Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Just Blew My Stock Motor With APS TT!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 02:29 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there should be a distinction between a kit blowing an engine and just general FI causing an engine to fail. Some kits out of the box have failed engines, this one went for a while and had mods and retunes so it then falls into general FI failures.

Second not all engines will be the same, there are manufacturing tolerances and also manufacturing defects possible where one engine will fail and another one wont given same kits and mods. Some even have blown in NA form as mentioned before.

Third a failure usually cannot be determined by the conditions at the time of the failure, a piston failure definetly happens over time and a rod more than likely as well, it will take the beating until it just says enough and fails. For a rod to fail instantaneously it would have to be such a force that it is hard to believe it would happen while running the car.

Only way to be sure is to build the engine with forged internals which are made for that. I just hit 40k miles total on stock block with 20k on FI and still running.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:36 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

59.8K total miles, 20K TT miles, (1 year old), np, knock on wood. I feel your pain, hope in the end it works out for you. Best of luck on the rebuild.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:22 PM
mario23

Originally Posted by maximumsportZ
Damn that sucks, Kinda has me worried I have just a little over 4K on my APS TT its my daily and I beat the living **** out of it...

Good luck on the build.

Man 4K already???
Nice...
Old 04-16-2006, 03:28 PM
maximumsportZ

Originally Posted by mario23
Man 4K already???
Nice...
I guess taking long ways home doesn't help either..
Old 04-16-2006, 03:34 PM
mario23

I'm just jealous...
Old 04-16-2006, 03:59 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by westpak
I think there should be a distinction between a kit blowing an engine and just general FI causing an engine to fail. Some kits out of the box have failed engines, this one went for a while and had mods and retunes so it then falls into general FI failures.

Second not all engines will be the same, there are manufacturing tolerances and also manufacturing defects possible where one engine will fail and another one wont given same kits and mods. Some even have blown in NA form as mentioned before.

Third a failure usually cannot be determined by the conditions at the time of the failure, a piston failure definetly happens over time and a rod more than likely as well, it will take the beating until it just says enough and fails. For a rod to fail instantaneously it would have to be such a force that it is hard to believe it would happen while running the car.

Only way to be sure is to build the engine with forged internals which are made for that. I just hit 40k miles total on stock block with 20k on FI and still running.
Great post
Old 04-16-2006, 04:02 PM
username

Default Not to hijack this thread but...

Sorry to hear your loss. Did I hear that you are considering using GRD? I just dropped my car off with them and they are extremely helpful and kind. I'm sure that they will help out a lot.

For those that used GRD, did you have your car dyno'd at their shop before you had the FI installed? If so can you PM with your results? Thanks.

End of Hi-Jack...
Old 04-16-2006, 04:20 PM
BrianLG35C

Obviously, I'm not pointing any fingers at the kit, the installer or the shop that did my last oil change. It could be as simple as I didn't monitor my fluid levels close enough or my internals were some of the weak ones. This is my first FI car so who knows.

One thing I've noticed and I hope this is genuinely understood, I really appreciate and I'm amazed at all the sympathy and encouragement from you Z and my fellow G owners. This might sound silly but it really helps knowing you guys understand and want to help. Thanks again guys! Man, what a great forum.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:25 PM
G352NV

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
Obviously, I'm not pointing any fingers at the kit, the installer or the shop that did my last oil change. It could be as simple as I didn't monitor my fluid levels close enough or my internals were some of the weak ones. This is my first FI car so who knows.

One thing I've noticed and I hope this is genuinely understood, I really appreciate and I'm amazed at all the sympathy and encouragement from you Z and my fellow G owners. This might sound silly but it really helps knowing you guys understand and want to help. Thanks again guys! Man, what a great forum.
Werd. I love this place. I find myself on this site more and more and less on the G site.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:36 PM
taurran

This just doesn't make much sense to me. There's always a reason why an engine fails, regardless of weather it stems from the tuner, the kit, the owner, or the engine itself...
Old 04-16-2006, 04:50 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by taurran
This just doesn't make much sense to me. There's always a reason why an engine fails, regardless of weather it stems from the tuner, the kit, the owner, or the engine itself...
Well when people blame a kit it should be because the failure was due to the kit whether from a bad design like bad wastegate location, not proper engine management ring a bell??? In other words nothing is done and engines blow.

