Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Forced Induction on a Automatic 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 04:14 PM
dscheers

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roneski
Has anyone tried an actual road course with one? I'd think that the last thing you want to do is chirp (momentarily loose traction with) the rears when accelerating out of a sweeping turn.
According to a post in the thread about the SGP VB, standard VB shifts in .49sec ad the SGP one shifts in .25 sec.

Theoretically, that should improve 1/4 mile time by 1/4 sec per shift. So 3 shifts would equal .75 sec... n theory...
Old 05-01-2006, 05:58 PM
roneski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's very interesting, and I'd love to see someone pick up .72 seconds in the quartermile because of it. But what's that got to do with driving a road course?
Old 05-01-2006, 10:14 PM
dscheers

Originally Posted by roneski
That's very interesting, and I'd love to see someone pick up .72 seconds in the quartermile because of it. But what's that got to do with driving a road course?
Nothing at all... quoted the wrong post, sorry.

The right one to quote is:

hey booger did you pick up anytime in the 1/4 with the v/b upgrade.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:29 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No..I havent been back to the track since I broke the motor and was at 350whp . The 1/4 mile track closed and all we have left is a 1/8th mile , and thats no fun
Old 05-06-2006, 04:30 AM
alshawi

so i guess the forged internals upgrade is better than the SGP right?
Old 05-06-2006, 11:19 AM
dscheers

Originally Posted by alshawi
so i guess the forged internals upgrade is better than the SGP right?
FI is pretty adamant about it, stating that both upgrades should be more or less the same...

Danny
Old 05-07-2006, 02:57 AM
alshawi

But if the car chirps in 2nd and 3rd it means im loosing power and speed
Old 05-07-2006, 03:32 AM
Immortal

Originally Posted by alshawi
But if the car chirps in 2nd and 3rd it means im loosing power and speed
Dude you will jsut have to learn how to control the throttle
Old 05-08-2006, 11:13 AM
johnchae

how much are you usually looking at for the installation of a SC or TT on a 5AT? any good places you guys recommend to buy the SC or TT also?
Old 05-08-2006, 12:21 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnchae
how much are you usually looking at for the installation of a SC or TT on a 5AT? any good places you guys recommend to buy the SC or TT also?
dude search for that answer.you guys in calli have umpteen places to go for fi work.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:36 PM
roneski

VRT did my JWT install in San Diego and I'm real happy with it. PM WA2GOOD for a quote.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

If you want to drive your car to the east coast, we charge $1500 for SC install, and $2300-$2600 for TT install....depending on the kit.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:06 AM
abyss

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
If you want to drive your car to the east coast, we charge $1500 for SC install, and $2300-$2600 for TT install....depending on the kit.
That day is coming soon.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:12 PM
nate_johnson17

Sharif, I PM'd you.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Oleg

I was on the phone with Performance Motorsports from NY today, and basically this is what I got out of the conversation with them.
According to them there is NOTHING one can do to the 5AT tranny to make it work good. The only option is have a Chevy Powerglide 4-speed or 3-speed swap. Other then that, they will not even touch the tranny (no VB pulling, nothing). I am confused. This thread has most attention from the 5AT crowd. How much power are you guys running and what are you satisfaction levels?
Old 05-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dscheers
According to a post in the thread about the SGP VB, standard VB shifts in .49sec ad the SGP one shifts in .25 sec.

Theoretically, that should improve 1/4 mile time by 1/4 sec per shift. So 3 shifts would equal .75 sec... n theory...
That can't be right - I assume that the car continues to roll during the 1/4 second of each shift - you're assuming the car is at a complete stop.

The extra 0.75 seconds worth of horse power applied is what would need to be calculated .... in theory
Old 05-09-2006, 03:18 PM
rookie

Originally Posted by Oleg

I was on the phone with Performance Motorsports from NY today, and basically this is what I got out of the conversation with them.
According to them there is NOTHING one can do to the 5AT tranny to make it work good. The only option is have a Chevy Powerglide 4-speed or 3-speed swap. Other then that, they will not even touch the tranny (no VB pulling, nothing). I am confused. This thread has most attention from the 5AT crowd. How much power are you guys running and what are you satisfaction levels?
Your info from them sounds very weird.

Their website advertises updated pro torque torque converters. http://www.theexperience.com/drivetrain.htm

They may not offer a VB but the TC upgrade should help a 5AT. Unless they are selling something they don't even think is worth it, or they don't sell it anymore. Who knows, edge racing converters and level 10 are other options for TC upgrades.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:04 PM
dscheers

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
That can't be right - I assume that the car continues to roll during the 1/4 second of each shift - you're assuming the car is at a complete stop.

The extra 0.75 seconds worth of horse power applied is what would need to be calculated .... in theory
Oops yes of course - guess I was "wishfull thinking"
Old 05-09-2006, 04:10 PM
dscheers

I had my VB done by Stillen and although the majority thinks it's not much of an upgrade I definitely felt the difference and my 1/4 mile times improved. Now going with the FI-ones (Shariff any update?). I also have the Pro-Torque TC and it feels ike a great improvement. Maye they don't know how to improve the 5At, but FI, SGP, Pro-Torque and others sure do !

Danny
Old 05-10-2006, 06:46 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Oleg, Peformance Motorsports can say whatever they want. There are PLENTY of the things you can do to the stock tranny to improve performance. Claiming that swapping to a Glide is the only option is completely untrue.

The fact is, for the 350-500whp crowd (the vast majority of people), a VB upgrade is all thats needed for street and occasional track usage.

Quick Reply: Forced Induction on a Automatic 350Z