Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

TurboXS Announces the Z UTEC Release

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 10:26 AM
2JZfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jermaine, thanks for following this thread and answering most of the questions. What are we looking at for a timeframe on having a released final version (i.e. open loop fueling and all the bells and whistles) of this product? I'm not asking for an exact date, but are we talking about a month, a year, etc?

thanks,
Jeff
Old 08-22-2005, 11:36 AM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by 2JZfan
Jermaine, thanks for following this thread and answering most of the questions. What are we looking at for a timeframe on having a released final version (i.e. open loop fueling and all the bells and whistles) of this product? I'm not asking for an exact date, but are we talking about a month, a year, etc?

thanks,
Jeff
I expect the 1st Production UTEC's to ship the 1st week of October.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Zexy

i'm jumping on this.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:42 AM
Beachpig

Default TurboXS

I had an '02 WRX that was set up with the TurboXS Stage4 which was their up-pipe, down pipe, full exhaust, larger intercooler, bigger turbo, bigger injectors, and the UTEC. That took it from mid 14's to mid 12's. I'm a novice and the UTEC was very easy to use. You can leave the datacord plug'd in and hook up a laptop anytime to it. The maps were very easy to download and when they make revisions to the UTEC, you can download them from their website. It was night and day after I got the UTEC tuned after the bigger turbo etc. Something that was also nice was you could run a map for race-gas and with the flip of a switch when you went to the track you could throw in a tank and go back to 93 when you were done. In the WRX the UTEC sat on top of the stock ECU and it was plug and play, and installed in minutes. On a N/A vehicle like the 350Z with little or no mods I'm not sure how much HP will be gained. It still comes down to tuning. The fit and finish of TXS products is very good. The exhaust system I had was excellent.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:51 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno though, if it only kicks in at WOT, I'm not so interested.

There's lots of time I drive not at WOT, but near WOT
Old 08-22-2005, 12:29 PM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by sentry65

The UTEC can be set to use several parameters to assign when it will take absolute control. TPS is only one variable, we also have a parameter called PSI minimum for mapping we typically set this value to zero psi. This will define what PSI the UTEC will take control as well. The Open Loop Fueling software will incorporate Injector Scaling which makes tuning larger injectors a breeze.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:25 PM
Landbarger

Will you be selling these through other vendors or will it be coming exclusively from www.turboxs.com ? Thanks, and way to go on a great-looking product.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:42 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Landbarger
Will you be selling these through other vendors or will it be coming exclusively from www.turboxs.com ? Thanks, and way to go on a great-looking product.
Not to put words into Jermaine's mouth, but they will likely be selling them direct, as well as through dealers. ForgedInternals.com will be a dealer.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:43 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sentry65

it does not only operate at WOT. The initial software is not referenced by their open loop fueling, meaning the UTEC takes over at a prescribed TPS value. TXS can comment on where this will be on the Z. Once the OLF tables are done (hopefully this will be on the first release or soon thereafter), you will also be able to dictate WHERE the UTEC takes over vs the stock ecu, and what your reference point for the takeover will be. At lower TPS points it is a blend of the factory ecu and the UTEC, and at higher TPS thresholds, it is all UTEC. The OLF side, once you get a hang of it on your particular car, is very very very easy to use.

The injector scaling feature also works very well - it is basically like na offset function that allows you to quickly rescale an entire UTEC map to accomodate larger injectors.

As for GUI, it's been done many many times by endusers familiar with creating such a function, and I bet some users here will make their own. I am with Jermaine on this one. If GUI were introduced, it would add a whole new level of unnecessary complexity and cost to the item. My own take (been doing standalones for almost 10 years now) is that GUI's are great when 2 people are in the car... and all but useless when you are self tuning. The datalogging function of the UTEC is a great aspect of it. And if you add TXS's Tuners, you can also log wideband 02 as well

Looking forward to trying one out on my own car

adam

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 08-27-2005 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:02 PM
BlackTuner

Look at that we have even made Adam from Z1 come out of retirement to help the cause.

The UTEC will have a proverbial two modes; N/a and FI. In N/a form the TPS threshold works flawlessly. I have been driving my like this for weeks now and honestly our first release of the WRX UTEC worked in similar fashion to what I am running now and it is a dream. The car is so consistent right now. The next development is that the UTEC will take over at a programmable boost pressure threshold. I'd probably recommend that it take over at 1 psi or so. The Z factory ecu does not have the ability to compensate for positive manifold pressure as well as a factory forced induction vehicle so this is how we are going to accomplish our goal.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:04 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

- call my cell when you get a chance....wanted to go over something with you
Old 08-30-2005, 09:07 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance

Looking forward to trying one out on my own car
I don't get it, you have an HKS V-con Pro and you're wanting to ditch that for the UTEC?
Old 08-30-2005, 09:16 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

yes this way I can tune it myself
Old 08-30-2005, 09:46 AM
seanlaw

wow you guys are close to me....subscribing...
Old 08-30-2005, 10:58 AM
nissansource

Very Very nice... glad to hear TurboXS has came to the Nissan Side... so this does not affect any of the CANn bus interfacing with the rest of the cars componants? can we control automatic cars with this unit not that I have but it would be good to know..
Old 08-30-2005, 10:59 AM
nissansource

Btw put me on the list to buy I want this sucker asap
Old 08-30-2005, 09:08 PM
mchapman

So VTC will be able to be controlled at some point.

Do you have tuners in Australia who can tune this system?
Old 08-31-2005, 06:35 AM
theking

Anyone that has hyperterminal(which is on windows pc's) and tuning knowledge can tune with this system. It is so simple that it's "seems" easier to deal with than most systems. Find a good tuner with a load based dyno and within 2-5 hours it should be well tuned. It is very simple to use!
Originally Posted by mchapman

Old 08-31-2005, 03:02 PM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by mchapman

Actually our manufacturing headquarters is located in Hornsby. Our co-worker by the name of Wayne typically does the tuning of TurboXS products in Australia. When the units are available he should be able to take care all of your TXS needs.

Yes, we will be able to control VTC at some point.

Thanks,

Jermaine~
Old 08-31-2005, 03:23 PM
mchapman

Originally Posted by BlackTuner
Actually our manufacturing headquarters is located in Hornsby. Our co-worker by the name of Wayne typically does the tuning of TurboXS products in Australia. When the units are available he should be able to take care all of your TXS needs.

Yes, we will be able to control VTC at some point.

Thanks,

Jermaine~
Cool, I had heard something about you being in Australia and im only 15mins from Hornsby. If you can control VTC then you can save some people from having to use Motec ie AU$10K parts and tuning, so this is big news.

Thanks

Quick Reply: TurboXS Announces the Z UTEC Release