Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Motor Blew on Turbonetics ST kit in 24HRS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 04:19 PM
asugradinwa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by projectsherv
LOL, you dont even know half of the story. I was never told that my car needed to be dynoed. I was advised my car was ready to be taken out and have fun, if my technician would have advised me to baby my car till it was dynoed I wold have. I asked about the dyno and I was told that the reflash was perfectly tuned and I should have no problems.

PS: Dont run your mouth when you have no idea what is going on.

No idea what was going on? At least I have enough sense not to push an engine to the limit the first day I get it back from the shop. I just find it odd how you were saying this thing was so kick *** at first but then when your motor blew you change the story to say it wasn't running right.

A technician shouldn't have to advice you to baby your car, it is paert of common sense. You give the thing at least 500 miles then go back and check all the hoses and make sure everything seems to be in order before you push the limit.

I'll be the first to admit I've screwed up on cars. I blew 2 engines in my first camero before I learned my lesson but what I found out was it was MY FAULT for ignoring the warning signs.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:44 PM
projectsherv

Well the motor is gone now, long live the new motor! Btw, what is the best engine management besides HKS available?
Old 07-05-2005, 05:50 PM
MIAPLAYA

Cost wise the HKS is the best standalone. Other standalone would be the Motec system which costs ridiculous amounts of money.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:05 PM
PumpedVA

love my HKS fcon v but thats another thread, I just want to say why does everybody flame and point fingers when there motors blow? I mean everybody knows these motors are not ready for all this boost plus anytime you start this FI game you need to know and be ready to keep dumping $$ . I have less than 3k on my SC and been planing and saving for months for built a built motor so what I am saying is you play you pay. plan in advance and pay less
Old 07-05-2005, 06:05 PM
PumpedVA

love my HKS fcon v but thats another thread, I just want to say why does everybody flame and point fingers when there motors blow? I mean everybody knows these motors are not ready for all this boost plus anytime you start this FI game you need to know and be ready to keep dumping $$ . I have less than 3k on my SC and been planing and saving for months for built a built motor so what I am saying is you play you pay. plan in advance and pay less

I dumped a tranny , SC and just about everything on my car has been replaced but the motor that is why I am building now before that happens to
Old 07-06-2005, 07:32 PM
taurran

LOL, you dont even know half of the story. I was never told that my car needed to be dynoed. I was advised my car was ready to be taken out and have fun, if my technician would have advised me to baby my car till it was dynoed I wold have. I asked about the dyno and I was told that the reflash was perfectly tuned and I should have no problems.

PS: Dont run your mouth when you have no idea what is going on.
Who told you this? With ANY FI application on ANY car, regardless of what kind of engine management you are running, the first thing you should always do is hit the dyno. While the ECU reflash is a safe and reliable method for managing an unaltered FI setup, assuming the ECU reflash would be "perfect..." was your first mistake. Any FI tuner worth their salt would insist you get at least a single dyno run before you "have fun".

A proper tune is just like an equation. Changing your setup in any way is like adding a new variable that can easily throw the whole algorithm off. Altering the stock kit's setup by adding an external wastegate and not bothering to dyno the car is just BEGGING to have your engine blown... I'd be blaming your installer, rather than paying him more cash to build your motor. I really hope you go elsewhere for the build.

PS: Why don't you let everyone know the complete story when you come on the forum blaming your ignorance on Turbonetics?

Last edited by taurran; 07-06-2005 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:05 PM
xxlbeerZ

Originally Posted by taurran
Who told you this? With ANY FI application on ANY car, regardless of what kind of engine management you are running, the first thing you should always do is hit the dyno. While the ECU reflash is a safe and reliable method for managing an unaltered FI setup, assuming the ECU reflash would be "perfect..." was your first mistake. Any FI tuner worth their salt would insist you get at least a single dyno run before you "have fun".

A proper tune is just like an equation. Changing your setup in any way is like adding a new variable that can easily throw the whole algorithm off. Altering the stock kit's setup by adding an external wastegate and not bothering to dyno the car is just BEGGING to have your engine blown... I'd be blaming your installer, rather than paying him more cash to build your motor. I really hope you go elsewhere for the build.

PS: Why don't you let everyone know the complete story when you come on the forum blaming your ignorance on Turbonetics?
The person/company that told him to do this is a Turbonetics dealer aren't they? Most people doing mods don't sit around on forums reading all day, they just want their car to go faster so they select a speed shop they feel or heard is good, and listen to the advice of that particular installer.

