Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

GRD Installed Turbonetics Single.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 04:54 PM
DBZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GRD Installed Turbonetics Single.

Well guys I just got back from GRD. My Turbonetics single install was finished and they started the car up for the first time. The car ran fine but on the Dyno it was running lean in the mid range. Twan and Irshad said I have two choices. One was to send the ECU back to TN and have it reflashed or the second was to use the APS Uni Chip. I choose to do the APS Uni Chip because I thought that I would get my car back that day and I know that Twan is the Guru when it comes to tuning the Uni chip.

Well that fixed it a little but I still had a problem. Now at 5k RPM and up the car would run lean. Twan said that a fuel return would fix all my problems. Now on Monday they are going to install the fuel retuen. The only positive thing is that I am going with a built bottom end before spring and I would need all this anyway. The mods on the car are an APS Plenum, JIC exhaust, APS oil pan.

The funny thing about all this is that I purchased the TN kit instead of the APS single because of the price difference and also the looks. Now I am spending more than the APS kit would have cost me. The car put down 390 RWHP and 390 FT\LB on a Dynapack before we quit.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:09 PM
MIAPLAYA

Um two things...first what was the actual AFR cause "running lean" tells you and us nothing. Two are you sure there was some good fuel in the car. Another person had a similar issue post install where the shop told him his car was in the 12s but after getting some good gas in the car and going right back to the shop the AFR was dead on (11s)

Originally Posted by DBZ33
Well guys I just got back from GRD. My Turbonetics single install was finished and they started the car up for the first time. The car ran fine but on the Dyno it was running lean in the mid range. Twan and Irshad said I have two choices. One was to send the ECU back to TN and have it reflashed or the second was to use the APS Uni Chip. I choose to do the APS Uni Chip because I thought that I would get my car back that day and I know that Twan is the Guru when it comes to tuning the Uni chip.

Well that fixed it a little but I still had a problem. Now at 5k RPM and up the car would run lean. Twan said that a fuel return would fix all my problems. Now on Monday they are going to install the fuel retuen. The only positive thing is that I am going with a built bottom end before spring and I would need all this anyway. The mods on the car are an APS Plenum, JIC exhaust, APS oil pan.

The funny thing about all this is that I purchased the TN kit instead of the APS single because of the price difference and also the looks. Now I am spending more than the APS kit would have cost me. The car put down 390 RWHP and 390 FT\LB on a Dynapack before we quit.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:14 PM
MIAPLAYA

Might I also note that you would be the first person with this kit to run too lean. Everybody else without exception has been rich or dead on save one guy who had a bad tank of gas.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:14 PM
DBZ33

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Um two things...first what was the actual AFR cause "running lean" tells you and us nothing. Two are you sure there was some good fuel in the car. Another person had a similar issue post install where the shop told him his car was in the 12s but after getting some good gas in the car and going right back to the shop the AFR was dead on (11s)
The AFR was in the mid to high 12's. I put in 5 gallons of 100 octane and the rest was 93 octane Moble. I wish that was the problem. Because this is costing me over $1400.00 more.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:17 PM
MIAPLAYA

The AFR was in the mid to high 12's. I put in 5 gallons of 100 octane and the rest was 93 octane Moble. I wish that was the problem. Because this is costing me over $1400.00 more.
Wait you were running 5 gallons of 100 octane and still mid to high 12s? Something is not right. Do you have anymore info. Boost pressure? Point of AFR measurement (tailpipe, downpipe, etc), sensor from Dyno or Innovative or equivalent. Fuel pressure?
Old 11-23-2005, 05:21 PM
DBZ33

As far as I know the AFR was from the Dyno screen that I was looking at. Boost was @ 8-8.5 PSI and vacuum was at -20. I’m not sure about fuel pressure. I was just listening to what Twan was saying.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:22 PM
MIAPLAYA

Ok so boost pressure was 8-8.5 PSI thats fine vacuum sounds good too. Hmm I wonder how accurate that AFR reading is...do you have a wideband gauge installed on the car?

Edit: Were you there when they dyno'd the car?

Second edit: Was the car pinging?
Old 11-23-2005, 05:23 PM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

shoulda got the twins if your going for all that hope you get sorted man.. cant wait to see your results after the fuel system.. btw are you upgrading your injectors too? might as well i think
Old 11-23-2005, 05:26 PM
DBZ33

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Ok so boost pressure was 8-8.5 PSI thats fine vacuum sounds good too. Hmm I wonder how accurate that AFR reading is...do you have a wideband gauge installed on the car?

