Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics kit, BLOWN motor, i just dont have luck with this car

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 03:48 PM
350zbiturbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

w/e i didnt make this thread to get critisized on something that i spent almost 5 grand on and it doesnt work properly unless i spend 2 grand more on another ecu management and tune your right its all my fault that i expected something from a big company to work well and not have to worry bout it, yes your all right geez
Old 12-19-2005, 03:49 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Are you kidding me Over 150 TN kits have now been sold I believe and we know of less than a handful guys with blown motors. Two situations I can think of were due to owner negligence. Do you think the Emanage is **** poor as well, because hundreds of Greddy TT owners blew their motors into the gound because they didnt retune it and ran it on a base map with no supporting mods? I think its a little unfair and harsh to say its **** poor Nobody would say its as good as a custom tune from any of the piggybacks, but its FAR from **** poor....

I think any flash solution where the user is unable to tune the car themselves on a dyno well SUCKS....IMO. Not a big fan of flashes where you gotta pay dyno time to do 1 run, find out you're screwed, pay money to mail the ECU, etc etc etc and repeat vs spending 30 min and nailing the tune right then and there. And what about summer vs winter conditions? It's about as inconvenient as you can get. I'm sure all those TN people detonating on 93 octane fuel here in the winter all the sudden is a strange coincidence. I dunno, sorry for ruffling your feathers Alberto. I know you own a TN kit and are going to be putting it on sometime

I doubt most TN owners are driving with stock exhaust

people with the greddy kit blew motors because the stock tune is bad, and well, everything else. No return fuel system, no baffled/bigger oil pan, etc. But yeah, the emanage isn't the greatest thing either. It works, but the stock ECU is still fighting it and changing the overall timing and fuel around

Last edited by sentry65; 12-19-2005 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:56 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by 350zbiturbo
w/e i didnt make this thread to get critisized on something that i spent almost 5 grand on and it doesnt work properly unless i spend 2 grand more on another ecu management and tune your right its all my fault that i expected something from a big company to work well and not have to worry bout it, yes your all right geez
How can you say it doesn't work properly?! Did the car run fine pre-exhaust?
Old 12-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well in your case obviously something failed, but what failed first was that you didnt check everything. It sounds like to me your boost prolly spiked, but we dont even know because you didnt really check your guages that well. You are putting too much responsibility on TN. Common sense tells me if the flash was designed for a stock car, that any additional mods like an exhaust, a plenum, anything could cause boost spikes, and lean air/fuel ratios, in other words make your stock car tune unsafe. Some TN cars with exhaust, crank pullies, and plenums have no issues with boost spiking or a/f, some do. The kit did work as promised like you said for the 2000 miles that you ran it with the stock exhaust. You altered it, didnt proceed with caution and now say you spent $5000 on something that didnt work properly? Take some responsibility, take it as a lesson learned and be more careful in the future with the kit. Like I said Im not trying to kick you when your down believe me I went through something similar years ago with another car(an expensive mistake) I came out more knowledgable and broke But I learned from it. Good luck in the future with your car, get a wideband if you havent already, always check your tune after any changes in the future and watch those guages.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:01 PM
ZON

Don't mind them , man. They all just love to jump in on this stuff and sound off, i do it too. Sorry about your mishap and having to learn the hard way.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:08 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah sorry for jumping on you a little. Going FI is just a huge responsibility and everyone really needs to do their homework, take the right precautions, and find a great shop before jumping into it before they're ready
Old 12-19-2005, 05:13 PM
RBlover69

or just go with safe stillen setup and have NA Zs pass u lol
Old 12-19-2005, 05:23 PM
350zbiturbo

ok random question, just if someone can give me a really close idea of how much it is to build the motor and pretty much have everything done on the car?? turbo installed and all, can someone just give me a ball park of how much it is to build it anyone?/??
Old 12-19-2005, 05:26 PM
MIAPLAYA

ok random question, just if someone can give me a really close idea of how much it is to build the motor and pretty much have everything done on the car?? turbo installed and all, can someone just give me a ball park of how much it is to build it anyone?/??
Ball park...$3500
That includes:
Eagle rods: $570
Arias Pistons: $750
ARP head and main studs: $380

And that includes labor to pull motor, machine, install parts, and re-install motor. The upside is with that combo you are good into the high 500s
Old 12-19-2005, 05:26 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Well the ECu reflash is marginal at best specially when runnin git at 8.5 pounds which is close to the max the MAF can handle before goin ape.

How can he be blamed for installing an exhaust and assuming it woul dbe fine since it has been said various times that the kit was tested without an exhaust, how much freer can you go? so any exhaust should be more restrictive than that and therefore assumed to be safe.