IMO it's mostly the installers fault, but perhaps Turbonetics should be a bit more selective with their "authorized" dealers. As a dealer you pretty much represent the company, so I tend to blame both. Really, I don't see how you blame the customer in this case, unless he's just too proud to admit he did something to blow it up (i.e. missed a shift, played with the boost).
Old 07-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok sorry I have not been on I've been extremely hard at work trying to pay for this misfortne, and my keyboard is a bit messed p the key between y and i does not work. So it goes like this I picked p my car from Evoltion and within 5 mintes the car was acting p a bit. It was making this wierd hesitation feeling and they said to jst pick p some gas and I wold be fine. So i went and got som gas and my check engine light comes on. So i take it back and they tell me it will be jst fine and bring it back in 2 days and they said as soon as I have gas in my car I can drive it however I wold like to. I asked specifically abot a break in period on the engine and I was instrcted that there was NO BREAK IN PERIOD. I took my car home that night and barely drove it becase I figred I wold have all the time in the world to enjoy it. The next day I worked a 9-9 12 hr shift and after getting ot of work I want to do nothing bt enjoy my car. So take it ot and show off a bit here and there and I meet p with a few friends and took it ot on the highway. Now i took 3rd to abot 6k rpm and 4th to abot 5500 and so i pt it in 5th and the car jst blew p within 5 seconds. I do have a boost gage and I didnt hear the warning which was set at 9.5psi bt the fact that my wastegate was so lod I coldnt hear anything bt I did not see the warning light come on at all. That is the whole story.

PS: This keyboard is seriosly messed p so I apologize abot all the typo's.
i'm sorry, i missed the part about the wastegate install. was that done simultaneous with the turbo install or later? did the same company install both?
is the person who did your turbo install no longer with evo?
just trying to get the sequence of events straight.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Steve@Evolution

This is Steve from Evolution Autosports. I just saw this post now so I will have to chime in since speculators might think I am scared?
This Turbonetic Single turbo kit was one of the very first batch that was released. From looking at all the parts, nothing looked out of extradinary. However when the ECU was sent out to Turbonetics to get it flashed, I was informed by Turbonetics the Convertible Z ECU has a different program from 350Z couple. I don't know why but that is just what I was told, very strange.
The kit was fairly easy to install compared to what we have done in the past aka APS TT, Greddy TT, HKS supercharger, and even the Vortech supercharger. There wasn't much of a complaint except alot of hardware and V band clamps were missing which Turbonetics eventually took cared off. Because of the missing parts, the car was delayed for two weeks prior delivery time. Shervin was cool but the man was very impatient. I have talked to him numerous time the car was delayed and regardless, he kept on calling every day to see if we can muck up some parts to get his car out, of coarse I said no. After two weeks of waiting, the parts came and the car was done. The day the car was done, my tech took the car out for a quick drive just to make sure there wasn't any problems prior delivering. Everything seemed okay so the car got delivered. Remember no check light and no nothing, boosted fine but didn't hit it hard to test.
Shervin came back within an hour and said the check engine light came on and the car was hesititing while going up hill. My tech recheck the car again and couldn't find anything came loose or incorrect except the car had no gas. He couldn't verify and erase the code since my tech let somebody borrow his PGM tester so he told shervin the car is 'drivable' but be 'real easy' on the car if you are taking it home. 'come back tomorrow and I will have the PGM tester to see what was the light about'. ' Also get some gas immediately'. Shervin left never returned to get anything checked and a day or two later the motor blew. This pretty much sumed up the entire story on the other side.....
He asked me what I can do for him which honestly I can't do much. I told him to bring the car to Ultimate Performance who is a Turbonetic dealer so a 3rd party can verify what happened internally to the engine. Like I said, the install is pure butter and everything was already pretuned. I asked him what did his max boost read on his gauge, he told me there wasn't any boost spike. I ask him to let me know what Ultimate finds and then we will go from there. He never called me again until yesterday asking me what did I tell other people about his car.
I will have to admit I did suspect the motor might be mis shifted and over revved mechnically because he told me the block had holes. I also suspect the rods snapped since it was stock causing holes or it detonated some how from the pretune of the flash. I most likely wanted Ultimate to check our work to see if there was any faults but honestly, this kit was not even complicated and very straightfoward so I have full confidences nothing was wrong on our side.
I will not get into what Shervin did or raced dure the time after it was delivered and before it blew. The car shouldn't be raced since a check light was on.

