Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

opinions on vortech SC

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 06:29 PM
mayag35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love my vortech. cog belt ripped off once and scared the crap outta me but that was all. other than that 10k miles on it and power is great
Old 10-25-2006, 05:53 AM
streetracer

Originally Posted by charged
Vortech, a great mod but I wish I got the turbonetics single turbo.
Do you need engine removal for the install of the turbonetics turbo? Or any turbo for that matter?

Last edited by streetracer; 10-25-2006 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:42 AM
dutchboy

Originally Posted by streetracer
Do you need engine removal for the install of the turbonetics turbo? Or any turbo for that fact?
Removal is not needed for TN. Some companies remove for TT install.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:37 AM
Vash350Z

2.5k miles of my vortech kit and no major issues. My only gripe is my car idles like dog**** and i cant figure it out.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:41 AM
dutchboy

Originally Posted by Vash350Z
2.5k miles of my vortech kit and no major issues. My only gripe is my car idles like dog**** and i cant figure it out.
Rough idle? Who tuned it? Is it just on cold starts, or does it idle bad when the car is warm also?
Old 10-25-2006, 09:24 AM
Vash350Z

Tuned it myself, the idle is only bad when the car is completely warmed up with the a/c off. the revs will start to bounce from 500 to 700 repeatedly, the bearing noise of the vortech makes it so much more noticable.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:24 AM
dlt1cy

LOU, Sentry and McDuck,

1) Have you rebuilt your motors?
2) Upgraded blower? (which model)
3) What cams? (if any)
4) What engine management?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:03 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't rebuilt the engine - stock bottom here

I have JWT cams - stock springs
stock vortech blower, 2.87 pulley
was using emanage ultimate with a technosquare vortech reflash
now currently in a growing pain stage using AAM reflash and no piggyback, but if my A/F is too lean I'll put the EU back on and tune. So far, so good, but I want to confirm on the dyno first as my A/F gauge might need to be recalibrated. I'm actually going to be using a fuel booster pump and will see if I can just tweak it's voltage curve instead of having to use a piggyback at all. Also, my shop is getting software to tune the ECU directly and I'm going to give that a full shot before dropping yet more $ on another piggyback that doesn't work right

going this route isn't ideal, but the EMS market sucks for the Z

the emanage ultimate is glitchy and fries coils, and also won't let you use ignition amplifiers. The older blue model is really basic and even more glitchy

SS box is very primitive in it's tuning abilities and number of rpm points it can make adjustments

the Fcon Vpro is expensive, but aside from that most people don't have an HKS dealer in their state

A lot of tuners don't like using the UTEC at all because of how much wiring and sensors are involved and then the interface is old fashioned

the SAFCII is can only adjust fuel and only a little, like +/- 5%

The unichip has a lot of limitations, has an old fashioned interface, and only can be tuned at unichip dealers

the MOTEC is crazy expensive and very few dealers. If you have a local dealer (like me) they specialize in boats and chevy's and have never even seen a 350Z engine bay

If I'm not successful with my new setup, I'm personally waiting for the Unichip Q to work out the bugs, the UTEC to become more user friendly, the AEM to come out and not be so glitchy, or a local HKS dealer. If none of those things have happened in the next month or two, depending on how far off my A/F and timing is, I might get a SS box if I dialing in more fuel pump voltage doesn't prove successful

Last edited by sentry65; 10-25-2006 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:39 AM
DMK

Sentry - When you say Technosquare Vortech Reflash are you talking about the L-Spec reflash or something else?
Old 10-25-2006, 11:47 AM
sentry65
the burninator

I'm talking about a flash specifically for the vortech and 3.12 pulley with all major bolt on NA parts with 440 injectors

I now have a AAM flash for my 750cc injectors and 2.87 pulley and NA bolt on parts

but yeah, the flashes also have the raised rev limiter and speed limiter removal (not that I care about going 160+mph)

side note: I know the moment I got the technosquare flash, I immediately started getting P300 multimisfire codes. Haven't driven the new flash long enough to see if I get it with AAM's flash or not, just took it around the block to make sure the car drove. It idles a bit nicer though than having the emanage attempt to deal with the 750's scaling up from the TS 440cc flash

Last edited by sentry65; 10-25-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:48 AM
617G

Here's a question, how did you guys running the SS box prevent the MAF from dumping more fuel on top of the SS box fuel tables while trying to compensate for colder temps? When it was nice and warm (similar temps to when I got dynoed/tuned) my AF's were low-mid 11's all day long. Now, with the 50 degree temps and below, my A/F's are in the low 10s at like 5k rpm...
Old 10-25-2006, 11:51 AM
sentry65
the burninator

being rich is still a better place to be than running lean like a lot of the turbo guys are here in the colder weather
Old 10-25-2006, 11:59 AM
617G

