Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

CRAP!!! Oil leaking with APS ST

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 02:05 PM
Jergens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRAP!!! Oil leaking with APS ST

Hey guys. I have oil on my garage floor. Front of the car passenger side. I can't see where the leak is coming from. All I can see is puddles on the garage floor and also there is a oil puddle on the plastic undertray. Splash guard I guess. My oil pressure gauge was making little "hiccups" today at idle but not under throttle. Someone let me know if I should hit the panic button yet or not. I can't see anything from the top of the engine looking down other than the puddle on the splash guard (If that is what the plastic piece down there is called.)

~Josh
Old 11-06-2005, 02:08 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Jergens
Hey guys. I have oil on my garage floor. Front of the car passenger side. I can't see where the leak is coming from. All I can see is puddles on the garage floor and also there is a oil puddle on the plastic undertray. Splash guard I guess. My oil pressure gauge was making little "hiccups" today at idle but not under throttle. Someone let me know if I should hit the panic button yet or not. I can't see anything from the top of the engine looking down other than the puddle on the splash guard (If that is what the plastic piece down there is called.)

~Josh
Check the oil feed line at the block. Where you tapped into the oil pressure sending unit. It could have come loose. DO NOT RUN YOUR CAR UNTIL YOU FIND THE LEAK. Also cycle power on but do not start the motor and listen to hear if the scavenger pump is turning on. just for grins disconnect the intercooler inlet tube and see if there is oil in your intercooler.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:36 PM
zman1910

Check to see if the steel braided line at the front of the car is damaged. Its right under the pullies.

Are you getting smoke from the exhaust? If so what color is it...?

Make sure the scavenge pump is working and check the fuses as well. The scavenge pump is closer to the passenger side. Wait till the car cools down then place your hand on it to feel for the cycling while someone else turns the key all the way but not actually igniting..

If those turn out to be fine then check the oil check valve. It could very well be stuck in its "open position" and is sending too much oil to the turbo causing the turbo to leak from high pressures. The check valve is connected to the braided oil line in the front (right behind it actually).

Good luck Josh...and let me know if I can be of some help.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:45 PM
tig488

ditto...
Old 11-06-2005, 03:21 PM
captj3

Also check the oil return lines to the pan make sure the clamps are tight.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Jergens

Ach thanks guys. I am not going to have a chance to work on this seriously till probably late tomorrow. I'll take down a check list and start going over the car but for now I know "Don't start her". As for smoke, since I noticed the oil there has been no smoke on start up. I've run the car twice recently and there was no exhaust smoke. I DID have smoke on the first start after the car had sat for approx 2 weeks. I immediately pulled over and checked under the hood but nothing was smoking. it went away, I drove around abit and parked the car. Today (first time I noticed oil) I took the car out and saw oil on the garage floor. I checked in the bay and looked dry. When I got back it was a bit messy and dripped again

Anyhow thanks for chiming in so quickly. I'll take the front bumper off tomorrow and start to go through to find what is going on.

For the scavenging pump sound... is the noise I am looking for the slight "brrrrrrrr" when the car goes to "power" on before ignition? At least I'm going to get my hands in there again.

~Josh
Old 11-06-2005, 05:30 PM
g356gear

For the scavenging pump sound... is the noise I am looking for the slight "brrrrrrrr" when the car goes to "power" on before ignition? At least I'm going to get my hands in there again.

~Josh
Don't confuse the scavenge pump sound with the sound of the fuel pump behind tha passenger seat. If you can get under the car....place your hand on the scavenge pump....and have a friend turn the key on but not start the car....just like zman1910 said. You should feel the vibration of the pump for a few seconds before it shuts off.....just like the fuel pump sound will stop after a few seconds. Because they are on the same relay they should stop at the same time.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:12 PM
zman1910

Originally Posted by g356gear
Don't confuse the scavenge pump sound with the sound of the fuel pump behind tha passenger seat. If you can get under the car....place your hand on the scavenge pump....and have a friend turn the key on but not start the car....just like zman1910 said. You should feel the vibration of the pump for a few seconds before it shuts off.....just like the fuel pump sound will stop after a few seconds. Because they are on the same relay they should stop at the same time.
What exactly does the fuel pump sound like?
Old 11-06-2005, 06:26 PM
g356gear

Originally Posted by zman1910
What exactly does the fuel pump sound like?
You can hear it when you turn the key on....slight whirring sound for about 3 seconds from behind the passenger seat. It is actually much louder with the Walbro 255 pumps than the stock one.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:29 PM
Jergens

Originally Posted by g356gear
You can hear it when you turn the key on....slight whirring sound for about 3 seconds from behind the passenger seat. It is actually much louder with the Walbro 255 pumps than the stock one.

