Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Just Blew My Stock Motor With APS TT!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 07:37 PM
CESAROTORRES

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brian, sorry to hear

Good Luck,

Cesar
Old 04-16-2006, 07:46 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Brian,

Sorry to hear about your motor! Let us know if we can help, we are finishing up a customers motor early this week, and we have two blocks, two balanced cranks, two sets of rebuilt heads, and two sets of bearings sitting in line..these motors will be assembled ASAP...one of them is spoken for, the other is still up for grabs, let me know if we can help, as we understand that time is of the essence!

-TODD
Old 04-16-2006, 07:55 PM
zman1910

Brian - Just do the bottom end (rods and pistons) and run the same as you were before. Thats a lot of power and it should be plenty reliable. You could even max out the APS kit if you wanted to go higher later on down the road. I don't know what I would do with anything more than 450hp....
Old 04-16-2006, 10:24 PM
sja177
Banned

Originally Posted by zman1910
Brian - Just do the bottom end (rods and pistons) and run the same as you were before. Thats a lot of power and it should be plenty reliable. You could even max out the APS kit if you wanted to go higher later on down the road. I don't know what I would do with anything more than 450hp....
Agreed
Old 04-16-2006, 11:53 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Brian: Find out what went wrong first. Then plan accordingly. Cart behind horse, of course.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:57 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian - Just do the bottom end (rods and pistons) and run the same as you were before. Thats a lot of power and it should be plenty reliable. You could even max out the APS kit if you wanted to go higher later on down the road.
I disagree. If you are already going to stuff a new motor in there, then spend the extra bucks and get the full longblock. More power with less boost and you won't have to take the heads back off later (lots more $$ in the long run) if you want to make some big power.

I don't know what I would do with anything more than 450hp....
I've had my turbo kit less than a year and my car already feels slow. 450whp sounds great until you actually drive it for a while...and then you want more.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:49 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
I disagree. If you are already going to stuff a new motor in there, then spend the extra bucks and get the full longblock. More power with less boost and you won't have to take the heads back off later (lots more $$ in the long run) if you want to make some big power.

I've had my turbo kit less than a year and my car already feels slow. 450whp sounds great until you actually drive it for a while...and then you want more.

Exactly! How many people that said they would be happy with 400-450whp are now building or have built there motor?. Chit look at how many ST guys are buying more mods and/or EMS to get more power. Most of them supposedly bought the kit to save money cause they didn't need the potential of a TT. You say you will be happy with XXX whp, but your car will start to feel slow after a while. with my 5.5psi setting I have to ask myself if I am even boosting.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:54 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Agreed on both accounts...the 600whpo mark is the sweet spot for putting a smile on my face everytime I mash on the gas

But, the thought process behind building a motor should be longevity...One should say, how can I make the power that I want to make with the least amount of stress on the engine? In order to improve the efficiency of the motor, other components come into play...cams, headwork, oversized valves, rebuilt turbos...Is it ALL necessary, no...but wouldn't you rather make 600hp on 12psi vs 18 psi if you could?!

I originally ONLY build my bottom end..and ran a ton of power through that motor..I'll be tearing that motor apart today..pulled the motor because of turbo damage and to investigate cylinder head lift...will keep u all posted

-TODD
Old 04-17-2006, 07:26 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
Agreed on both accounts...the 600whpo mark is the sweet spot for putting a smile on my face everytime I mash on the gas

Is it ALL necessary, no...but wouldn't you rather make 600hp on 12psi vs 18 psi if you could?!
Are you going to upgrade to the 20G's? Your post gave me a bright idea. If I wanted to make 600whp and not experience headlift I could just have the turbos rebuilt. It would be cheaper than having to pull the motor no?
Old 04-17-2006, 07:28 AM
BrianLG35C

I've all kinds of thoughts going through my head with this whole thing. I'm even dreaming about my options.

I'm even kicking around the idea of even selling it as is. I can hear the vultures circling now but what could I realistically get for it? Should I cut my losses and get out this game? I could easily spend $10K with engine build and other upgraded parts just to get the car back and running well enough to enjoy it or do I get out now. Take a loss but wait a few years for the new GTR, 450hp/AWD with a full warranty. Or maybe get a GTO, add a body kit, wheels and few other NA mods giving 450hp plus for way less than $50K.

Man, I'm really confused.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:34 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
I'm even kicking around the idea of even selling it as is. I can hear the vultures circling now but what could I realistically get for it? Should I cut my losses and get out this game? I could easily spend $10K with engine build and other upgraded parts just to get the car back and running well enough to enjoy it or do I get out now. Take a loss but wait a few years for the new GTR, 450hp/AWD with a full warranty. Or maybe get a GTO, add a body kit, wheels and few other NA mods giving 450hp plus for way less than $50K.
Not worth selling IMO. I was trying to sell my car with a brand new motor and I had a hard time. I had a few people interested, but the majority seemed like a bunch of dreamers and they were riduclously low balling.

I say spend the $10K. Once you drive the car again the money won't matter.

