Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics kit, BLOWN motor, i just dont have luck with this car

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 06:03 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
It would be removing the engine and turbo kit and re-installing...Maybe $1500 for that...Assuming he has all the motor labor done elsewhere. He can have the whole motor pulled and send the whole longblock to SGP or Forged Internals for the motor work. SGP charges $2700 for the motor assembled..$1500 should more then cover R&R on the motor and turbo kit..
So you are saying to send the motor and kit to SGP? I think they will charge more than 2700 if they have to remove the kit and accessories and reinstall them plus the heads, camshafts and timing chain and covers. I think you are looking at things too general and not looking at it in detail.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:05 PM
tig488

my cheapest quote was like you said mia, right under 3k for build, plus 2k for removal/install.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:20 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by tig488
my cheapest quote was like you said mia, right under 3k for build, plus 2k for removal/install.
OK so some more realistic numbers 5k is a little more than MIAPLAYA's original 3500.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:38 PM
nissansource

2k to remove a motor and install a motor? thats alot of money
Old 12-19-2005, 06:47 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by nissansource
Again you have to take into account:

1. removal/reinstall of ST kit
2. Removal/reinstall of accessories
3. Removal/reinstall of lower/upper oil pan
4. Removal/reinstall of timing chain (chain/front and rear covers)
5. Removal/reinstall of cams
6. Removal/reinstall of heads
Old 12-19-2005, 06:54 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nissansource
My shop quoted me $2300.00 to take it out and reinstall
Old 12-19-2005, 06:56 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by westpak
Again you have to take into account:

1. removal/reinstall of ST kit
2. Removal/reinstall of accessories
3. Removal/reinstall of lower/upper oil pan
4. Removal/reinstall of timing chain (chain/front and rear covers)
5. Removal/reinstall of cams
6. Removal/reinstall of heads
Exactly. At times, we forget that the motor doesnt just pop out and thats it. Typical remove/replace without a turbo kit is $1500 labor...$2000 with a turbo kit.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:03 PM
tig488

^im about to find this out^
Old 12-19-2005, 07:04 PM
nissansource

i agree on 1000 maybe 1500 not more then that but then again I do my own work. I thought he was geting the motor built for the price of 3500 didnt think it was a bareblock install not complete block
Old 12-20-2005, 06:37 AM
agent_smith

I'm curious as I read though a bit of the earlier parts of this section concerning the way TN is being viewed as non-responsible for this. I still think that the budeon of proof would lie on the installer initally on things like this. The installer will say ...he put on a new exhaust that is my suspicion. Regardless this has been proven not to be a cause for a kaboomed motor as no exhaust has led to no boom on other cars and only half a psi of added boost which has also been said that this system SHOULD be capable of holding.

As the purchaser of a system like this...why should the burdeon of the knowledge of the turbo system be put on me in a case like this? I just paid 5 grand for that knowledge and comfort of knowing that this system will work out the box.

Watching gauges...etc shouldn't be in question given the nature of the flashed ECUs...those are designed to work with the system and should compensate around the situation (exhaust adding) especially since the point is moot.

It comes down to this...he wasn't watching his gauges and didn't have the saftey equippment installed, but does TN require this or the installer require these items be purchased by the customer? Should the customer be required to watch these? Finally, if the equipment was not required to be purchased by the customer, then why the fuss?

The system is sold as a plug and play type of system...parts are standard, but the flash is specific to your current mods. I know ...and most of the folks here seem to know that the system is not stable relying only on the base flash sent to you. That does not consider that there are uninformed people who will also wish to purchase this, but may not be intereted in learning everything about it. Kits sold as simple plug and play solutions for the uninformed user who wants a turbo are also requiring the knowledge of a turbo installer before they are safe to use.

