Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

eManage Ultimate--Crank Signal OK'ed and Installation Pointers

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 11:31 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default eManage Ultimate--Crank Signal OK'ed and Installation Pointers

Hi everyone, the last of the eManage Ultimates ship today, and I wanted to thank everyone for another very successful GB. As we all begin playing with the EU, I think you will quickly find it to be the premier piggyback tuning device on the market currently for the 350Z.

I have some great news, in that the latest fireware was just emailed to me from Greddy, and we now have REAL TIME TIMING display/logging capability, and the ability to advance timing! The latest firware is version 1.06, and I will forward it to anyone that wants it. Just send me an email at sharif@forgedinternals.com

Becuase we now see the crank signal correctly, and can view actual ignition timing, you have a very precise level of control over ignition events, and can verify via datalogging, that your ACTUAL timing is mapping correctly. An upcoming firware release, will permit you to actually SET the timing in the tables, but that funtionality is not yet present in the current fireware. So you will still have to do the +/- thing.

The easier way to install the EU, is to first download the Greddy TT installation manual from Greddy's website. Part 3 pertains to the Blue Emanage instructions, and this will help you wire about 85% of the eManage Ultimate. Pay close attention to pin locations, as the colors are often wrong. As a general rule, ALWAYS wire up an ECU by pin location only. The color can be used to verifiy, but if there is ever a descrepancy between pin location and color, go with pin location.

Second important note: Do NOT connect the cam angle sensor input wire. It is not needed, and will cause interference with the crank angle sensor calculation. The EU now just needs the crank angle input only. The crank input allows the eManage to display RPM without the use of any adaptors, and again, allows for real-time ignition timing, and timing advance/retard capability.

Third important note: You must pay special attention to the channel sequence for the injectors and the coil wires. For instance, channel 1 injector on the eManage is Injector #1 on the ECU. Same applies to the coils. Many of you have the blue eManage, and a timing harnesses already hooked up. You will need to unwire that, and then rewire the harnesses in the correct channel sequence.

Fourth important note: The EU will auto configure for the VQ35 motor in the vehicle parameters section. Just select VQ35 from the drop-down list, and for the RPM signal drop-down...select "crank angle sensor".

That's about it for now. I am hoping that others can provide pointers, helpful hints, tricks, etc...as these installs begin.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-03-2005, 11:38 AM
lucidazn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for both FI and NA applications? Installation pointers that is...
Old 08-03-2005, 11:51 AM
slimer

sharif-I have a vq30de and was wondering what I should put in as my engine code?
Old 08-03-2005, 12:03 PM
IceY2K1Max

Use VQ35, but you could also use the Z32 setting.

EDIT
Actually, since you'll be using the Z32 MAF, you'll use the Z32 setting.

Originally Posted by slimer
sharif-I have a vq30de and was wondering what I should put in as my engine code?

Last edited by IceY2K1Max; 08-03-2005 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:04 PM
IceY2K1Max

Sharif,

Have you rewired to use the crank input instead of the tach and are currently running v1.06?
Old 08-03-2005, 12:06 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awesome news, any word on how soon we'll be able to SET the timing?
Old 08-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Go for both FI and NA applications? Installation pointers that is...
That is correct, the installation process will be identical regardless of NA or FI.

Sharif,

Have you rewired to use the crank input instead of the tach and are currently running v1.06?
Yes, I always had the crank wire connected, so all I did was disconnect the cam wire, and switch the parameters to "crank signal" for RPM pickup. That was it!

awesome news, any word on how soon we'll be able to SET the timing?
No firm ETA. But honestly, with the ability to view the actual net timing in real-time...you are pretty close to perfection in that area. I am guessing about 3-4 weeks for actually set timing.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Here are some factory ECU pin locations to help everyone out with their wiring:

