Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Slicks and stock axles...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005 | 08:23 AM
mazx6

Default Slicks and stock axles...

who is using slicks on stock axle that is at or above 400RWHP? I'm going to the track on Friday and i think i found some slicks to use. I would just hate to be stuck an hour away from home with a broken axle. I mean I under stand that anything can happen, i just wonder the chances. I made 407rwhp.
Old 09-28-2005 | 08:37 AM
dirtroad

that's the limit for stock axles on slicks: 400rwhp. Above that you're risking snappage.
Old 09-28-2005 | 08:41 AM
mazx6

Originally Posted by dirtroad
that's the limit for stock axles on slicks: 400rwhp. Above that you're risking snappage.
So i guess i'm going to be pretty close....
Old 09-28-2005 | 08:47 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

I know BriGuyMax has 430rwhp on DR's no issues, yet NA he accidently side stepped the clutch and snap. Nobody can say yeah 400/500rwhp + will break it. It depends on how you launch. As long as you pre-load yoru clutch a little bit, and do a quick slip instead of side stepping the clutch you will be fine. I forget the guys SN but a guy in New Jersey also has 400+ rwhp on stock axles and he pulls 1.7 60ft's launching easy, why abuse the drivetrain let the clutch take the punishment and then power your way out of the hole. You will be fine.....
Old 09-28-2005 | 08:54 AM
mazx6

Originally Posted by Alberto
I know BriGuyMax has 430rwhp on DR's no issues, yet NA he accidently side stepped the clutch and snap. Nobody can say yeah 400/500rwhp + will break it. It depends on how you launch. As long as you pre-load yoru clutch a little bit, and do a quick slip instead of side stepping the clutch you will be fine. I forget the guys SN but a guy in New Jersey also has 400+ rwhp on stock axles and he pulls 1.7 60ft's launching easy, why abuse the drivetrain let the clutch take the punishment and then power your way out of the hole. You will be fine.....

hey thanks man, Yea i'm used to slipping clutchs.. i had a 99' 3000GT VR4 (man do those things break) before my Z. I' guess i'll use the same method. Thanks man, that makes me feel better!
Old 09-28-2005 | 11:13 AM
mjedens

Default Slicks!!

Alberto gave you some good info. I would also not lower the tire pressure past 14 !!
Old 09-28-2005 | 11:29 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Originally Posted by mazx6
hey thanks man, Yea i'm used to slipping clutchs.. i had a 99' 3000GT VR4 (man do those things break) before my Z. I' guess i'll use the same method. Thanks man, that makes me feel better!
No problem, launching it like an AWD car should work well, I hate seeing these isiots in their EVO's just dropping the clutch near redline and boggin gbad out of the hole. Good luck @ the track, post some results when you get back. FWIW, my car is weak, only has 262 whp, but I have done a few very fast redline dump/slip with no issues. Usually I come out of the hole @ around 5500.
Old 09-28-2005 | 11:59 AM
dirtroad

besides, axles aren't too much to replace anyway. <$1k
what exact tire are we talking about?
Old 09-28-2005 | 12:06 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by dirtroad
besides, axles aren't too much to replace anyway. <$1k
what exact tire are we talking about?
The Stage II ones are around $799...

I think the problem here is not the price to replace the axles but not being able to get home because you have no more axles.

I personally did not risk this and bought the DriveShaft shop Stage II ones from Sharif
Old 09-28-2005 | 12:26 PM
mazx6

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
The Stage II ones are around $799...

I think the problem here is not the price to replace the axles but not being able to get home because you have no more axles.

I personally did not risk this and bought the DriveShaft shop Stage II ones from Sharif
You know that might be a good idea before i run, my buddy is trying to get to run but i'm not even tuned yet I would rather wait untill i had a good tune with a little bit more HP and boost. I also have a show on satuday that i've already paid for i would hate to mis it because i broke something
Old 09-28-2005 | 02:48 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

With slicks, 400whp is pushing it. If its was DR's I would say go for it, but even thats a bit risky. The Level 2 Drive Shaft shop axles we sell are $779 including shipping. Rated at 500whp, but can take much more. I am running 600whp+ at the track with DR's...no problems yet.

Here is the link: http://www.forgedinternals.com/store...cat=261&page=1
Old 09-28-2005 | 03:26 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
With slicks, 400whp is pushing it.
Oh man I hate to disagree with a Z guru, but I dont believe there have been enough breakages around 400rwhp for you or anybody to say 400rwhp is pushing it. Like I mentioned some have more power, and have no issues with axles, others with bolt-ons are snapping them. It all depends on how your launching imo, its unfair to say from the rather limited experience the Z community seems to have on slicks that 4XXwhp is the pushing/breakin point of the axles. IMO until we see 5 out of 10 guys on slicks with 400+rwhp breaking axles, then we just wont know, we can only assume. I cant even think of 10 guys on here who use slicks
Old 09-28-2005 | 03:36 PM
barthelb
Master
Premier Member

No problems so far, "knocks on wood" I even have a run on video in the drag section to prove it. I think the axles are like the engines. Some people say 400whp is too much, 17kmiles later at 440whp. You'll never know til it happens.

Originally Posted by Alberto
Oh man I hate to disagree with a Z guru, but I dont believe there have been enough breakages around 400rwhp for you or anybody to say 400rwhp is pushing it. Like I mentioned some have more power, and have no issues with axles, others with bolt-ons are snapping them. It all depends on how your launching imo, its unfair to say from the rather limited experience the Z community seems to have on slicks that 4XXwhp is the pushing/breakin point of the axles. IMO until we see 5 out of 10 guys on slicks with 400+rwhp breaking axles, then we just wont know, we can only assume. I cant even think of 10 guys on here who use slicks