Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Motor Blew on Turbonetics ST kit in 24HRS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 11:57 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah he did say he smoked an STI: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....15#post1408215
Old 07-05-2005, 12:01 PM
MIAPLAYA

Yeah on 4/27 in the AM Evolution posts the car is done. That night he says he smoked a 12 sec STI then the next night all is still well and he posts that he had is wastegate modified....then nothing.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:15 PM
LaidbackRacr

I have been following this post and I have a question for all you FI guys. Why is no one installing knock lights? It seems that a nice knock light could prevent much of these problems. (Not a fan of J & S Safeguard)

Any input would be great.

Thanks,
Old 07-05-2005, 12:22 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bascelik
So, Sharif, you may be friends with Jeff, and Jeff may be a good mechanic and auto enthusiast, but that means nothing, still could've botched-up.
I dont disagree with your point. But I have respect for everyone on this board, and I wont engage in the he-said-she-said. If Sherv and Jeff want to hash it out, that is their choice, and theirs alone.

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 07-05-2005 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:25 PM
asugradinwa

Yeah and what about the other post of hoping to run 500-600 whp he posted? Did he leave the turbo at the 8-8.5 PSI out of the box? I'd bet my Z that there is a LOT more to the story than we are hearing right now. I'm guessing the modified wastegate didn't help either.

Kind of reminds me of the little kid waiting for the toy. All pissed that the toy gets delayed and then he doesn't even respect it and goes out and races an STI without a dyno to make sure the car is running properly? And now you say the car wasn't running right from the start? WHY WOULD YOU RACE YOUR BUDDIES CAR?!?!

Hopefully we can all learn from this- Don't go pull a Paul Walker and blow your engine just to impress your buddies until your sure it is running properly.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:31 PM
frostyrock7c

Sharif, I think that I am not alone when I say that I trust you more then anyone else when it comes to FI on a VQ, having said that, what would you recommend for those of us that want this Turbonetics kit(standard boost 8-8.5) on a stock engine? We should all know that there is no guarantee on any of this, all we can do is be as cautious as possible and not cut corners. But I consider you an expert, if it were your daily-driven car, what would you do?
Old 07-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frostyrock7c
Sharif, I think that I am not alone when I say that I trust you more then anyone else when it comes to FI on a VQ, having said that, what would you recommend for those of us that want this Turbonetics kit(standard boost 8-8.5) on a stock engine? We should all know that there is no guarantee on any of this, all we can do is be as cautious as possible and not cut corners. But I consider you an expert, if it were your daily-driven car, what would you do?
Thanks for the kinds words. I feel very strongly that the APS kits, and the Turbonetics kits are the safest "out of the box". With both kits, nothing more is really need in terms of engine components, to have a safe experience. The Greddy kit can be easily modified to be just as safe.

That said, the first thing...and I mean the VERY FIRST thing you do after an F/I install is head straight to your dyno tuner. Each ECU is slightly different, in terms of its current state of long term fuel trend, so you will find that each car will respond a little bit differently to F/I. Even though 90% of the time, the tune will be safe out of the box, you really have to double check this, before beating on the car. You will also want to map boost pressure across the RPM range, to ensure you wastegates are functioning properly, and determine if you have any vaccum or boost leaks. Even though the Turbonetics kit uses a reflash, you can also run it on the dyno, and send your ECU and dyno charts back to Turbonetics for some more fine tuning, if you see a problem.

If you have CEL's or anything unusual after the install, just take it easy. Don't boost until all the issues are resolved, and you are satisfied that everything was installed correctly.

Also, another good precaution is to heat wrap all of your vaccum lines. I have found that engine bay temps can hover around 200F, which is enough to turn rubber vaccum lines into hard brittle. If a vaccum line breaks, and you are boosting, you will likely damage your motor, and "wonder" what happened if you didnt catch the boost spike on your gauge.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:06 PM
frostyrock7c