Steve - Evolution

Last edited by Steve@Evolution; 07-06-2005 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:23 PM
Steve@Evolution

Originally Posted by protocav
no one will ever know if everything was installed correctly. your installer could have easily forgotten to hook up the wastegate vacuum line, and gotten a boost spike.
Been racing my race car for 4 years using external wastegate in different varieties of setup, I think my tech and I know how to install it correctly. The boost was checked up to hold properly prior delivering.

Steve - Evolution
Old 07-06-2005, 09:26 PM
Steve@Evolution

Originally Posted by slaponte
Do you feel there was a missleading in some way from the vendor? Did you tune to what they call safe and still blew it up?
There is nothing much to tune because it was a turbonetics flash done at the Turbonetic facility.

Steve - Evolution
Old 07-06-2005, 09:29 PM
Steve@Evolution

Originally Posted by tig488
I told you about this 35ounces.

Isnt there something about a CEL? or is that standard with the TN kit?
The CEL can be anything since this turbonetic kit had no Cats. I don't know for sure if that would trigger the light. Never got the car back to check the CEL.
Honestly, I could easily detained the car but most customers are so impatient.

Steve - Evolution
Old 07-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Z BOY

Originally Posted by Steve@Evolution
This is Steve from Evolution Autosports. I just saw this post now so I will have to chime in since speculators might think I am scared?
This Turbonetic Single turbo kit was one of the very first batch that was released. From looking at all the parts, nothing looked out of extradinary. However when the ECU was sent out to Turbonetics to get it flashed, I was informed by Turbonetics the Convertible Z ECU has a different program from 350Z couple. I don't know why but that is just what I was told, very strange.
The kit was fairly easy to install compared to what we have done in the past aka APS TT, Greddy TT, HKS supercharger, and even the Vortech supercharger. There wasn't much of a complaint except alot of hardware and V band clamps were missing which Turbonetics eventually took cared off. Because of the missing parts, the car was delayed for two weeks prior delivery time. Shervin was cool but the man was very impatient. I have talked to him numerous time the car was delayed and regardless, he kept on calling every day to see if we can muck up some parts to get his car out, of coarse I said no. After two weeks of waiting, the parts came and the car was done. The day the car was done, my tech took the car out for a quick drive just to make sure there wasn't any problems prior delivering. Everything seemed okay so the car got delivered. Remember no check light and no nothing, boosted fine but didn't hit it hard to test.
Shervin came back within an hour and said the check engine light came on and the car was hesititing while going up hill. My tech recheck the car again and couldn't find anything came loose or incorrect except the car had no gas. He couldn't verify and erase the code since my tech let somebody borrow his PGM tester so he told shervin the car is 'drivable' but be 'real easy' on the car if you are taking it home. 'come back tomorrow and I will have the PGM tester to see what was the light about'. ' Also get some gas immediately'. Shervin left never returned to get anything checked and a day or two later the motor blew. This pretty much sumed up the entire story on the other side.....
He asked me what I can do for him which honestly I can't do much. I told him to bring the car to Ultimate Performance who is a Turbonetic dealer so a 3rd party can verify what happened internally to the engine. Like I said, the install is pure butter and everything was already pretuned. I asked him what did his max boost read on his gauge, he told me there wasn't any boost spike. I ask him to let me know what Ultimate finds and then we will go from there. He never called me again until yesterday asking me what did I tell other people about his car.
I will have to admit I did suspect the motor might be mis shifted and over revved mechnically because he told me the block had holes. I also suspect the rods snapped since it was stock causing holes or it detonated some how from the pretune of the flash. I most likely wanted Ultimate to check our work to see if there was any faults but honestly, this kit was not even complicated and very straightfoward so I have full confidences nothing was wrong on our side.
I will not get into what Shervin did or raced dure the time after it was delivered and before it blew. The car shouldn't be raced since a check light was on.

Steve - Evolution
and now you know...the rrrest of the story. Good day!?
Old 07-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Steve@Evolution

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
I know you had it dumping to atmosphere (the wastegate). This was tested before at Turbonetics recently and they saw no performance gain but rather more potential that the line might somehow find its way in front of the dump and melt. (We are talking 1000+ degrees F at the exit).
The dumping to the atmosphere on the W/G was agreed with permission from Shervin since he wanted the car to sound meaner.