Edit: Were you there when they dyno'd the car?

Second edit: Was the car pinging?
I was there when they did a few pulls but he didn't want to push it much more to be on the safe side. I have a wideband on order but they were using the one they always use for all there installs.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:29 PM
MIAPLAYA

I was there when they did a few pulls but he didn't want to push it much more to be on the safe side. I have a wideband on order but they were using the one they always use for all there installs.
Hmmm if I was you I would hold off on that return system until the wideband is installed and running and verify the AFR up near the motor. I don't get a warm and fuzzy from tail pipe sensors. They can be grossly in accurate car to car.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:30 PM
DBZ33

Originally Posted by paranormal
shoulda got the twins if your going for all that hope you get sorted man.. cant wait to see your results after the fuel system.. btw are you upgrading your injectors too? might as well i think
Twan said that the TN injectors were fine for the power I am looking for right now. We are going to use the APS fuel return system. He has one that some guy is selling, that upgraded his APS system. I can get at a much lower price than a real return system that sells for $1000.00. I just want my car back making good power and safe.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:37 PM
MIAPLAYA

Twan said that the TN injectors were fine for the power I am looking for right now. We are going to use the APS fuel return system. He has one that some guy is selling, that upgraded his APS system. I can get at a much lower price than a real return system that sells for $1000.00. I just want my car back making good power and safe.
Like I said you may want to hold off until you get your wideband installed and can verify the AFR coming from the manifold.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:37 PM
zero2prove

Mia,
I don't think our wideband is wrong. The ecu pulled timing at 5000rpms when it was running lean. I didn't know he was running a mixture of 100 octane. I have seen some charts floating around that the TN kit does like to run on the leaner side so I wasn't really surprised. I'd be more than happy to not have DBZ33 spend more money on the setup to run safely. If you like I can post up some charts up on Monday when I get back in the shop. Peak boost which is about 8-8.5psi came in at 4000rpms.

Cheers,

Tuan
Old 11-23-2005, 05:40 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by zero2prove
Mia,
I don't think our wideband is wrong. The ecu pulled timing at 5000rpms when it was running lean. I didn't know he was running a mixture of 100 octane. I have seen some charts floating around that the TN kit does like to run on the leaner side so I wasn't really surprised. I'd be more than happy to not have DBZ33 spend more money on the setup to run safely. If you like I can post up some charts up on Monday when I get back in the shop.

Cheers,

Tuan
That would be great. You can email them to me too if you like. Can you possibly tell me what fuel pressure he is running at idle? Can you also verify the boost pressure at the manifold etc? Maybe the APS plenum is leaning the car out a bit. Also what charts do you have showing the Turbonetics 350z kit tends to run lean. I can try and dig up all the ones that have been posted here that show them all running 11s or lower under full boost. I'm not trying to argue with you but I have looked at 85% of all the members charts myself and have not seen more then one run above 11s AFR. And that one guy was ryans350z. I just talked to him today as a matter of fact and he confirms that his wideband in his car is showing 11s or off the scale rich at WOT.

Edit diregard my boost verification statement.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:42 PM
DBZ33

Mia,
I don't think our wideband is wrong. The ecu pulled timing at 5000rpms when it was running lean. I didn't know he was running a mixture of 100 octane. I have seen some charts floating around that the TN kit does like to run on the leaner side so I wasn't really surprised. I'd be more than happy to not have DBZ33 spend more money on the setup to run safely. If you like I can post up some charts up on Monday when I get back in the shop. Peak boost which is about 8-8.5psi came in at 4000rpms.

Cheers,

Tuan

Thanks for posting Tuan. I don't know all the details of what was going on. As you already know I don't mind paying to make it safe and powerful. Thanks again Tuan.

P.S. Sorry for spelling your name wrong before.

Isaac
Old 11-23-2005, 05:45 PM
DBZ33

Mia,

Cheers,

Tuan
Tuan I put the 5 gallons of 100 octane just for safety. I hope that is not the problem.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:51 PM
MIAPLAYA

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ht=turbonetics

For starters
Old 11-23-2005, 05:56 PM
DBZ33

I was just hoping that my first reflash would be perfect. I just have bad luck with car stuff.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:58 PM
MIAPLAYA

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ht=turbonetics
Old 11-23-2005, 05:59 PM
MIAPLAYA

I was just hoping that my first reflash would be perfect. I just have bad luck with car stuff.
The reflash may be ok...thats why I'm saying you should get your wideband installed and then decide where to go.

Quick Reply: GRD Installed Turbonetics Single.