It does, thank you for all the info!!!
Old 07-05-2005, 02:50 PM
projectsherv

I do not know about any other sides to this story. The part that gets me is that I spent over 7k(kit+labor+gauges) and after this happened all I heard was "it was most likely the reflash not our fault", and I never heard a "can we offer to help?" Everyone had turned their backs on me and left me with my $40k car with 6k miles on it that doesnt even run. I dont like bad mouthing anybody and I loved Evolution but they just got scared when my car blew up and didnt even offer any support. what would you guys have done in my situation? also I wanted to add that I do not want to ruin anybodys reputation but I am simply informing the simple truth of my experience.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:59 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by projectsherv
I do not know about any other sides to this story. The part that gets me is that I spent over 7k(kit+labor+gauges) and after this happened all I heard was "it was most likely the reflash not our fault", and I never heard a "can we offer to help?" Everyone had turned their backs on me and left me with my $40k car with 6k miles on it that doesnt even run. I dont like bad mouthing anybody and I loved Evolution but they just got scared when my car blew up and didnt even offer any support. what would you guys have done in my situation? also I wanted to add that I do not want to ruin anybodys reputation but I am simply informing the simple truth of my experience.
I would have done my best to find out what really caused the motor failure. I can tell you this much if the flash was the issue you would have known the first time you boosted. I mean the second you get above 4 PSI if the flash was at fault the motor would have gone then. From the posts in your other threads it looks like you had raced at least one person and went almost 48 hours before the motor gave way. Also it looks like the wastegate was not modified until 4/28 the second day you had the kit. Is this true? If so it may very well have been that that caused the motor failure. IMHO whoever modified the wastegate is to blame. The kit was desgined to run a certain way. Whoever modified may have been the one who messed up..
Old 07-05-2005, 03:14 PM
projectsherv

Recently spoke to evolution and Steve was very helpful. I shared some information about what was going on and he gave me some feedback of what he thought. I still feel screwed due to the fact this has cost me more money then I had ever anticipated and a lot of frustration and a very hard time with the rest of my life as well but all I can do it suck it up from here on in. any advice PM me please.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:25 PM
projectsherv

Originally Posted by asugradinwa
Yeah and what about the other post of hoping to run 500-600 whp he posted? Did he leave the turbo at the 8-8.5 PSI out of the box? I'd bet my Z that there is a LOT more to the story than we are hearing right now. I'm guessing the modified wastegate didn't help either.

Kind of reminds me of the little kid waiting for the toy. All pissed that the toy gets delayed and then he doesn't even respect it and goes out and races an STI without a dyno to make sure the car is running properly? And now you say the car wasn't running right from the start? WHY WOULD YOU RACE YOUR BUDDIES CAR?!?!

Hopefully we can all learn from this- Don't go pull a Paul Walker and blow your engine just to impress your buddies until your sure it is running properly.
LOL, you dont even know half of the story. I was never told that my car needed to be dynoed. I was advised my car was ready to be taken out and have fun, if my technician would have advised me to baby my car till it was dynoed I wold have. I asked about the dyno and I was told that the reflash was perfectly tuned and I should have no problems.

PS: Dont run your mouth when you have no idea what is going on.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:38 PM
dynamic6er

FWIW Jeff is no longer at Evolution.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:46 PM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Apexi350z
I think nothing is guaranteed reliable. But the best record so far is the APS kit. If I would've get a turbo kit, that would be the one.

Thanks for the info!

Actually......we have not had anyone blow up thier motors with our SFR twin-turbo kit on it.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:52 PM
projectsherv

Just spoke to the shop who disassembled my motor. He says the rod snapped.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:53 PM
frostyrock7c

Does anyone know if there are any permanent modifications required for the Turbonetics install, like the hole required in the block for the Vortech???
Old 07-05-2005, 04:06 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by frostyrock7c
Does anyone know if there are any permanent modifications required for the Turbonetics install, like the hole required in the block for the Vortech???
Technically yes you would need to tap a hole in the block for the oil return line. However another member here BPL bought the JWT pan spacer and tapped that for his return. Its $95 shipped from most vendors...
Old 07-05-2005, 04:07 PM
MIAPLAYA

Just spoke to the shop who disassembled my motor. He says the rod snapped.
On the new motor? I was under the impression that they had determined the rod had snapped a while ago...however they did not know yet what the cause of the rod failure was yet.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:14 PM
projectsherv

No the old one, I was still confused about what had happened but now I am 100% sure of the rod snapping. We still have yet to get my car running. ETA 1 week.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:16 PM
MIAPLAYA

No the old one, I was still confused about what had happened but now I am 100% sure of the rod snapping. We still have yet to get my car running. ETA 1 week.
Did they say if there were any signs of detonation?

Quick Reply: Motor Blew on Turbonetics ST kit in 24HRS!