The solution to this issue is simple...sell the kits as tuner kits only or get the flash right and sell it such that things like this are less prone to happening. The flashes are obivously not up to snuff if you have motors still going kaboom, no matter how few and far between they are. If you expect customers to shell out 5k for the system you better be able to tell me that this WILL NOT mess up my car before I even put it on and that you will stand by your products and your installers.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:46 AM
captj3

Agent smith just so you know the owner had gauges. His exhaust was installed by someone else, not the same place that installed the turbo kit.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:27 AM
agent_smith

Originally Posted by captj3
Agent smith just so you know the owner had gauges. His exhaust was installed by someone else, not the same place that installed the turbo kit.
Understood...I honestly think those are moot though. The customer...unless told to buy the gauges shouldn't be required in the flash-type systems.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:55 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

thats absurd...just because its a reflash doesnt make it any less prone to any of the issues that afflict FI installs.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:06 AM
agent_smith

Originally Posted by 35ounces
thats absurd...just because its a reflash doesnt make it any less prone to any of the issues that afflict FI installs.
I think it is absurd to think otherwise. If I had an AFC, TEC-2, or an e-manage installed in my FI car I'd be able to control the fuel as needed and richen the mixture/cut timing if need be on the car to the point where the knock would be manageable until I could get it to the dyno or just butt dyno to a safe point with an EGT and boost gauge.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:12 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

The point of the gauges is to be informed as to how the car is running not to fix it. If the install had problems (eg. a post maf intake leak) then you would have no idea without gauges that your running lean and that is hardly the fault of the ECU/reflash. Expecting the car to run perfectly because it is a reflash is just crazy.

Also, most people could not adjust the maps on their car so easily with an emanage etc. in the off chance of noticing knock.

Last edited by 35ounces; 12-20-2005 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:05 AM
MIAPLAYA

The problem here is that the exhaust was installed and any responsible reputable shop would take the car around the block at the least and verify the boost pressure did not change...Exhaust systems are a DIRECT contributer to increased boost in a turbocharged car regardless of the system so at the VERY LEAST the shop should have checked that. I have again yet to see what boost pressure he was at during failure. Having gauges in my opinion is not even an option in a boosted 10.3:1 compression N/A stock car. Its mandatory..This car was never designed for boost and regardless of the plug and play ability of the kit gauges are absolutely necessary. A gun is an out box ready to go solution. Does that mean I should not learn how to use it and observe safety precautions? If I shoot myself in the foot is it the gun manufacturers problem because I wasn't watching whether I had a round in the chamber or not when I pulled the trigger?
Old 12-20-2005, 09:08 AM
nissansource

Manufacturers fault 100% for not providing safety instructional video =)

JK~!
Old 12-20-2005, 09:10 AM
nissansource

Btw Nock readout on our Nissan Cars 2003+ goes to about 5000rpm and is useless after
Old 12-20-2005, 09:17 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
The problem here is that the exhaust was installed and any responsible reputable shop would take the car around the block at the least and verify the boost pressure did not change...Exhaust systems are a DIRECT contributer to increased boost in a turbocharged car regardless of the system so at the VERY LEAST the shop should have checked that. I have again yet to see what boost pressure he was at during failure. Having gauges in my opinion is not even an option in a boosted 10.3:1 compression N/A stock car. Its mandatory..This car was never designed for boost and regardless of the plug and play ability of the kit gauges are absolutely necessary. A gun is an out box ready to go solution. Does that mean I should not learn how to use it and observe safety precautions? If I shoot myself in the foot is it the gun manufacturers problem because I wasn't watching whether I had a round in the chamber or not when I pulled the trigger?
Thats kind of funny, I originally had the same exact analogy to a gun and shooting yourself in the foot in my post!
Old 12-20-2005, 09:21 AM
nissansource

regardless theres an issue here... 17 degrees on the timing didnt they nock the mossy Z to 14 b/c it detonated and still does but not regularly? also I heard that they unbolted the exhuast and made another 60rwhp i dont know if i belive that one but i do still think that there is too much timing in the map and I know it needs to be turned down

Quick Reply: Turbonetics kit, BLOWN motor, i just dont have luck with this car