Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

TURBONECTICS KIT blows my vq@8psI

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Gman2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
You obviously had an improper tune.
Care to explain how the car ran fine until I entered a hotter climate?
Old 03-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman2004
Care to explain how the car ran fine until I entered a hotter climate?

what I am saying is, your tune was not adequate for your setup. You're tuner should have accounted for the difference in temps and tuned accordingly.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Gman2004

you didn't respond to this comment.

Drive your car from MN and it's 43 degree wheather into Miami's 90 degree wheather and see how your beloved Unichip handles your current tune.
Are telling me that if you drive your car and your beloved Unichip EMS into + or - 40 degree wheather from what it was tuned it won't effect it how rich or lean it runs?
Old 03-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Zivman

you didn't respond to this comment.

Are telling me that if you drive your car and your beloved Unichip EMS into + or - 40 degree wheather from what it was tuned it won't effect it how rich or lean it runs?
I am telling you, your tune should not be pushing the limits to the point a temp difference will pop your motor. I don't know exactly what happened with your setup, but the fact that it was tuned at a cooler temp would mean it was tuned with more dense air - potential leaner condition than when you took it back to FL.

I live in MN and have driven my car in sub freezing temps to 90-100+ degree temps with 90%+ humidity. So I have driven my car in similar conditions, actually more extreme temp changes, to those your are describing
Old 03-08-2006, 04:26 PM
Gman2004

I live in MN and have driven my car in sub freezing temps to 90-100+ degree temps with 90%+ humidity. So I have driven my car in similar conditions, actually more extreme temp changes, to those your are describing
You still didn't answer my question. I drive my car everyday and it's drives fine as long as I don't beat on it.

One more time.........What was the tempurature when you car was tuned? And when you drove it in + or - 40 degrees from that tempurature does it run leaner or richer?
Old 03-08-2006, 04:30 PM
JimRHIT

Jorge,

I don't think you understand what he is saying here.

His only point, while not an attack on you, was that SGP should have tuned your car for the climate it would be driven in, not for SGP's local weather. If they felt uncomfortable simulating a tune for you, they should have not tuned it there, rather they should have tuned it at your local shop (like they are now doing). in the end SGP is making this right, and your car will soon rock once again ... but Zivman is saying you got a bad tune for your car, which (when you look at the situation you are in) does make sense.

Jim
Old 03-08-2006, 04:35 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a thread about the failure of a Turbonetics equipped car, you both are WAY off topic. Stop your bickering and insults in this thread and take it to PM if you want to continue. Thank you.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Zivman

You still didn't answer my question. I drive my car everyday and it's drives fine as long as I don't beat on it.

One more time.........What was the tempurature when you car was tuned? And when you drove it in + or - 40 degrees from that tempurature does it run leaner or richer?
I have driven my car in 60+ degree temp swings on an out of box tune and 50 degree temp swings on my custom tune - this summer we will see near 90 degree temp swings from the cold temps my car saw. It was about 60-65 degrees in the shop during my latest tune and have driven the car in temps as low as 12 degrees. On the out of box tune, I had driven the car in 100+ degree temps and into the low 40s.

It is not my "beloved" unichip as you state. The unichip does it's job as long as you know it's limits. I may be upgrading to a utec or other ems that allows injector scaling, but I am more than happy with the feel and current power the car has.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by JimRHIT
Jorge,

I don't think you understand what he is saying here.

His only point, while not an attack on you, was that SGP should have tuned your car for the climate it would be driven in, not for SGP's local weather. If they felt uncomfortable simulating a tune for you, they should have not tuned it there, rather they should have tuned it at your local shop (like they are now doing). in the end SGP is making this right, and your car will soon rock once again ... but Zivman is saying you got a bad tune for your car, which (when you look at the situation you are in) does make sense.

Jim
Well Mark tried entering temp correction tables (I don't know where he did this in the EU) to account for temp changes, but it didn't take. It would be my luck that the day they tuned my car it happened to be one of the coldest days in a very long time. I had already flown into Houston so I had no other option, but driving my car home.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by kcobean
This is a thread about the failure of a Turbonetics equipped car, you both are WAY off topic. Stop your bickering and insults in this thread and take it to PM if you want to continue. Thank you.
Actually this is on topic. Zivman posted about how a tuned EMS is a better solution that a reflash and I posted that a tuned EMS did nothing in my case cause of the weather change.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Jokestrap

Wow, long read...
Old 03-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Beer Goggles

I think what Ziv is saying is that if you get your car tuned in cold dense air, driving to hot less dense air is better than the opposite. Cold air requires a richer mixture because of the density of the air. Hot air (although more unstable and can cause detonation, which is why we have ICs) requires a leaner tune.