Why Turbonetic told me the Convertible Z ecu flash program was different from the regular Z?

Remember, this is a mail in flash. Every car reacts differently to a flash. Gas are different, temp are different, atmosphere are different. Alot of variables were not tuned for the individual's need. You can't argue on this one.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:48 PM
Steve@Evolution

So i went and got som gas and my check engine light comes on..
I think it was the other way around. You never got gas until you left the second time that day. You wanted to get gas at woodbridge 15 miles later instead of the one down the street from us. ' My tech told you to get gas immediatly'.

So i take it back and they tell me it will be jst fine and bring it back in 2 days and they said as soon as I have gas in my car I can drive it however I wold like to.
Why would anyone with common sense working on cars everyday to tell you to drive the car what ever way you like when you have a check light?

I asked specifically abot a break in period on the engine and I was instrcted that there was NO BREAK IN PERIOD.
There isn't any break in period. What has this to do with your motor being blown? The turbo was prelubed by cranking over the motor with out it been started to have oil passes through first.

I took my car home that night and barely drove it becase I figred I wold have all the time in the world to enjoy it. The next day I worked a 9-9 12 hr shift and after getting ot of work I want to do nothing bt enjoy my car. So take it ot and show off a bit here and there and I meet p with a few friends and took it ot on the highway. Now i took 3rd to abot 6k rpm and 4th to abot 5500 and so i pt it in 5th and the car jst blew p within 5 seconds. I do have a boost gage and I didnt hear the warning which was set at 9.5psi bt the fact that my wastegate was so lod I coldnt hear anything bt I did not see the warning light come on at all. That is the whole story.
I have nothing to say what you did or didn't do. I did however saved a copy of a post containing you beat a 12 sec STI before it blew with a check engine light on.

Steve - Evolution
Old 07-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Z BOY

Originally Posted by Steve@Evolution
The dumping to the atmosphere on the W/G was agreed with permission from Shervin since he wanted the car to sound meaner.
but what quality installer, knowing that positioning the wastegate like that would cause problems, would install it like that?

Last edited by Z BOY; 07-06-2005 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Steve@Evolution

Guys, I wanted no beef with anyone or fighting on internet so for the longest time, I didn't post or said anything much about Shervin's situation.
I been waiting for his reponse from the 3rd party for more than 2 month now and it's been so long his new motor is already done.
I would of continued to shut up but since this was brought out of the bag and looks like I had to defend myself from any misleading speculations and dishonest stories that would damage Evolution Autosports' reputation.
This is the first time I have ever encounter a blown motor with five years in business and which really I say it was bad luck mixed with misuse of the car.

Steve - Evolution
Old 07-06-2005, 10:00 PM
Steve@Evolution

Originally Posted by Z BOY
but what quality installer, knowing that positioning the wastegate like that would cause problems, would install it like that?
There wasn't any problem letting out to atmosphere that is why we agreed to do it. No lines were burned or anything. I agree there wasn't anything to gain from doing so but that's not the point.
Shervin even posted there wasn't any boost spike after the incident. That was the first question I asked him when the first time he called me. NO BOOST SPIKE SHOWING ON THE PEAK HOLD OF THE BOOST GAUGE!!!!

Steve - Evolution

Last edited by Steve@Evolution; 07-06-2005 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:11 PM
xxlbeerZ

Sounds like we'll never know what actually happened.

In this case, could be anything, driver, shop, kit itself. I don't think this should really influence anyone's buying choice on turbo kit or opinion of Evolution.

So far I still consider this kit and APS the safest out of the box. The SFR/SSR may be safe, but how many have been installed? I've seen like two or three...
Old 07-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Steve@Evolution

Originally Posted by Z BOY
i'm sorry, i missed the part about the wastegate install. was that done simultaneous with the turbo install or later? did the same company install both?
is the person who did your turbo install no longer with evo?
just trying to get the sequence of events straight.
Jeff who was my partner at the time left the company end of May for his own personal reason. Besides the point, he has nothing to do the install anyway. Many local Z's know who my tech is because he does amazing work and I'm sure people can vouch for that.

Steve - Evolution

Quick Reply: Motor Blew on Turbonetics ST kit in 24HRS!