12 Volt Poiwer: 109, 119
Ground: 1, 115, 116
MAF: 51
TPS: 50
Crank Position Sensor: 13
Injector #1; 23
Injector #2: 42
Injector #3 22
Injector #4: 41
Injector #5: 21
Injector #6: 40
Ignition #1: 62
Ignition #2: 81
Ignition #3: 61
Ignition #4: 80
Ignition #5: 60
Ignition #6: 79

As a side note, if you are not comfortably and experienced working on automotive wiring and ECU's, please have a professional do the install for you. I hope everyone has a positive experience with this. THANKS!!
Old 08-03-2005, 01:57 PM
fito

YOu Tha' MaN!
Old 08-03-2005, 02:24 PM
Badmonkey

I'll be hooking my EU up this weekend. I will keep everyone posted, if I run into any issues.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:25 PM
gatti-man

wow very intersting. Tuning for NA could mean the end of the turbo or nothing type mentality for the Z.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:16 PM
overZealous1

already geared up for install tomorrow night!!! hoping to cure my probs. thanks sharif for a great deal and info follow up!!!
Old 08-03-2005, 03:17 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we'll see

now that the ECU will basically be handcuffed to do what we want it to do with timing and fuel, I think there will be some nice small gains showing up. I wouldn't expect anything amazing though. There's guys out there with Motec systems that completely replace the stock ECU and even though they have a lot of NA power, they're still not competing with FI as far as power goes.

I'm hoping to gain about 5-10whp with a good tune and new fuel system. Anything more I think is stretching it. I have all the major NA mods on my car
Old 08-03-2005, 09:39 PM
2JZfan

this looks like a great beginning to a EU FAQ sticky!

How about a wire by wire connection punchlist and a summary of the jumpers and/or dipswitches that need to be changed from the out of the box setup?
Old 08-04-2005, 04:34 AM
cjb80

I had issues when I had my e-manage installed where under high load and low RPM it would misfire. Needless to say, this was extremely annoying on the highway, and I couldn't help but feel like I was hurting something (coil, or motor). Has anyone experienced any problems like this with the EU? Also, can this take a knock sensor input?

Thanks

Chris
Old 08-04-2005, 06:59 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by 2JZfan
this looks like a great beginning to a EU FAQ sticky!

How about a wire by wire connection punchlist and a summary of the jumpers and/or dipswitches that need to be changed from the out of the box setup?
I looked at another EU, and based on what's in the manual, the factory dip switch settings are all correct. Not sure why one of mine was wrong.

It's a good idea to open up the EU, and double check the dip switch settings, but I spoke to Greddy, and the factory presets are correct, as long as you hook up the injectors wires as add/subtract, which is what everyone plans on doing anyways.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:37 PM
krismax

Originally Posted by IceY2K1Max
Use VQ35, but you could also use the Z32 setting.

EDIT
Actually, since you'll be using the Z32 MAF, you'll use the Z32 setting.
Ice will this emanage work on my VQ 35 run by vq 30 ecu?

thanks
Old 08-04-2005, 03:32 PM
IceY2K1Max

Originally Posted by krismax
Ice will this emanage work on my VQ 35 run by vq 30 ecu?

thanks
The majority of it will work...however the timing advance and rev-limiter increase are still not 100% sure working.

Until somebody tries...who knows.

Last edited by IceY2K1Max; 08-04-2005 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:29 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Wow.... very very tempting... if you can set your own timing like that, who needs HKS? Let's just see how well it works in practice. But i think we have got a winner. If it still cannot scale injectors by a method other tha MAF scaling, the ideal would be to have a correct 16x16 injector table flashed in the stock ECU, and just mess with the rest inside EU. Can't wait...
Old 08-05-2005, 01:26 AM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Gurgen this is george with the white Z ( z pimpn ) I ordered one of these and it should be at tonys house by tommarow, we probally wont start doing the TT install for another week or two but your more than welcome to come check it out, that is as long as tony lets you come over!

Quick Reply: eManage Ultimate--Crank Signal OK'ed and Installation Pointers