Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Ross Racing Pistons...anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 09:52 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ross Racing Pistons...anyone?

Does anyone know if Ross has made a piston set for the VQ yet? I know almost everyone is running Arias or CP but I am interested in seeing some other options. A few good friends have used Ross Pistons in the past and they performed absolutely amazingly under some pretty bad race conditions...Also would be interested to see if JE has a set either. I just saw that SGP is now selling Wiseco with their basic short block which looks like a pretty damn good deal also...Wiseco pistons and Eagle Rods sound nice...
Old 10-26-2005, 10:05 AM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you would have great results with all the top piston companies. I persnally like Wiseco the best, but they all make great products. My vote would be for Wiseco. Also check out the extreme duty Arias pistons that Forged Internals sells. Definately something to consider if your building a psycho motor.

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Does anyone know if Ross has made a piston set for the VQ yet? I know almost everyone is running Arias or CP but I am interested in seeing some other options. A few good friends have used Ross Pistons in the past and they performed absolutely amazingly under some pretty bad race conditions...Also would be interested to see if JE has a set either. I just saw that SGP is now selling Wiseco with their basic short block which looks like a pretty damn good deal also...Wiseco pistons and Eagle Rods sound nice...
Old 10-26-2005, 10:11 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by 350Zteve
I think you would have great results with all the top piston companies. I persnally like Wiseco the best, but they all make great products. My vote would be for Wiseco. Also check out the extreme duty Arias pistons that Forged Internals sells. Definately something to consider if your building a psycho motor.
Yes I've looked long and hard at those extreme duty pistons but in all honesty I'm not looking to make 1000 WHP. I want something that can take me to 550- MAYBE 650 every once in a while. My main goal is a solid 550 RWHP daily driver. But I absolutely can't stand hearing piston slap and I would want the motor to sound no different then stock. I know that those are complete opposites when you build a motor. So honestly the Extreme Duty Arias ones are probably not going to be necessary. I may even go with Eagle Rods as my plans dont exceed 650 and I think thats what the SGP website says those are good to. I am seriously considering the basic shortblock from them but with all ARP hardware added. They sell the Wiseco 8.5:1 pistons and Eage rods installed with all machine work for $2700+$1000 core which is a good deal. I was just curious about Ross pistons. I have heard some very amazing stories about their longevity even when being pinged on and it was pretty damn impressive.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:05 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know if the Wiseco's (or Ross for that matter) for the Z are zero silica or not? That's the best thing about the extreem duty pistons is they are silica free which makes them MUCH more resistant to detonation. Either way, that SGP motor sounds like a good deal and the Eagle rods will laugh at 650hp. There are tons of boosted Integra motors making over 600hp on Eagles (with 2 less rods to share the load).
Old 10-26-2005, 04:10 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by 350Zteve
Do you know if the Wiseco's (or Ross for that matter) for the Z are zero silica or not? That's the best thing about the extreem duty pistons is they are silica free which makes them MUCH more resistant to detonation. Either way, that SGP motor sounds like a good deal and the Eagle rods will laugh at 650hp. There are tons of boosted Integra motors making over 600hp on Eagles (with 2 less rods to share the load).
Agreed on the rods....I called Eagle and they said they could handle more like 800. As for the pistons I was not able to reach anyone at Ross today mainly cause I ran out of time before they closed but I don't believe they are zero silica and I'm almost positive the Wisecos are not. I have heard some bad stories about the Wisecos circulating lately but I spoke with SGP today and was assured it was a tuning issue.

Edit: On another note I have heard a few zero silica piston motors in the past and when cold they do seem to be a bit louder then stock...I did get a chance to hear Todds car with the Arias extreme duty pistons though and it seemed to be about the same as stock.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:58 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know of 1 built motor here in Australia using Ross forged pistons, he might chime in when he sees the thread.

I just got some high silicon Arias extreme duty pistons to avoid the potential issues with low silicon while still getting a beefier designed piston.

Last edited by mchapman; 10-26-2005 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:28 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by mchapman
I know of 1 built motor here in Australia using Ross forged pistons, he might chime in when he sees the thread.

I just got some high silicon Arias extreme duty pistons to avoid the potential issues with low silicon while still getting a beefier designed piston.

