Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Greddy Catch Can Install-*PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 08:50 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was wondering about venting to atmosphere also. I saw a picture of an RX-7 that just had a simple breather filter on one side of the catch can intead of being hooked up to a vacuum source.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:26 AM
jpc350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gringott
Just wondering - does anyone who has the ARC one know what hoses are connected to it? Both sides or just one, and does it reconnect to the intake? Anyone know of a problem if I just use a breather catch can and vent to atmosphere on both the passenger and driver side? Other than oil odor? After all, I don't drive a hybrid!
Mine is breathing to atmosphere.. No problem if you don't mind the slight smell of oil vapors mostly at idle.. When moving no problem..I have both the PCV and Air breather hooked into it.. The (NEW) hose off the PCV has the Air breather teed into it and the NEW hose is fed into the ARC...Works fine..
Old 03-30-2006, 10:17 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Jegs sells a Jaz 1 pint teardrop shaped container with a breather filter on top, two connectors and a drain at the bottom for <$50. I think I will go with that for two reasons: cheap and small (no room in engine bay).
Old 03-30-2006, 10:18 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jpc350z
Mine is breathing to atmosphere.. No problem if you don't mind the slight smell of oil vapors mostly at idle.. When moving no problem..I have both the PCV and Air breather hooked into it.. The (NEW) hose off the PCV has the Air breather teed into it and the NEW hose is fed into the ARC...Works fine..
Thanks for the info. I would go with the ARC if I didn't have the intercooler pipe there.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How much oil usually accumlates in this catch can. Over the course of a 3000 mile interval? 1/4 qt? I have no idea how much it would be-sorry for the dumb Q's this is something I know nothing about....
Old 03-30-2006, 11:35 AM
jpc350z

Originally Posted by Alberto
How much oil usually accumlates in this catch can. Over the course of a 3000 mile interval? 1/4 qt? I have no idea how much it would be-sorry for the dumb Q's this is something I know nothing about....
Can't see any in the sight gauge after 3k miles ..See some vapors in the hose but no liquid evidence yet! Other than keeping vapors out of the intake not sure it is a critically necessary...Looks pretty..
Old 04-15-2006, 05:48 AM
punish_her

In some of the equipment I work with, we have dual stage oil seperators. Its a tighter packed fine material with a semi-tight coarser material on the top.

The theory is the vapors collects on the coarse material, drips down and soaks into the fine material where it saturates there. The coarser material helps keep the finer material compressed and out of the system.

I still would want an inline filter just in case. This dual system is used on an oil return system that is under a high and low pulsation of 210 - 45 psi. It collects oil vapor from a compressor outlet and returns it back to the oil side of the system.

I'm not to sure how it will work under vacuum but it works great under pressure. I have an HKS Catch can that I'm installing when I get home and I'll this out and tell how it works out.

EDIT: I was just thinking, has any one added the catch can to the vacuum assit mod for idle stabilization. If so how do you have it routed. I'm needing to do the stabilization mod.

Last edited by punish_her; 04-15-2006 at 05:53 AM.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:10 PM
STRETCH

Default Arc

I have an ARC catch tank on an NA engine and after 2 track events at high RPM, I filled the tank! I routed the 2 breather holes that vent to the atmosphere into the right front wheel well so I don't have any oil smell, but it dumps oil on my right front wheel well. Some people say this is normal. I think thats BS. Its been 2 years since Ive had to empty it and now 2 times?? Do you think theres anything wrong with my engine?
Old 11-27-2006, 04:17 AM
jpc350z

Originally Posted by STRETCH
I have an ARC catch tank on an NA engine and after 2 track events at high RPM, I filled the tank! I routed the 2 breather holes that vent to the atmosphere into the right front wheel well so I don't have any oil smell, but it dumps oil on my right front wheel well. Some people say this is normal. I think thats BS. Its been 2 years since Ive had to empty it and now 2 times?? Do you think theres anything wrong with my engine?
WOW.I have not tracked the car but filling the can seems very un-ordinary...If you look at the AAM mod for this can , they weld the top hat vents closed and install a "bung" type fitting in the side ...The bung should have a vac line installed ( pulling oil vapors into it) which eliminates oil smell or oil dumps...You may want to check the pcv vent. The other hose is the air breather which shouldn't have much in the way of oil vapors coming out of it..
Old 01-10-2007, 01:37 PM
mario23

So what hose are you guys buying?
The one that came with mine is collapsing under vacuum.