Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics kit, BLOWN motor, i just dont have luck with this car

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 11:38 AM
prescience

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by agent_smith
If that is the case the liability is either on the installer or the manufacturer of the kit for the faillure unless there are some sort of caveat as stated before that would limit the manufacturer or installers' liability.
It would be madness (legally) for any manufacturer/installer if they didn't limit their liability in some way.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:39 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by nissansource
Personally me i think there needs to be a tad of timing pulled from the flashes i really havnt hooked up a consult to see what timeing is being ran thoughout the band but it sure seems agressive. My car doesnt detonate all the time. i am running a full tank of 91 to see if it comes back. ive been mixing 109 so i hope it burned off any leftover from my last fill
Theres very little advance dialed in I can tell you that...I want to say 17 degrees total at its max...but that may not be accurate...
Old 12-19-2005, 11:42 AM
agent_smith

Originally Posted by prescience
It would be madness (legally) for any manufacturer/installer if they didn't limit their liability in some way.

True, but if they limit their liabilities...then why exactly am I going to you again to put this part in? I could just as soon start sourcing parts myself and attempt to DIY it if nobody is ever willing to own up to problems.

I understand the data is limited...so I'll leave it as...he probably should have dynoed the thing...but I still feel something isn't quite right here and that the situation should potentially be looked at more than just his total fault.

***disclaimer...I don't even know this guy...and could care less if he has to pay it all or gets it free and I have no bones to pick with anyone or anything to sell to anyone...**
Old 12-19-2005, 11:46 AM
prescience

True, but if they limit their liabilities...then why exactly am I going to you again to put this part in? I could just as soon start sourcing parts myself and attempt to DIY it if nobody is ever willing to own up to problems.

I understand the data is limited...so I'll leave it as...he probably should have dynoed the thing...but I still feel something isn't quite right here and that the situation should potentially be looked at more than just his total fault.

***disclaimer...I don't even know this guy...and could care less if he has to pay it all or gets it free and I have no bones to pick with anyone or anything to sell to anyone...**
Yeah, what MIA says is true but similarly I have a little alarm bell ringing in my head about this
Old 12-19-2005, 11:46 AM
MIAPLAYA

I'm not asking it be left as "his fault" whether it is or isn't. I am just as much interested in determining what the root cause is here too. As for liabiility I don't think any company out there is going to accept complete liability for any motor that fails with their kit on it. Theres just too many variables there. The reason people choose a companys kit over DIY is for the R&D that goes into it. I don't think you are going to see too many Z guys building their own turbo kits. Not on this car. The Spec V was MUCH easier to fab up stuff on. Trust me I used to own one.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:54 AM
nissansource

Too many variables with this guys car second motor what not. Im not sure but talking to shagspeed now hes gonna ring up Reggie to talk about whats happening see whats up
Old 12-19-2005, 11:55 AM
agent_smith

Then I guess you know about Dion's 400 hp QR monster that was built by Travis over at Forced Induction racing? That would be the one that I worked on with him sad to say. I'm not sure if I'd agree that a higher-horsepower kit is "easier" on a QR...Travis was about the only person to attempt it at b15sentra...heck in his latest one he even put a VQ in a sentra and ran it full of nitrous and pulled a 12 the other day. I think that local shops that understand turbocharging and understand volumetric effencies along with a competent staff are just as qualified as any other kit...but that's just me.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:00 PM
MIAPLAYA

Then I guess you know about Dion's 400 hp QR monster that was built by Travis over at Forced Induction racing? That would be the one that I worked on with him sad to say. I'm not sure if I'd agree that a higher-horsepower kit is "easier" on a QR...Travis was about the only person to attempt it at b15sentra...heck in his latest one he even put a VQ in a sentra and ran it full of nitrous and pulled a 12 the other day. I think that local shops that understand turbocharging and understand volumetric effencies along with a competent staff are just as qualified as any other kit...but that's just me.
Yes I know all about Dion's car. Hgh horespower in terms of the QR25 is 400. Thats an increase of 260 hp...Factor that into the Z...260 HP gain on the Z is in the 490-500 range. What I mean be easier is in relation to making manifolds and fabbing up piping. I think that local shops that know turbos and Ve are good absolutely. But small shops like Trav don't have the R&D resources of a company like Turbonetics when it comes to dyno testing several combinations of items. I keep up with the B15 world quite a bit still. And in the end small shops are never going to be able to porduce their product as fast as large manufacturers..Look at PTI..perfect example...
Old 12-19-2005, 12:05 PM
agent_smith

Heck pipe was about the only thing Travis is good at doing in a timely manner. Everything else (actually getting parts in) he's crap at. That is my only aggrivation with the smaller shops is that the big boys they order from could care less about them and give preference to the bigger shops. He offered to work a set of IC pipes for my galant and have the jig sent to California in a weekend and the delivery was about a month later. I just scrapped that and got a Z...but anyway..we're getting off topic.