While others blow after mods and tuning and at that point it will be from bad tuning or attaining power level above the capacity of the engine.

BTW it is whether not weather.

Last edited by westpak; 04-16-2006 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:59 PM
rkd350z

sorry to hear this..
Old 04-16-2006, 05:01 PM
roncfpz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian, sorry to hear about the engine failure. It must def. suck since your car is down and now the wait begins, but hopefully the disappointment will turn to excitement as you plan for the built motor. Reading this kinda stuff is making me speed up my engine plans for sure. I hate down time.

Good luck!
Ron
Old 04-16-2006, 05:32 PM
taurran

Well when people blame a kit it should be because the failure was due to the kit whether from a bad design like bad wastegate location, not proper engine management ring a bell??? In other words nothing is done and engines blow.

While others blow after mods and tuning and at that point it will be from bad tuning or attaining power level above the capacity of the engine.

BTW it is whether not weather.
Don't you wish it were always as clean cut as that? I can think of a kit that has blown a few dozen (if not hundred) more motors than the rest of the group combined, but has not been altered to compensate...

I didn't respond to that to start a tit vs tat debate, only to point out that your over-generalized response is just that.

By the way, your first "sentence" is a run-on and you misspelled "definitely" in your first post.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:37 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by taurran
........ I can think of a kit that has blown a few dozen (if not hundred) more motors than the rest of the group combined, but has not been altered to compensate...
Which one??? If you are reffering to the Greddy they are most likely bad installs and not being careful with wastgate hoses and overboosting, nothing to alter other than stupidity.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:45 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which one??? If you are reffering to the Greddy they are most likely bad installs and not being careful with wastgate hoses and overboosting, nothing to alter other than stupidity.
I believe that the entire issue with blown engines is that people develope a belief that any FI kit is a complete solution. I do not blame the consumer for this, I blame the competition in the market causing manufacturers and retailers to be left with no choice but to bend the truth and advertise a level of safety that just CAN NOT be had in the budget they are selling you these systems for.

Between the different FI systems for the 350z that I have experience with, they all leave TONS of room for improvement.

Maybe its because I am submerged in this industry on a daily basis, but with these types of FI kits, the only thing they are worth to me is a set of manifolds, turbos, and pipes. The rest of the kits are essentially garbage IMHO.

But even being a business with full fabrication capabilities and experience designing/building higher end FI systems from scratch, you have to weigh out the time vs. money. This is a car that is hardly worth most shops taking the time to build a custom system for targets of less then 800rwhp.

The risk is not associated with what kit you decide on, the risk is associated with the consumers understanding of the supporting modifications that are needed, and the selected tuners experience and understanding of what the vehicle needs and also their salesmenship abilities to convince the customer to put the money where it counts.

It doesnt help the situation that we have handfuls of nutswingers that you cannot avoid. All they do is post and post about how what they have is the best and how their tuner is the best, when the reality remains that they have no idea what they are talking about and they are trying to make comparisons when they have no experience with what they are comparing. A car that drives "perfect" and runs "flawless" to most guys, is a complete POS to me.

Last edited by phunk; 04-16-2006 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:10 PM
taurran

Yeah, that's where I was getting at with saying it wasn't as simple as you led on to be. There are so many factors involved that it's sometimes hard to place blame on one particular component in the setup (including the human factor).
Old 04-16-2006, 06:13 PM
tig488

Originally Posted by phunk
A car that drives "perfect" and runs "flawless" to most guys, is a complete POS to me.
then you would love my car!!
Old 04-16-2006, 06:17 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phunk
A car that drives "perfect" and runs "flawless" to most guys, is a complete POS to me.
Damn.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:34 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by failsafe306
Damn.
haha i dont mean to sound as if i think my own **** doesnt stink! i have built tons and tons of cars with compromises based on budgets and preference... sometimes there is only so much a shop can do if the customer doesnt want to spend 100 grand to build a street legal JGTC car ... hell, my car is currently in POS status

Quick Reply: Just Blew My Stock Motor With APS TT!!