Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Thought I blew my motor today, YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE WHAT THE CULPRET WAS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 06:14 PM
craigo'sznprgrs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Thought I blew my motor today, YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE WHAT THE CULPRET WAS!

First off if the thread wasn't disturbing enough , the solution was much less expensive than a motor.

I went to shoot the bull with my mechanic, who incidently is taking over the shop this weekend, and I was telling him of my plans to go with a longblock and see what this 60-1 is trully capable of, so after an hour or so of talking about the new plan for the shop and his soon to be upgraded gt42rs dual ball bearing beast of an eclipse, I decided to take my GF for a ride. About 2 minutes from the shop after a quick boost in 2nd, I swear I heard metal, loud metallic noises from under the hood, I was certain I threw a rod or something equally as catastrophic. I did a quick glance at all of my gauges, and everything was perfect, a/f's check, oil pressure check, temp check, egt's, vacuum, and idle were perfect, but there was still a terrible clanging, so I call my mechanic and he came within 2 minutes. By the time he got there my engine was turned off, and I had to be getting close to a complete break-down.

After we got it back to the shop and drove the car a couple of times, the noise was completely gone, except for a faint clanging noise. The got the car on a lift and to beat all and save me from completely losing my mind, the wastegate's bolt had dislodged and the wastegate was clanging against the pipe, whew, disaster averted.

Sorry for the long thread, but could this had attributed to the cutting off issues I was having, coupled with the small injectors, climate, and so on and so on????
Old 03-29-2006, 06:35 PM
ht4

Was it just me, or did any of you catch yourselves holding your breath waiting to see what it was -- seriously! I was.

Anyway, glad you dodged the bullet and happy boosting.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow-glad it was an easy fix-hope you dont hire that same mechanic for your longblock install who did your TN kit, it may fall apart if he uses the same TQ specs....
Old 04-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by Alberto
Wow-glad it was an easy fix-hope you dont hire that same mechanic for your longblock install who did your TN kit, it may fall apart if he uses the same TQ specs....
Oh yeah, it always gets me when a mechanic doesn't go back over everything and makes sure things are tighten down to spec.

Lucky one Craig, esp with you not going WOT.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:49 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by craigo'sznprgrs
The got the car on a lift and to beat all and save me from completely losing my mind, the wastegate's bolt had dislodged and the wastegate was clanging against the pipe, whew, disaster averted
lucky you. this was one of the contributing factor of me frying 3 pistons on my built motor......and yes it was install related!
Old 04-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Three5oZee

damn dude...im sitting here like oh crap.... im glad to hear it was just an untighted bolt coming off.... man your mechanic needs to hook you up with sum serious a$$ kissing on that one!
Old 04-02-2006, 04:49 PM
craigo'sznprgrs

He is a cool guy, but I am not sure it was all his fault, I had went to have my belts changed at a local nissan dealership and they were under my hood for a while, not sure on who to blame it, i am just glad it didn't cause any real damage, whewww!!!!
Old 04-02-2006, 05:00 PM
ChuckGZ

Originally Posted by ht4
Was it just me, or did any of you catch yourselves holding your breath waiting to see what it was -- seriously! I was.

Anyway, glad you dodged the bullet and happy boosting.
Ditto