Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

eManage Ultimate--Crank Signal OK'ed and Installation Pointers

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Badmonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevlo911
The EU uses the crank to read RPMS? Does it actually advance the crank signal or does it advance the timing as it drives the coils?
I think it only adjusts the timing to the coils. That is where the wires are intercepted and manipulated. The crank signal is only tapped into.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:52 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Badmonkey_1
I think it only adjusts the timing to the coils. That is where the wires are intercepted and manipulated. The crank signal is only tapped into.

That is correct. It doesnt alter the crank signal. Rather, it uses it to establish real-time timing, and then advance or retard from there. It's an amazing technological feat: The ability to advance something that hasnt even happened yet. I can explain how it works if anyone wants to know.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:55 AM
kevlo911

SO now you can set any revlimit?
Old 08-07-2005, 10:22 AM
DandyMax

It sounds like it will work Kev as our limit is fuel cut based but I don't think it's been confirmed yet on either a VQ35 or 30
Old 08-07-2005, 10:40 AM
G35sDriver

Grrr you guys are soooo lucky. I wish I hadn't bought the Emanage *normal*.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:51 AM
DandyMax

You could always upgrade...
Old 08-07-2005, 10:58 AM
DandyMax

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
That is correct. It doesnt alter the crank signal. Rather, it uses it to establish real-time timing, and then advance or retard from there. It's an amazing technological feat: The ability to advance something that hasnt even happened yet. I can explain how it works if anyone wants to know.

I'd be interested in hearing about it Sharif..

You know, I'm wondering.... if they'd intercepted the cam and crank signals instead of just tapping them, then couldn't they ensure the rev limit would work even on ignition cut cars not just fuel cut? The trick would be to make it accurately emulate the many types of cam/crank signals to keep the ECU happily fooled.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Badmonkey

I have been researching the vehicle speed circuits for our car. This is what I have come up with, so far. Remember this is all my interpretations and not fact!

It seems the vehicle speed is sensed from the 2 rear wheel sensors, then sent to the VDC control unit. The speed signal is then computed based on the data of the 2 sensors, then sent, via the CAN system, to the unified meter and A/C amp. This signal is then interpreted or modified by the unified meter and A/C amp and sent to the unified meter control unit in the gauge cluster, where it is sent to the speedometer. I cannot find anywhere that this signal goes to the ECM, it may just go through the CAN system to it. The signal from the unified meter and A/C amp to the gauge cluster is in pulses, called 8 pulse in the manual. I am unsure what type of signal the EU looks for. The signal will be intercepted by the EU then interpreted and then sent back out. I am thinking the signal from either the wheel sensor itself, or the signal from the unified meter to the gauge cluster is where we need to intercept it. I am just not sure which, however, I am leaning toward the 8 pulse signal to the gauges. This signal would be from a white wire, pin 26, harness M49 on the unified meter and A/C amp, which is located behind the A/C controls. It ends up at pin 20, harness M19, which is on the back of the gauge cluster.

I am going to eventually hook it up to this point and see if it works. I probably will not get to it in the coming days, however. If anybody else knows something different, please chime in. I am learning as I go, so I may be way off base.

As far as funtionality of really needing the speed input, I think that the benifits are the removal of the speed limiter, speed data logging, and maybe a speed based mapping feature. I already have the speed limiter removed through my ECU flash, so the only benefit that I would see with my car is the data logging.

Does anyone know of other benefits/features that the vehicle speed signal has through the EU?
Old 08-07-2005, 07:12 PM
Badmonkey

Well the wiring is done. I did find that in the parameter settings there is a box for vehicle speed pulse. I am assuming this would be 8 if the wire from above is used.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Badmonkey

SO now you can set any revlimit?
The EU has provisions to to cut fuel AND ignition separately at a user defined RPM.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:03 PM
overZealous1

i thought the Z used the rev cut via timing and the eu said it could not control it if that was the case. only fuel cut vehicles. correct me if i'm wrong i am going from memory here. i skipped hooking up the feature as i came to the conclusion it would not work.
anyways, i got it all installed and have been setting all the parameters, and reading the operational manual back and forth multiple times. can't wait to start playing with the system as it seems to have a ton more features than the old blue e. unfortunately i had to take off out of town right when i finished and have yet to get the car running. so back at it tomorrow after work!!
yes i also chased the speed cut controls and it runs through alot of channels to come up with the info it needs to make the speed cut. there must be just one wire somewhere that can manipulate the signal, but someone just needs to find it. then drive REALLY fast to make sure it worked!!! lol.
also curious as to the tps connector wire. i had the old e blue hooked up to pin #50 but noticed in the eu install they are calling for #106. i switched it to #106 and did a data log to make sure i had everything hooked up and signals running through it and came up with correct figures in both the data log and the throttle setting parameter areas when pressing the throttle down. potato or patato? lol.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:59 PM
Badmonkey

I am going to do a continuity check of the wire to the gauges for speed to the ecu pins and see if I can get lucky.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:10 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Badmonkey_1
I am going to do a continuity check of the wire to the gauges for speed to the ecu pins and see if I can get lucky.
You will be a hero in my book if you figure it out. Thats the great thing about the open-source style of the eManage platform. Unlike the UNICHIP or HKS which is locked down, the entire community can work together, and constantly fine new features and ideas with the eManage.

Keep it up!
Old 08-08-2005, 06:20 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by overZealous1
i also curious as to the tps connector wire. i had the old e blue hooked up to pin #50 but noticed in the eu install they are calling for #106. i switched it to #106 and did a data log to make sure i had everything hooked up and signals running through it and came up with correct figures in both the data log and the throttle setting parameter areas when pressing the throttle down. potato or patato? lol.
Use pin #50, as the different pin uses a different voltage scale.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Badmonkey

Sharif, I changed the settings like we discussed and all is well.

I have the EU completely wired in except for the vehicle speed. I am very impressed with the data logging capabilities. Being able to see real time data for timing, injector cycles, rpm, is very helpful. Next up is to get the air/fuel wired.

Sharif, can I just tap into my AEM wideband sensor? Which sensor option in the software would I use?
Old 08-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Badmonkey

One observation for those with the Autosport harness. Make sure that your wiring does not interfere with the connector locking mechanism. It has to open 90 degrees in order to connect. I had made my connections pretty high up on the harness and it makes it very difficult to open the connecter up all the way.

Last edited by Badmonkey_1; 08-08-2005 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:38 PM
kevlo911

I could of sworn we had fuel cut limiters? I remember a thread about it and people saying they would rather have a wasted spark rather than fuel.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:48 PM
Badmonkey

I could of sworn we had fuel cut limiters? I remember a thread about it and people saying they would rather have a wasted spark rather than fuel.
That is very possible. I was referring to the Emanage Ultimate, earlier, which has provisions for fuel cut and ignition rev limiting.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:27 PM
DandyMax

I believe you're right Kevlo, that was always my impression too...

...and looking at the service manuals for both the VQ30 and the VQ35, I only see a fuel cut mentioned.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

it advances the timing or retards it by driving the coils directly. It doesnt alter the crank signal.

Quick Reply: eManage Ultimate--Crank Signal OK'ed and Installation Pointers