If you're getting it tuned it's better not to tune it to the max on a dyno and plan for more real world loads and temps.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:56 PM
zman1910

Actually this is on topic. Zivman posted about how a tuned EMS is a better solution that a reflash and I posted that a tuned EMS did nothing in my case cause of the weather change.
Tuan tuned my car during 70 degree weather and I drove it back all the way into 100 degree FL heat. Never really had an issue with the tune. I agree that the tuner should've accounted for it initially.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:08 PM
BoOsTedz33TT

GMAN, just a question because ive been reading this thread, since you dont live by SGP why didnt you get a HKS vpro with a KNOCK amp? SGP are Vpro tuners, the car tunes itself to the AF its set at?
Old 03-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by BoOsTedz33TT
GMAN, just a question because ive been reading this thread, since you dont live by SGP why didnt you get a HKS vpro with a KNOCK amp? SGP are Vpro tuners, the car tunes itself to the AF its set at?
I was being cheap.

I have now arranged for SGP to come to Miami and install the V-Pro on 03/20.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:39 AM
turbo-maxima

Originally Posted by zman1910
Tuan tuned my car during 70 degree weather and I drove it back all the way into 100 degree FL heat. Never really had an issue with the tune. I agree that the tuner should've accounted for it initially.
did he pull any timing? Everybody *****es about the kit blowing up your engine, its bad tuning plain and simple. If you tuned in colder weather your car would run richer not leaner. I laugh at the $10,000's being spent by 350z owners.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:59 AM
theking

What are you talking about. The OP blew his engine, at 425whp the 380's are way maxed and his AF couldn't have been good. Yes he did pull timing because the reflash takes total timing down to 18 degrees or so. Jorge(Gman2004) got his newly built motor tuned at SGP. He had some misconceptions about widebands so he didn't have the target AF map in use on the EU. The EU is really easy to tune AF-wise now with this. He was running pig rich when he got back to Florida.

It should tell you something when 380's make this much power. It's either alot of timing(which the reflash won't let happen) or higher boost with leaner AF ratios.

PS-This guy is getting bent over with no lube paying these prices. Hope you become this guys new best friend because paying through the nose.
Originally Posted by turbo-maxima
did he pull any timing? Everybody *****es about the kit blowing up your engine, its bad tuning plain and simple. If you tuned in colder weather your car would run richer not leaner. I laugh at the $10,000's being spent by 350z owners.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:17 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by theking
What are you talking about. The OP blew his engine, at 425whp the 380's are way maxed and his AF couldn't have been good. Yes he did pull timing because the reflash takes total timing down to 18 degrees or so. Jorge(Gman2004) got his newly built motor tuned at SGP. He had some misconceptions about widebands so he didn't have the target AF map in use on the EU. The EU is really easy to tune AF-wise now with this. He was running pig rich when he got back to Florida.

It should tell you something when 380's make this much power. It's either alot of timing(which the reflash won't let happen) or higher boost with leaner AF ratios.

PS-This guy is getting bent over with no lube paying these prices. Hope you become this guys new best friend because paying through the nose.
Actually max advance possible with the flash is less then 18 degrees... but I completely agree with your assesment.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:19 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, im alittle confused with the temp and tuning.

So if i get a turbo kit installed in the summer months and get it tuned at say 80 degrees, im going to be in trouble when the winter months hit and it gets down to 20 degrees and visa versa??

Do i need 2 different maps to run? One for summer and one for winter??

Just me being dumb maybe, still trying to learn as much as i can before going FI

Thanks

Aceman
Old 03-09-2006, 07:24 AM
chimmike

most full standalones such as the HKS Fcon and the AEM use an intake temp sensor to adjust maps according to temperature.

things like the unichip still utilize factory intake temp sensor readings for map controls.

Quick Reply: TURBONECTICS KIT blows my vq@8psI