Yeah no kidding.. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I left my jack stands in Palm beach so I guess I'll be going to get a new jack tomorrow as no doubt my bastard brother has stolen my other one by now. The car is too low to really get under right now. I might be able to get my hand there with the front bumper off, but prob not. Again thanks guys. I went down there just now.. I pushed the car in neutral back a few feet to see if oil would leak in a new puddle since the car has been off for a few hours now. Luckily there is no excess oil dripping out there so it isn't constant. Of course what bothers me is that means the car is prob dripping oil the entire time it is running. No boost for me for a while

~Josh
Old 11-06-2005, 07:50 PM
captj3

Are you sure it's motor oil? Check your power steering lines I've seen them leak on other kits when the ss oil feed line rubs on it.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Jergens

Hey folks, update. Well I didn't even need to take my front bumper off. I turned the wheel out to check the passenger side and I saw some oil stains around the oil pan. I tightened down the feeds as much as I could at that angle and dug around inside some more. I think it was actually SPRAYING around the bottom of the car because the thing is a damn mess but that seemed to be the only source. I cleaned things up under the car and around the bottom of the bay as much as possible and fired the car up. I do have MINIMAL clear smoke come out after start up if I give her some juice in neutral but honestly I don't think it is any different than when I let the car sit for a while stock. I gave her a few little rev ups to see if any smoke came out and nothing. I checked underneath to see if there was any more dripping and so far so good. I def need to take the car in and have a pro check all the seals and maybe use some sealant, I know Rodger at JapTrix said I should look into some sort of teflon? sealant? I dunno he told me not to worry about it if I was unfamiliar with the product, the car will be fine as long as I keep an eye on it. I don't drive it often and I am taking her in to them within the next 2-3 weeks. I'll just let her sit and keep an eye on things. My oil pressure seems fine from the runs I did yesterday and today on start up the little "Jump" on my gauge has settled down. I think I got it so that there won't be any problems taking it in to a pro. I'm just hoping there isn't any oil down there later tonight or I am going to be pissed

All in all a little oil on my hands has been well worth the holy crap feeling. Thanks for the help gents I will keep everyone posted.

~Josh
Old 11-07-2005, 01:37 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you check your oil level as well, just to make sure you're not a quart or two or three low.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:41 PM
captj3

Was that your silverstone they put the aps s/t into? If it was nice ride now put some miles on it...LOL If you can the club is having a dyno day there soon bring it on over and lets see some numbers.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Jergens

Actually mine is the Super Black. I talked to them today and he said it was on the 18th. I am going to try to get down there for the dyno day but it's a friday and I have class till 2:30 so that kind of sucks. I'll see if I can get down there.. Checked the oil last night and earlier tonight and it's steady. Doesn't seem like much of the oil actually got out so I guess I caught it pretty quick.

~josh
Old 11-08-2005, 04:11 AM
captj3

I believe the date was the 19th not the 18th. We normally have them on the weekends so everyone can attend.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:06 AM
westpak
SFZCC

The APS Single install was from Miami and the Dyno Day is on the 19th a Saturday.
http://www.sfzcc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2082
Old 11-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Jergens

God bless you Gus. Thought it was odd to have one on Friday. Hope to see you guys there!

~Josh
Old 11-10-2005, 06:12 AM
westpak
SFZCC

God bless you Gus. Thought it was odd to have one on Friday. Hope to see you guys there!

~Josh
It should be fun, we will be offering another option to just pulls and that is a 1/4 mile time.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Jergens

Sunova*****. So the car is still leaking oil and on start up now there is a touch of smoke. Drove her around slightly to see if maybe it was just sitting oil but nope. Now there is a small amount of blue (oil ya?) smoke after start up. Also some of it comes out if I have someone give it a good touch of throttle. So question is, what do I do? Is this a major problem where I should not drive the car to Palm Beach next week to JapTrix to have them fix it? If so what do I do? The oil leakage doesn't seem as bad as it was before but lo and behold it's started up again after it seemed fine. Let me know what I should do to get this to someone who is going to be able to figure everything out because I have no idea what the damn problem is. I rechecked everything everyone told me to and it seems like all the work undid itself after 2 drives in about a week.

~Josh

Last edited by Jergens; 11-11-2005 at 05:21 PM.

Quick Reply: CRAP!!! Oil leaking with APS ST