Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

TURBONECTICS KIT blows my vq@8psI

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 07:17 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes what happens is not just the colder air will cause lean but it will cause higher boost which usually will result int he car running in boost areas it was not tuned for and depending on how the piggyback is programmed outside the tuned areas it will cause you to run lean.

And if he was already at 11.99 he was on the edge.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:20 PM
theking

MAF is a better reference for fueling than MAP. Anyone want to argue???? Timing is another story but the TN reflash is very conservative for 8 psi. BSP you probably wouldn't have let a TN car leave your shop with a 11.99 AF. Especially with the timing not being reference to MAP as stated before. A reflash is only as good as the kit's installation.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:31 PM
NISMOFO

Originally Posted by Gman2004
I was being cheap.

I have now arranged for SGP to come to Miami and install the V-Pro on 03/20.
Oh, okay...so that's your car he's going to tune (or retune). I talked to Mark the other day.

My car was tuned in Scottsdale, AZ (not sure the temps but it was the middle of May I think?). The turbo was installed from the 1st owner by DynoComp.

I just had my car dynoed in mid-60 degree weather in Garland, TX (Jotech). The peak AFR was in the 13.3...obviously too lean. The dyno tune in AZ showed it to be no more than 11.4. Originally I thought this was an issue with the density of the air or elevation. But now I'm beginning to think that it could be the temperature diff causing the spike.

I plan to get the car retuned at SGP. Houston is just barely above sea level. Where I live, it's about 500 ft above sea level. Is this completely irrelevant and should I just be focusing on the temperature when the car is tuned? The car has an APS TT. I'm just wondering if getting the car tuned in Houston vs. Dallas is going to mean that "conditions" need to be taken into consideration?

If the outside temps are making such a drastic change in our AFR's (those of us w/Unichips), should we have winter or summer tunes since our cars can't self-adjust?

If I get my car tuned during the middle of the day...should I be afraid to go into boost at night if it's going to make the car even more lean?

It sounds like the piggy-back types do not adjust like a reflash would to keep a consistent AFR? Or maybe I'm wrong?

This is still fairly new to me...so all I'm doing is asking a ton of questions as this point.

As for the guy who blew his motor and originally posted, I'm not going to give him and grief because AT LEAST he posted this and made it public for all of us.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Gman2004

350Track I don't know what to tell you. I am having the same probablem as you, but I am running rich as I went from cold to hot. As you can see several APS TT owners have posted that they have gone from one extreme temp to another other and they didn't see a change in the a/f. I am glad you chimed in though.

All I can guess is that dynocomp did not give your car a proper tune. That's what everyone keeps saying about my car.

Last edited by Gman2004; 03-09-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:52 PM
NISMOFO

350Track I don't know what to tell you. I am having the same probablem as you, but I am running rich as I went from cold to hot. As you can see several APS TT owners have posted that they have gone from one extreme temp to another other and they didn't see a change in the a/f. I am glad you chimed in though.

All I can guess is that dynocomp did not give your car a proper tune. That's what everyone keeps saying about my car.
Thanks...took me awhile to type all that, but I wanted to put some info on my car out there.

My car went from the opposite temp difference than yours. Yours went from cold to hot (now rich) and mine went from hot to cold (now lean). Funny how that works out...we should just swap cars?

I think Dynocomp did a proper tune though...no disrespect there. The previous owner lived in Las Vegas, and the absolute max AFR was 11.4 as I stated earlier. The AFR was also extremely consistent as well (low 11's).

So we have yet another thing in common besides our temp diff's causing our AFR's to be off, Mark is supposed to be tuning both of our cars. You have an appointment on 3/20/2006 and I have an appointment on 3/25/2006 with him in Houston
Old 03-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by 350Track
I think Dynocomp did a proper tune though...no disrespect there. The previous owner lived in Las Vegas, and the absolute max AFR was 11.4 as I stated earlier. The AFR was also extremely consistent as well (low 11's).

So we have yet another thing in common besides our temp diff's causing our AFR's to be off, Mark is supposed to be tuning both of our cars. You have an appointment on 3/20/2006 and I have an appointment on 3/25/2006 with him in Houston

So you bought the white 350z APS TT?

I meant no disrepect to dynocomp. My a/f was consistant in the mid 11's until I made it into FL as well. I was just merely repeating what was posted about my tune. What's good for the goose is good for the gander right?

I don't understand how you take the car from Vegas into TX and run lean in the colder wheather, but all the other APS TT owners claim that they have driven their cars in temps that differed as much as 100 degrees from when their car was tuned and still did not experience any changes in their a/f.

Eitherway congrats on the car! Mark is a great tuner and you won't be dissappointed with the results.

Last edited by Gman2004; 03-09-2006 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:13 PM
NISMOFO

So you bought the white 350z APS TT?

I meant no disrepect to dynocomp. My a/f was consistant in the mid 11's until I made it into FL as well. I was just merely repeating what was posted about my tune. What's good for the goose is good for the gander right?

I don't understand how you take the car from Vegas into TX and run lean in the colder wheather, but all the other APS TT owners claim that they have driven their cars in temps that differed as much as 100 degree from when their car was tuned and still did not experience any changes in their a/f.

Eitherway congrats on the car! Mark is a great tuner and you won't be dissappointed with the results.
Yep, I bought the white 350Z TT from Vegas. It's my second 2003 350Z Track...so at least I didn't have to change my screen name...haha.

I've done a lot of little things to the car since I've had it, but it truly was the deal of a lifetime and I am still grateful for it.

What's really funny is that I called SGP before I even got the car. I asked if it would need a retune. They said it'd be fine. I got the car, and it (obviously) needs to be retuned as I speculated from the beginning.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:42 PM
APS-ST-450HP

POP GOES ANOTHER TURBONETICS ST

CLASSIC -- MORE FUN THAN A FOURTH OF JULY FIRE CRACKER SHOW
Old 03-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by APS-ST-450HP

How nice of you. Joined the forum just to make fun of someone blowing their motor did ya?

BTW, don't expect to make 450hp with the APS ST unless you are talking crank hp.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:02 PM
APS-ST-450HP

yea but my motor won't blow while hitting that power
Old 03-09-2006, 10:02 PM
calimarc

With the karma you are generating I would not be so sure....Let's keep the childish "my kit is better than your kit" b.s. out of this thread so as to learn something if we could.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:30 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Didn't you mother ever teach you not to be a douche bag during someone else's misfortune...

If Karma doesnt get ya, some you **** off in the future will.

You have contributed absolutely nothing to this forum you are completely useless... 2 posts and both negative and snide.

BAN!
Old 03-10-2006, 06:10 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Around here, you get one warning and this is it. If you troll, you WILL get banned. Do NOT post something like this again.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:24 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by theking
MAF is a better reference for fueling than MAP. Anyone want to argue???? Timing is another story but the TN reflash is very conservative for 8 psi. BSP you probably wouldn't have let a TN car leave your shop with a 11.99 AF. Especially with the timing not being reference to MAP as stated before. A reflash is only as good as the kit's installation.
Wow... I think you summed it up very well.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:42 AM
nissansource

Originally Posted by kcobean
Around here, you get one warning and this is it. If you troll, you WILL get banned. Do NOT post something like this again.

hahaha
Old 03-10-2006, 06:43 AM
nissansource

wow
Old 03-10-2006, 06:55 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

that's interesting.. havent' seen anybody go with different brand of cams for intake and exhaust. Kinda sounds like you might have some mods in there to bump up the rev limit