Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Finally got my car....4ht (or 6th) time is a charm!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 03:43 PM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MOTOP
Not funny.

Actually it is, inside joke so you wouldnt get it.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:28 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome Gurgen...glad you are up and running again. Enjoy, have fun....and keep me posted!
Old 02-14-2006, 05:47 PM
MOTOP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XBS
Actually it is, inside joke so you wouldnt get it.
I saw Gurgen's reaction to jokes about next engine, believe me, even though he might laugh he doesn't find it amuzing. Neither would I.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:05 PM
Jaki

Wow, you've been through a lot... I would've given up after the first rebuild (or 2nd for sure)... Good luck with it, and have fun boosting once again.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome Gurgen.

And I hope all the bad luck stays away from your engine this time. You've been through enough punishment for 4 people.

Good luck and see you soon.
Tony

PS Let me know when you are ready for the water injection.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:33 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Hey Guys

Andrew, XBS George is true *******.... (just kidding, he is a friend of mine), so it's all good.

Thanks again for the good wishes. Andrew (MOTOR) and I will hopefully be arranging to shoot a video, much like Sharif's famous vid. Hehe
Old 02-14-2006, 08:36 PM
AmyCroft

Smile GurgenPB - XBS - All Good fun

Originally Posted by GurgenPB
Hey Guys

Andrew, XBS George is true *******.... (just kidding, he is a friend of mine), so it's all good.

Thanks again for the good wishes. Andrew (MOTOR) and I will hopefully be arranging to shoot a video, much like Sharif's famous vid. Hehe
Good to see GurgenPB down in the southland last weekend.

We met up at Wld350z's shop in La Mirada.

XBS (George) brought the PIZZA

Tony DG and Gurgen were putting Greddy EU - Tuning up on the Wld350Z Unit.

Gurgen changed the break-in oil on the new Block ( Number 4 ) while he was here.
XBS was giving Gurgen his Ration : - The inside joke is a fresh Block ( Number 5 ) is transported and being patted on it's heads as Gurgen's 350Z/G35 Coupe spare motor..
But Block Number 4 is one sweet build. Very smooth and Very powerful.

After an Oil Change - the engine was as smooth as a Baby's Butt.

I think that some failure issues were not addressed in the first post of this thread. However it is a good synopsis.

Gurgen if you would later advise the members of this Forum/SubForum of how to relate symtoms to those failures you found, as you are a wealth of information.

Gurgen is a very tall man, and put's a 350Z on as an extra coat. The next car may well be one of those 2007 G35C's - Coupe or Convertable.

Cheers Amy -
Old 02-14-2006, 09:51 PM
MOTOP

I get it. I'm sorry if I over reacted. I was in the car with Gurgen when we saw first signs of defects in previous block. Major reality check, wouldn't wish it to any car owner, let alone somebody who is as invested into their cars as Gurgen.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:20 PM
AmyCroft

Smile Roger that = Understood

Originally Posted by MOTOP
I get it. I'm sorry if I over reacted. I was in the car with Gurgen when we saw first signs of defects in previous block. Major reality check, wouldn't wish it to any car owner, let alone somebody who is as invested into their cars as Gurgen.

Yes = Understood... A real shook...You look at each other and go --- No Way !

Done that too often..

Like when my 350Z got Crashed by a girl taking it around the block. :0

Cheers Amy -
Old 02-14-2006, 10:50 PM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea sorry Motor didnt want to sound like an ***, didnt know u were one of gurgens friends too haha, its all good. I just always give him **** and he gives me some too,

-George
Old 02-15-2006, 06:32 AM
1G'

good to see you back in the game Gurgen!!! seems Ted knows his **** huh?? yeah he did mine like we talked about with W/I and im at 515 or so with a stock block and the SGP VB. Everything seems fine runs hard (knock on wood). man i hope this is the last block for a very long time for ya bro.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:18 PM
t32gzz

Congrats Gurgen! Nobody deserves it more than you. Now go surprise some exotics.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:15 PM
AmyCroft

Smile And for A New Ration - Stickers

Originally Posted by XBS
Yea sorry Motor didnt want to sound like an ***, didnt know u were one of gurgens friends too haha, its all good. I just always give him **** and he gives me some too,

-George
George.. I ordered ( I don't know how the process works ) some My350Z Dot com Stickers...

We will have to put them on Gurgen's G and Tony's Z so forum members can identify them... Like Wld350Z Car isn't obvious as a "whut da Fug is that" kinda car.

But GurgenPB zips the state from end to end - he should be identified...

Cheers Amy -
Old 02-15-2006, 10:51 PM
Mean Gene

Talking I Want Some Credit!!

What about me?? I'm the guy who keeps buying all of Gurgen's "spare" parts ( like his AEBS block; J&S Safeguard & PE injectors ) so I'm showin' him some love by helping with his cash flow!! I guess the next thing G will be trying to sell me ( & OF COURSE I'll buy it!! ) is his A/T. Pretty soon he'll have sold me his entire car piece by piece!!
G - call Dave & tell him to finish my block - NOW!!!!!!!

Nothin' but love for ya, G & I admire your "never say die" spirit!!