The Greddy stock tune is not bad, it is very rich and safe, we have had a couple of cars run for a long time on stock boost, it is not safe if you turn the boost up though.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:32 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Ball park...$3500
That includes:
Eagle rods: $570
Arias Pistons: $750
ARP head and main studs: $380

And that includes labor to pull motor, machine, install parts, and re-install motor. The upside is with that combo you are good into the high 500s
That is a little low you have bearings, gaskets plus in the labor you woul dhave removal and reinstall of accessories, removal and reinstall of turbo kit.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:36 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by westpak
That is a little low you have bearings, gaskets plus in the labor you woul dhave removal and reinstall of accessories, removal and reinstall of turbo kit.
The bearings aren't THAT much more dude. Total parts cost minus bearings is $1700. That leaves almost $2k for labor and bearings. SGP will do a complete assembled short block with all of the above for $2700. Are you saying it costs more then $1000 to pull and replace a block?
Old 12-19-2005, 05:40 PM
350zbiturbo

can someone please direct me tom someone that i can call to order the stuff, im gonna talk to japtrix and see what they think, see if they would be able to do it for that price, im assuming i should look for a good price of like 4000 and i have my car back??? someone tell me where and who to talk to i seriously think that would be the best idea bc id rather keep the car for another year and 1/2 and for 4000 bucks im gonna have to spend extra on buying the new car ill fix this and yes drive it for a little longer, alright guys, and turbonetics(miaplaya), how bout you help me with a really good deal lol on a piggyback to tune the car lol/??? maybe? lol
Old 12-19-2005, 05:43 PM
MIAPLAYA

can someone please direct me tom someone that i can call to order the stuff, im gonna talk to japtrix and see what they think, see if they would be able to do it for that price, im assuming i should look for a good price of like 4000 and i have my car back??? someone tell me where and who to talk to i seriously think that would be the best idea bc id rather keep the car for another year and 1/2 and for 4000 bucks im gonna have to spend extra on buying the new car ill fix this and yes drive it for a little longer, alright guys, and turbonetics(miaplaya), how bout you help me with a really good deal lol on a piggyback to tune the car lol/??? maybe? lol
Did you call Reggie today at all? Just curious... would start at www.forgedinternals.com He can get you all the hardware. He can even build the motor for you if you send him the block you have now...
Old 12-19-2005, 05:48 PM
westpak
SFZCC

The bearings aren't THAT much more dude. Total parts cost minus bearings is $1700. That leaves almost $2k for labor and bearings. SGP will do a complete assembled short block with all of the above for $2700. Are you saying it costs more then $1000 to pull and replace a block?
Well if it was just removal and reinstalling it then yes, but you are talking about removing the ST kit, removing the engine, removing accessories, disasembling the engine, reassembling the engine, reinstalling accessories, reinstalling the engine, reinstalling the ST kit so yes 2k in labor is low.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Z PHAT Z

Believe it or not MIA, most places I've checked to see how much to pull the and replace a block is in the range of $2000 to $2,500. That's because they have to take out the turbo accessories and re-install it.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:51 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by westpak
Well if it was just removal and reinstalling it then yes, but you are talking about removing the ST kit, removing the engine, removing accessories, disasembling the engine, reassembling the engine, reinstalling accessories, reinstalling the engine, reinstalling the ST kit so yes 2k in labor is low.
It would be removing the engine and turbo kit and re-installing...Maybe $1500 for that...Assuming he has all the motor labor done elsewhere. He can have the whole motor pulled and send the whole longblock to SGP or Forged Internals for the motor work. SGP charges $2700 for the motor assembled..$1500 should more then cover R&R on the motor and turbo kit..
Old 12-19-2005, 05:52 PM
350zbiturbo

i called reggie today but he didnt pick up i left him a message i called him around 5 or 6 miami time, maybe thats too late i dont know ill try and call him tomm morning when i get a break, my money situation will be hurt so if reggie could help me out with something like that i would have to say that turbonetics, has out of this world customer service but not gonna get my hopes up, i am wondering one thing though, in everyones opinion is 4 grand a reasonable price to basically finish my car and get it back dont want to get overcharged, i know no one would screw me like that but im educating myself like everyone has said to do.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:53 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Z PHAT Z
Believe it or not MIA, most places I've checked to see how much to pull the and replace a block is in the range of $2000 to $2,500. That's because they have to take out the turbo accessories and re-install it.
I need to go work there then...that definitely higher then anything I've heard quoted here. Most shops here are charging $750-1000 for turbo install with gauges and dyno testing. Average I've seen is in the 800 range for just the kit. The motor is not THAT hard to pull..
Old 12-19-2005, 05:56 PM
MIAPLAYA

i called reggie today but he didnt pick up i left him a message i called him around 5 or 6 miami time, maybe thats too late i dont know ill try and call him tomm morning when i get a break, my money situation will be hurt so if reggie could help me out with something like that i would have to say that turbonetics, has out of this world customer service but not gonna get my hopes up, i am wondering one thing though, in everyones opinion is 4 grand a reasonable price to basically finish my car and get it back dont want to get overcharged, i know no one would screw me like that but im educating myself like everyone has said to do.
Not sure what time he left...if you left a message he'll call you back...I think $4000 is about right...it depends on who does what and what parts you get... CP and Forged Internals quoted me $2750 or was it $2800 for a pre-assembled motor with Arias 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, and ARP hardware. That gives you about $1200 to have the kit and motor pulled and put back in..I guess it really depends on the shop..It seems the labor rate is far lower out here which I find odd. Maybe cause theres more shop...Competition drives down costs...

Quick Reply: Turbonetics kit, BLOWN motor, i just dont have luck with this car