As far as the GT-R. That car won't be sold until 2008 and I woudn't get the first year production. I am thinking about the GT-R (the edges need to be smooted out a bit or it's no go for me), but I would get it until 2009.

As far as a GTO......NO MAN WAY! Friends don't let friends buy a GTO. That thing look like a Grand AM on steriods.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:52 AM
roncfpz

Brian, I would agree with Jorge....probably not worth selling. The built motor will probably cost more than you think with parts, labor, and the "well if I'm gonna spend X than I might as well get Y what's another few $$" stuff. The GTR is quite a ways off; Nissan seriously needs to upgrade their tech depts to handle a $70k+ twin turbo supercar. GTO.....I believe they stopped production and are in the design stage for a retro look model in the future.

The state of confusion is normal, but I feel for ya though. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2006, 08:17 AM
BrianLG35C

Ok, I hear you guys and you're both probably right. I'm still rattled and I'm not sure really, how much damage I've done. There's nowhere locally I feel comfortable to take it for the tear-down and once I have it flat-bedded out to the shop, which will be hundreds of miles away (whichever one I choose), I'm vulnerable to being taken advantage of by them. I don't have the time to watch every step, check on their progress or to make sure every part "the shop" says is required, is really required.

Jorge, did you send your car to SGP or just have your engine shipped on a pallet? Who dropped your engine and reinstalled it? I just need to understand the logistics of what's required for a build.

Excuse my ignorance.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:21 AM
Gman2004

Brain your not being ignorant. I went through the same thing. I learned as I went.

When I blew the stock motor I shipped just the motor to SGP and had a shop in Miami do the work. When that built motor blew I shipped the entire car to SGP. I wished I would have done that from the beggining. I wouldn't be on motor #3 and I would have at least $15K more in my bank or account or that much more in mods in my car. Shipping cost me around $650 and I drove the car back.

How much are you willing to spend. I can make recommendations based on that. Also do you have another daily driver?

Last edited by Gman2004; 04-17-2006 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:06 AM
BrianLG35C

Originally Posted by Gman2004
excuse all the typos. I am off to get my daugther baptised and my wife is yelling at me to get off the computer so we can leave.
I just noticed this, reading through all the posts again. LOL, your life sounds so much like mine.

Brain your not being ignorant. I went through the same thing. I learned as I went.

When I blew the stock motor I shipped just the motor to SGP and had a shop in Miami do the work. When that built motor blew I shipped the entire car to SGP. I wished I would have done that from the beggining. I wouldn't be on motor #3 and I would have at least $15K more in my bank or account or that much more in mods in my car. Shipping cost me around $650 and I drove the car back.

How much are you willing to spend. I can make recommendations based on that. Also do you have another daily driver?
Yes, I have a very reliable daily driver. I'm very tempted to take a step back, get breath and slowly consider all my options. I'm actually considering just waiting until the fall/winter to start the build and having it ready for next spring. I really don't know yet how much I'm willing to spend. I need to learn more of what's worth the extra expense or not. I know you said I wouldn't be happy with a certain number of hp but 442whp felt great and I had no traction. I think I'd rather get a conservative 500-525whp and put some money into much wider wheels and tires which may or may not require custom wide body fenders.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:54 AM
G352NV

You can get a stock longblock for 2k. Have you even done any work on cars? Pulling the motor in this car isnt hard at all.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:12 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by G352NV
You can get a stock longblock for 2k. Have you even done any work on cars? Pulling the motor in this car isnt hard at all.

I've done motor swaps before, but not on a 350Z. Do you guys pull it out the top or just drop down the whole front subframe with the motor on it and lift the car up with the motor on the ground?
Old 04-17-2006, 10:27 AM
beastie

Exactly! How many people that said they would be happy with 400-450whp are now building or have built there motor?. Chit look at how many ST guys are buying more mods and/or EMS to get more power. Most of them supposedly bought the kit to save money cause they didn't need the potential of a TT. You say you will be happy with XXX whp, but your car will start to feel slow after a while. with my 5.5psi setting I have to ask myself if I am even boosting.
Perfect example! I am one of those people who bought a ST and now am having my motor rebuilt, my turbo and everything else in order to produce reliable power in the ~500whp range. I know it's a lot of $$ but don't skimp on the rebuild.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:27 AM
zman1910

He clearly stated that he doesn't have the need for more power than what he had. And even if he did, the built bottom end could still handle it. I had ~400 whp and put 10k miles on it and I was still very satisfied at the end. In fact I even wanted to move down a few hp. If you want to build a super monster... a built long block will still not be enough and will require other, expensive, supporting mods as well. It honestly doesn't seem like that is his goal. Keep your goals separate from his...
Old 04-17-2006, 10:33 AM
G352NV

I've done motor swaps before, but not on a 350Z. Do you guys pull it out the top or just drop down the whole front subframe with the motor on it and lift the car up with the motor on the ground?
You can do it both ways. I was really shocked at how easy it was to pull out from the top.

Quick Reply: Just Blew My Stock Motor With APS TT!!