Gene
Old 02-16-2006, 09:44 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

hell ya gurgen...we have twin motors...awwwww how cute

this one will get you to 600wheel!!! and stay there for 60kmiles+
Old 02-16-2006, 10:12 PM
mchapman

Hey Guys

Many of you know the history of my car. Let me dispell some mystery. This is the 6th time we had to go into the engine, but this is the 4th block in this car's history. First stock block went due to a rod bolt failure. Second block, my first built block, was the crappy Z1 Motorsports-built longblock, that was trash from top to bottom. We toasted a ring when invetigating a 4" MAF housing solution. Then I sleeved the block (AEBS - 3rd block), and the work done on it was faulty, as there were metal shavings cought in between the sleeves and the block, and two of the sleeves leaked. A head gasket change (twice) did NOT solve the problem. After the block was fixed and pressure tested, I reassessed by HP goals once again, and figured that I would be ok with a stock block and did not really need the sleeves. I have 550cc injectors and the 550 or so whp that they would afford would be sufficient for me. That brings me to this current/latest block - Scott Performance-built block #4.

I gotta tell you, we went over the entire engine once again, including hte heads...whcih is when we found out that hte Z1-built heads (the valves) were leaking badly, which contributed to the 20%+ leakdown numbers on every cylinder.... Ted Taormina of Scott Performance in Santa Clara did the work this time, and i should have gone this route the very first time. I wish i knew as much a year ago as i do today, thigs would have been different...anyway, water under the bridge...

Ted did a truly superb job. I ahve never ever seen/felt an engine this smooth (knocking on wood as I am typing this). It is silky smooth. Here is the list of components that I ended up with:

PE TT kit.. modifications to the poor Pre-IC Y-piece coming soon (before tuning)
Arias Xtreme duty pistons 9.0:1 (0.020" over) - thanks to Sharif for these.
Pauter Rods
ARP main studs
Stock head studs
Cometic head gaskets
Light headwork (springs, etc.. by Scott Perf.)
Motordyne 1/2" plenum spacer
eManage Ultimate
PE 550 injectors (officially sold as 510cc)
Innovate! Motorsports MTS - 17 channels (soon 22 channels).
-- Dual bank wideband, TimingAdvance, self-calibrating MAP/Boost, TPS, APPS, EGT, CHT, InjDuty, CamDuty, ECT, IAT, MAF, etc..
Walbro 255lph with CJM -8AN Wye and custom FPR correction kit for the sedan
AAM fuel rails, -8AN main fuel feed.
SGP

etc....

I just put about 1400miles on the car with varying loads. In the last few days, have started to push the car... and it's amazing how well it runs (again knock on wood). It's nice to be back! This time around, with the Innovate's MTS having matured as much as it did, I am expecting the tune to be very good. Will get into that upon completion of some of my work projects...

Dyno plot coming soon.

Again, a huge thanks to Ted Taormina of Scott Performance, I mean it. I have really not seen anyone this meticulous when it comes to building engines.

Gurgen
Nice to see you persisting

Question, any reason why you went with the stock head studs?
Old 02-16-2006, 10:23 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Originally Posted by mchapman
Nice to see you persisting

Question, any reason why you went with the stock head studs?
Ahhh you cought that!

That was a subject of much deliberation. The obvious reason is that they are NOT torque yield studs (the ARPs that is) and i would not be spenidng 10hours on labor just to retorque the heads. The stockers are torque yield, so i went with those. THis 'yield' is also an issue that I encountered in my reseach with respect to head gasket longevity. It is said that non-yield studs "burrow" into the headgasket, i.e. byte into it when the heads/block expand, degrading it over time. As a result, it's been said by some very experienced people, that non-yield studs are things of race, and not street cars, where engines are rebuild after every race. Head lift, whcih is what many people are trying to prevent with studs, is only an issue if detonation is enoucntered, otherwise there is simply not enough force to 'lift' the heads and stretch the studs. That's the theory anyway. I hope I am right.

Gurgen
Old 02-18-2006, 05:30 PM
mchapman

Ahhh you cought that!

That was a subject of much deliberation. The obvious reason is that they are NOT torque yield studs (the ARPs that is) and i would not be spenidng 10hours on labor just to retorque the heads. The stockers are torque yield, so i went with those. THis 'yield' is also an issue that I encountered in my reseach with respect to head gasket longevity. It is said that non-yield studs "burrow" into the headgasket, i.e. byte into it when the heads/block expand, degrading it over time. As a result, it's been said by some very experienced people, that non-yield studs are things of race, and not street cars, where engines are rebuild after every race. Head lift, whcih is what many people are trying to prevent with studs, is only an issue if detonation is enoucntered, otherwise there is simply not enough force to 'lift' the heads and stretch the studs. That's the theory anyway. I hope I am right.

Gurgen
You decided to put them on the list for some reason.

Thanks for your thoughts on the subject. Hope it goes well.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:56 PM
t32gzz

Gurgen, I see where you are going with this. I know that I did not see any signs of lift until after a few hundred miles. Do you think the ARP studs are just tearing through the head gasket causing the signs of lift? I know that a few of the guys over 600whp have seen signs of lift. Phunk even had headgasket failure.

Sharif and phunk - interested in your thoughts on this. Or if SGP has any thoughts?
Old 02-20-2006, 06:43 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by t32gzz
Gurgen, I see where you are going with this. I know that I did not see any signs of lift until after a few hundred miles. Do you think the ARP studs are just tearing through the head gasket causing the signs of lift? I know that a few of the guys over 600whp have seen signs of lift. Phunk even had headgasket failure.

Sharif and phunk - interested in your thoughts on this. Or if SGP has any thoughts?
The great thing about the forum, is we can all learn from one another. I recently learned that SGP with Darton sleeves and a 99mm+ bore size, with Cometic head gaskets, and standard sized ARP studs has had no issues with head gasket failure, at 800whp+. This is a good sign. You'll recall the discussion I posted about head lift, and we were unclear if the cause was the ARP studs, the stock headgaskets, or the stock cylinder walls.

It would appear, at least based on this recent example, that the stock head gasket and stock cylinder walls are the two likely culprits.