Very nice...and that would be great if he could!!
Old 10-26-2005, 05:53 PM
cjb80

Ross pistons are good, but they require huge piston to wall clearances. I have used them in many motors that I built for S2000's, but I was running like .006" piston to wall clearance. After having built my Z motor, I am happied running a smaller clearance. I am currently running Wiseco, and I just ordered Arias, and I imagine they will both work similarly. One thing that I won't do again is the banodized coating which Ross offers. All of the motors that I built with the banodizing seemed to burn more oil for some reason..

Chris

PS-Ross was stocking these pistons about 6 months ago, so by now they should have them off the shelf.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:54 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by cjb80
Ross pistons are good, but they require huge piston to wall clearances. I have used them in many motors that I built for S2000's, but I was running like .006" piston to wall clearance. After having built my Z motor, I am happied running a smaller clearance. I am currently running Wiseco, and I just ordered Arias, and I imagine they will both work similarly. One thing that I won't do again is the banodized coating which Ross offers. All of the motors that I built with the banodizing seemed to burn more oil for some reason..

Chris

PS-Ross was stocking these pistons about 6 months ago, so by now they should have them off the shelf.
I guess its Arias for me then...
Old 10-26-2005, 07:58 PM
Carlitos

Originally Posted by cjb80

Chris

I do have ROSS on my G and yes my clearance is .006" I don't think thats a problem as my engine is quiet and I don't have a blow by problem. I did get a Swain coating on the pistons.
My ROSS-Pauter combo is giving me a 546rhp street tune and 581rwh race fuel no n2o. (I did run a 50hp shot on the track, 11.3@127.8)
here is one pic
Old 10-26-2005, 08:15 PM
g356gear

Originally Posted by mchapman

Those look like a higher compression piston.....10.0:1???
Old 10-27-2005, 02:45 AM
mchapman

Originally Posted by g356gear
Those look like a higher compression piston.....10.0:1???
Correct.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:01 PM
2JZfan

buying pistons is the easiest engine choice there is -- you want CP, period.

I could go on forever about all the little things that makes them superior, but consider this single story... We once made a pull in our 1500hp mustang and had one of the two fuel pumps fail... the complete pull was at 17:1 AFR making over 1000hp at 30+ psi of boost... no engine damage at all... perfect compression and leakdown afterwords... the year before, we blew through several probe pistons (made by Ross) with FAR less abuse than that...

CP CP CP

Last edited by 2JZfan; 10-27-2005 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:17 PM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by 2JZfan
buying pistons is the easiest engine choice their is -- you want CP, period.

I could go on forever about all the little things that makes them superior, but consider this single story... We once made a pull in our 1500hp mustang and had one of the two fuel pumps fail... the complete pull was at 17:1 AFR making over 1000hp at 30+ psi of boost... no engine damage at all... perfect compression and leakdown afterwords... the year before, we blew through several probe pistons (made by Ross) with FAR less abuse than that...

CP CP CP
IYO, do the Arias Extreme Duty's compare to CP's?
Old 10-27-2005, 08:30 PM
2JZfan

In a word, no. Will the Arias, Wiseco, Ross, etc. be an upgrade over stock and work "ok" in a 500rwhp motor? Almost definitely. But to me, when you factor the time and money to machine the motor, build it and install it, why let a few hundred bucks stand between "good" pistons and "the best"... I order my engine parts from the largest supplier of aftermarket race pistons in the world... they sell just about ALL brands of pistons, and not just to Joe Meathead who is building a GTO in his driveway, they spec out and sell pistons to the big boys running pro race teams... These guys tell me that the feedback from all of their builders is that CP is at the top of the list. My personal experience is in synch with that, so I have no reason to experiment with anything else.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:56 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cp.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:38 PM
Acree

Originally Posted by phunk
Cp.
i wasn't aware they had pistons available for the 350z. it's not on their website.

http://www.cppistons.com/sCompactNEW.htm
Old 10-28-2005, 06:53 AM
theking

They definitely do. They can also make whatever custom piston setup you want. They have done some custom specs I know of for the VQ35.
Originally Posted by Acree
i wasn't aware they had pistons available for the 350z. it's not on their website.

http://www.cppistons.com/sCompactNEW.htm
Old 10-28-2005, 06:57 AM
03Z33

There's another 350Z race team running the Ross Pistons and they love them. You have to know exactly what you want though, because Ross have a few options in materials and sizes, you can run tighter clearances than what they recommend no problem.