Originally Posted by sentry65
being rich is still a better place to be than running lean like a lot of the turbo guys are here in the colder weather
True. But 10.0/9.9 is pretty damn rich. How much hp is actually robbed by that 1 "point" increase in fuel?
Old 10-25-2006, 12:05 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sentry...Has AAM or any other shop been able to flash the ECU for any thing passed 7 to 8 psi ? The stock MAF cant meter air flow passed that ...can it ?
I know in the passed several guys have had AAM try to do it , but all ended up being lean up top

And I believe VRT has just tuned a TT car to 18psi with the SS box . Mine [ on hot days ] gets to over 14psi and after I tuned the fuel and timing by boost [ not rpm ] I have a smooth fuel curve through out the rpm range

Last edited by booger; 10-25-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:13 PM
617G

Originally Posted by booger
Sentry...Has AAM or any other shop been able to flash the ECU for any thing passed 7 to 8 psi ? The stock MAF cant meter air flow passed that ...can it ?
I know in the passed several guys have had AAM try to do it , but all ended up being lean up top

And I believe VTR has just tuned a TT car to 18psi with the SS box . Mine [ on hot days ] gets to over 14psi and after I tuned the fuel and timing by boost [ not rpm ] I have a smooth fuel curve through out the rpm range
Booger, that's interesting. I didn't know you could tune the SS box by boost..
Old 10-25-2006, 12:28 PM
sentry65
the burninator

I'm not sure really, I haven't run my car into the boost yet with the new flash.

Before when I was on the dyno with the emanage ultimate and TS reflash, we hooked up a diagnostic tool to the ECU port and it wasn't very close to being maxed out. Actually my tuner said that the TS flash was actually pretty dead on with the 3.12 pulley and 440 injectors and all he had to do was minor tweaking.

then I switched to the 2.87 and we had the EU tune for it. I started having fuel pump psi issues though even with 550cc injectors - and later even with 750cc injectors. The issue is something about the pump and it not pumping enough fuel. I'm using a walbro, and we did switch every component on the fuel system (FPR, pump, injectors, some of the hoses) troubleshooting it with no change. Last theory was the wire going to the pump isn't a heavy enough gauge. That's something we'll be addressing too as I'll be relocating my battery to the rear of the car

Jon at Dynocomp installed an APS TT kit on a C6 and noticed it came with a boostapump. He called APS to make sure using that was safe and they said they haven't had any issues in their testing. I guess it only kicks in after about 3 psi of boost to start increasing voltage to the pump so it's not a constant voltage increase at all times like some voltage boost wiring kits do and then burns out your pump. And it's adjustable by a dial as to how much of an increase over the stock voltage level. We both think it might be very worthwhile to try on my car. So we're going to try using that to essentially force the car to run the proper A/F and fuel pressure whether the ECU knows what's going on or not.

If it doesn't work out, then I understand that Charles at CJM is making a heavy duty intank big fuel pump/tank setup kinda like AAM's big stage 2 fuel kit

As far as the timing, I have total faith in the timing map that AAM made. And I'll be running water/meth injection, HKS ignition amp, and around 94-95 octane fuel to reduce the chance of there being too much timing and creating ping. Since Dynocomp is supposed to be getting ECU tuning software, we can in theory adjust timing and fuel as much as the ECU will allow. If we go past that limit with fuel, we'll turn up the voltage on the boostapump.

Dynocomp actually has a lot of faith in the ECU saying it's by far the most advanced ECU of any of the other imports out there, that it reacts faster than any of the STI or EVO ECU's. I forget what else, but there was some other things how the ECU is like 10 years ahead of the competition. They've never attempted to push a high whp Z with the stock ECU though, so we'll see what happens. Another option with maxing out the MAF sensor might be to make a bigger MAF tube, but that might end up making the car drive weird when out of boost

I'm 100% for just getting the Fcon, and Intense Motorsports is an authorized HKS dealer and they'd install and tune it, but I dunno. They only do shop work at their convenience. So if my car had issues, I guess they might be up for troubleshooting it. They have a dynojet

I'll update my main thread once I actually have some new news to report. I have to wait like 2 weeks though for SEMA to blow over first before I can get my car in the shop

Last edited by sentry65; 10-25-2006 at 02:31 PM.