posted the numbers that the dyno gave back to us, nothing more, and nothing less.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:28 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is a stretched version of the original graph so we can better see what's going on.
Attached Thumbnails Kinetix SSV Dyno Results-stretchedgraph.jpg  
Old 06-21-2005, 10:29 AM
captj3

A ccording to the original dyno most of the power was from 6600-7100 rpm's.Maybe I'm reading them wrong,but thats were all the hp is gained.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:37 AM
NismoGCoupe

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
McDuck brought his Vortech 350Z into CP Racing for tuning yesterday. He walked in with 340whp, and left with 421whp. He is running the SSV Kenetics plenum, headers, cams, full exhuast.

It wouldnt be fair to say that the plenum gave him an 80whp gain....we also upgraded his pulley so he made about 2psi more boost. But my point is that the stock tune was really bad, so the majority of the gain came from a proper retuning. When I saw the Kenetixs add in Sport Z Mag, I just felt it was a little bit unfair for them to post before and after gains of 55whp, when the original tune was terrible.

The only way to judge these plenums is to get to the SAME level of tune before and after. For instance, you need to tune the stock plenum to 11.5:1 and then tune the Kenetixs to the same 11.5:1 tune. Only then can you get a closer assessment of how the plenum is performing.
I though mcduck had 425whp on the 10 or 11lb pulley a few months ago how was he at 340whp?
Old 06-21-2005, 10:38 AM
Gman2004

This is misleading.

If you go back to one of my original threads when I was testing the "prototype" IM you will see some numbers. I had been running the V4 with Vortech SC for about 7+ months. It had been tuned. When we made the switch the car was on the dyno. Used same tuning as i had with the V4. It did lean out some on the upper end.

The numbers you see at the top of this thread are all with Vortech SC. I posted the V4, prototype and SSV on one chart. Based on earlier comments on V4 and prototype tuning, we re-tuned before we dynoed with SSV.

Without looking at previous thread/posts the V4 was in the mid 330's, prototype in the upper 380's and SSV 416 rwhp. I did go to PE 380 injectors with the SSV. I had the TS "limited flash" on all pulls.
SungNam's Z Vortech was not tuned out of the box before installing the SSV. He dynoed 338whp were most vortech that get tuned put down anywhere from 380whp-415whp on stock pullies.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by NismoGCoupe
I though mcduck had 425whp on the 10 or 11lb pulley a few months ago how was he at 340whp?
+1....I was thinking the same thing to myself.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:50 AM
damen

Originally Posted by Gman2004
+1....I was thinking the same thing to myself.
me also. i thought i remember him saying he was making 400+hp months ago. how would it have gotten lower since then?

Quick Reply: Kinetix SSV Dyno Results