Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Forced Induction on a Automatic 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 07:13 AM
roneski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only one that thinks the stock tranny works pretty good already? I'm just trying to make good better.

If we're talking about making power beyond 500whp that may be a different story.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:09 AM
Oleg

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Oleg, Peformance Motorsports can say whatever they want. There are PLENTY of the things you can do to the stock tranny to improve performance. Claiming that swapping to a Glide is the only option is completely untrue.

The fact is, for the 350-500whp crowd (the vast majority of people), a VB upgrade is all thats needed for street and occasional track usage.
Well they are "an ultimate authority on the VQ gained through drag racing experience which they use to bring highest performance imaginable to a street driver... If anyone doubts it... Step up... (I am quoting someone from the forums)... "
Old 05-10-2006, 08:21 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oleg
Well they are "an ultimate authority on the VQ gained through drag racing experience which they use to bring highest performance imaginable to a street driver... If anyone doubts it... Step up... (I am quoting someone from the forums)... "
I am not doubting it. I have spoken with the guys at PM extensively, and at at SEMA. They have loads of drag racing experience. Maybe you spoke to someone on the phone that wasnt as familiar with street driven applications.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Oleg

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
I am not doubting it. I have spoken with the guys at PM extensively, and at at SEMA. They have loads of drag racing experience. Maybe you spoke to someone on the phone that wasnt as familiar with street driven applications.
Maybe... I don't want to get into an argument, but let's just say some conversations I've had on the phone with them were not exactly conducive to being fully comfortable...
For example, when I called them as someone recommended, the first question I was asked was: "what do you do for living"? What's the **** is their buisness? (not that I have anything to be ashamed of in that department).
But their prices are fair and the work seems to be good. I just don't see how someone with such experience and ability would refuse to do something as simple as a VB swap... Or a TN tuner kit with a UTEC, bigger injectors and a fuel return for that matter ("cutting and pasting" in PM's jargon) And that brings me back to my original concern. That was the conversation in which I was told that 5AT's are way too much liability and they never work right under boost (I wonder how many 5AT cars have they boosted to form such an opinion...).
I don't doubt them on the track, just for the record...

Last edited by Oleg; 05-10-2006 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Oleg

Anyway, back to FI on 5AT topic...
Old 05-10-2006, 06:58 PM
fonsim0

Well I have the TC and the VB upgraded with SGP and I have like 430 whp with a Greddy twin turbo and my tranny are broke right know the clutches don't resist the torque or the power. I think that if anyone do the racing clutches for the 5AT we resolve our problems at all.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by fonsim0
Well I have the TC and the VB upgraded with SGP and I have like 430 whp with a Greddy twin turbo and my tranny are broke right know the clutches don't resist the torque or the power. I think that if anyone do the racing clutches for the 5AT we resolve our problems at all.

Sorry to hear that.
How many miles did it take to do your tranny in?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:29 PM
roneski

Originally Posted by fonsim0
And do you know what exactly broke in the tranny? Was it the clutch packs for sure or was it a planetary gear maybe?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:47 PM
rookie

I'm pretty sure Level10 does a full tranny build with upgraded clutchpacks and stuff. Some people don't like their customer service, I think they need to work on that department as well.

Someone over at g35driver said they had their 5AT built by Speed Force Racing. Not sure on the specifics. He was told it could take like 600+hp or something.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:55 PM
dscheers

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rookie
I'm pretty sure Level10 does a full tranny build with upgraded clutchpacks and stuff. Some people don't like their customer service, I think they need to work on that department as well.

Someone over at g35driver said they had their 5AT built by Speed Force Racing. Not sure on the specifics. He was told it could take like 600+hp or something.
Someone said there was a story about Level10 doing clutchpacks and not changing anything .... anyone else heared that ?

Danny
Old 05-10-2006, 09:17 PM
rookie

I heard the same story, but someone should give them a call and see if there they offer anything. If we listen and stick to every story passed along nothing will ever happen. Here's the g35 thread. http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88958