I think I'm done here though. Final thought...get yer crap tuned and then tune it again.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:28 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havent read this whole thread , but is it possible that the ECU changed maps on its own ? Or does the flash keep this from happening ? Also , Is it possible that the CAS wire could be the culprit ? If Mia's car was tested with out an exhaust hooked up , and no boost increase happened . There had to be something else going on with this car to cause the motor to go . The list of thing that could have been wrong is long and by just adding an exhaust is'nt going to cause a motor to go . Some thing else was wrong and when the exhausst was put on , it may have compounded the problem . And if I read right , the owner didnt have a A/F or boost gauge . How can T-netic's be responsible for anything that happened to a car that wasnt monitored ?
Old 12-19-2005, 12:31 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by booger
I havent read this whole thread , but is it possible that the ECU changed maps on its own ? Or does the flash keep this from happening ? Also , Is it possible that the CAS wire could be the culprit ? If Mia's car was tested with out an exhaust hooked up , and no boost increase happened . There had to be something else going on with this car to cause the motor to go . The list of thing that could have been wrong is long and by just adding an exhaust is'nt going to cause a motor to go . Some thing else was wrong and when the exhausst was put on , it may have compounded the problem . And if I read right , the owner didnt have a A/F or boost gauge . How can T-netic's be responsible for anything that happened to a car that wasnt monitored ?
The reflash replaces the advanced timing map with the standard map so thats not the issue. The CAS wire doesn't appear to be an issue so far. I have run my car without a CAS all together and it never had an issue. I think the consensus these days is the CAS wire is not causing blow ups...
Old 12-19-2005, 12:52 PM
nissansource

Actually I was in talks with a G35 Fellow the otherday at a Meet talking about the CAS issues explaining that the CAS sure as hell can be a issue. Lots of race cars run a sheilded CAS and that any interfearance with the CAS can result in a major error IE not gapping the plugs down so that the coils dont have to focus much on fireing a larger gapped plug more voltage larger possibility of Interfearance. It makes alot of sense to upgrade such a faulty product from the factory on our FI cars that where designed to meet the tollerance of the stock motor and not our upgraded FI cars with all sorts of gadgets and gizmos.

Last edited by nissansource; 12-19-2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:56 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by nissansource
Actually I was in talks with a G35 Fellow the otherday at a Meet talking about the CAS issues explaining that the CAS sure as hell can be a issue. Lots of race cars run a sheilded CAS and that any interfearance with the CAS can result in a major error IE not gapping the plugs down so that the coils dont have to focus much on fireing a larger gapped plug more voltage larger possibility of Interfearance. It makes alot of sense to upgrade such a faulty product from the factory on our FI cars that where designed to meet the tollerance of the stock motor and not our upgraded FI cars with all sorts of gadgets and gizmos.
I think the point is that people have scoped our CAS and could not replicate any interferecne. The only person who says they got it was APS and they only got it once according to them. I've heard rumors that the CAS was just not clean enough for the Unichip but not that the ECU has issues...
Old 12-19-2005, 12:57 PM
nissansource

its one of those voodoo issues no one is sure about
Old 12-19-2005, 01:33 PM
350zbiturbo

Ok well, im not sure bout the a/f, but im gonna go to my car tomm i havent driven it for a week now but i have the defi boost gauge and im gonna check what my peak boost was, thatll give you a little more info, it always gets recorded so thatll help a little im sure, just remember something and give me some credit when your flooring your car, im paying attention to the road, not gauges, sorry if i have that fault in me to not want to crash
Old 12-19-2005, 01:35 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by 350zbiturbo
Ok well, im not sure bout the a/f, but im gonna go to my car tomm i havent driven it for a week now but i have the defi boost gauge and im gonna check what my peak boost was, thatll give you a little more info, it always gets recorded so thatll help a little im sure, just remember something and give me some credit when your flooring your car, im paying attention to the road, not gauges, sorry if i have that fault in me to not want to crash
Any info would be awesome!!
Old 12-19-2005, 02:33 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to be a d!ck, but we simply have another case of a not very knowledgable FI owner, who did not take the proper precautions, he did not watch his boost guage carefully enough after installing his free flowing exhaust, who did not have a wideband in the car, and who did not take his car to a dyno after putting the exhaust on to verify the a/f with his wideband.

I cant believe guys are in this post asking ¨do I need a wideband?¨ Hell yeah why wouldnt you have one its less than $400 for an expensive one and will save you from spending way more than that on the motor when it blows. And why would you have a boost guage and then say you watch the road so you wont crash!? Why have guages then, how hard is it to go to an empty road boost through 2nd gear quickly and watch the guage, or at least check the max boost feature on it? Im sorry for your motor but nobody should be blaing TN for this. If the owner had done his research, and had more common sense I believe this could have been avoided. Take it as an expensive lesson learned....
Old 12-19-2005, 02:36 PM
nissansource

AEM UEGO w/Sensor 250.00

btw not everyone frequents the Z boards when they buy something from a Reputable company they should think there out of the box solution should work. and in these cases lately its partially working. Im sure TN will have an answer. I really like the company and people that work for them
Old 12-19-2005, 02:39 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah I kinda 2nd that too sadly, though IMO the ECU flash is a **** poor solution on TN's part. People don't always know how things work and will just rely on the turbo manufacturer to make sure things run perfect.

I'd say it was mostly the installer's fault. They shouldn't have even let the car go or said they'd install it if they didn't have the proper "safety equipment" AKA gauges in this case - AND do a dyno right afterwords etc
Old 12-19-2005, 03:46 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sentry65
though IMO the ECU flash is a **** poor solution on TN's part.
Are you kidding me Over 150 TN kits have now been sold I believe and we know of less than a handful guys with blown motors. Two situations I can think of were due to owner negligence. Do you think the Emanage is **** poor as well, because hundreds of Greddy TT owners blew their motors into the gound because they didnt retune it and ran it on a base map with no supporting mods? I think its a little unfair and harsh to say its **** poor Nobody would say its as good as a custom tune from any of the piggybacks, but its FAR from **** poor....

Quick Reply: Turbonetics kit, BLOWN motor, i just dont have luck with this car