Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Electric Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Yancy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Water Pump

I've done some searching around, but cannot find an after market electric water pump for the VQ. I'm thinking that this wouldn't be a bad idea for us guys with FI with high hp as a goal. Should help to manage heat better than a stock pump, correct? Anyone know if there are any companies making electric water pumps for the Z?
Old 04-19-2006, 11:28 AM
theking

Normally electric water pumps aren't car specific. You'll have to have some fabricating done to fit one.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.daviescraig.com.au/main/display.asp?pid=45
They make really good electric pumps. They actually have a universal fit, that mounts directly to your lower radiator hose, and does not require the removal of your factory pump.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:10 PM
chimmike

I'd just get a meizere and fab it to fit personally....if i were to go to that trouble.

Does the VQ pump have a tendency to cavitate? I know on the fwd SR20's it LOVED to cavitate.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:09 AM
Yancy

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
http://www.daviescraig.com.au/main/display.asp?pid=45
They make really good electric pumps. They actually have a universal fit, that mounts directly to your lower radiator hose, and does not require the removal of your factory pump.
Awesome! Thanks Sharif. I'm having the guys at the shop check on availability for this to include in my built. I can't see where ading this would be a negative because it appears to allow the stock water pump to work and this additional pump just kicks in or boosts the capacity of the pump to flow better and keep the engine way cooler.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:19 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Yancy
Awesome! Thanks Sharif. I'm having the guys at the shop check on availability for this to include in my built. I can't see where ading this would be a negative because it appears to allow the stock water pump to work and this additional pump just kicks in or boosts the capacity of the pump to flow better and keep the engine way cooler.
Exactly, and the pump has a temp sensor, so it will not activate until the thermostat opens, or whatever temp you would like. I would probably set mine to start pumping it about 190 degrees.

I am going to order a few of them for testing. I dont want to formally start recommending them, until I know they work properly. I am skeptical by nature...but it does look promising.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:03 AM
overZealous1

adding that pump is the only way to go as you would not be able to ditch the stock pump cause it is driven off the timing chain and under the front cover.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:13 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by overZealous1
adding that pump is the only way to go as you would not be able to ditch the stock pump cause it is driven off the timing chain and under the front cover.
Its an elegant approach, based on what i have read. There is another option, of running an electric pump, and clipping the impellers, effectively disabling the stock pump. However, this would require the removal of the front timing cover, which is several hours of labor.

I'll give the pump a try, and see how it performs.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:20 AM
booger

Sharif...did you call them and get a price on that pump ?
Old 04-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Yancy

Its an elegant approach, based on what i have read. There is another option, of running an electric pump, and clipping the impellers, effectively disabling the stock pump. However, this would require the removal of the front timing cover, which is several hours of labor.

I'll give the pump a try, and see how it performs.
I purchased one of these electric water pumps today from Hoerr Racing in Illiniois. The guy I talked to there spoke very highly of the pump and its capabilities. They have them in stock and are shipping mine out today. I should have it Sat or Monday and will pass along any other information as soon as my build is done and the car is running and tuned for boost.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Yancy
I purchased one of these electric water pumps today from Hoerr Racing in Illiniois. The guy I talked to there spoke very highly of the pump and its capabilities. They have them in stock and are shipping mine out today. I should have it Sat or Monday and will pass along any other information as soon as my build is done and the car is running and tuned for boost.
Did you get the 110l/hr pump? I hope so. Also, they didnt have the thermostatic controller in stock for the 110. The pump cannot be used with thermo control, or else it will always be running up....even when your thermostat is close.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Yancy

Originally Posted by booger
Sharif...did you call them and get a price on that pump ?
I believe the 80ltr pump should be around $260 or so, give or take. http://secure3.spiderscope.co.uk/vs/...waterpumps.asp
Old 04-20-2006, 11:34 AM
booger

I used to use a dual digital boost and fuel preasure gauge from SPA
Old 04-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Yancy

Did you get the 110l/hr pump? I hope so. Also, they didnt have the thermostatic controller in stock for the 110. The pump cannot be used with thermo control, or else it will always be running up....even when your thermostat is close.
Nope, I got the 80l/hr pump because they told me that they do not even have a thermostatic controller in production yet for the 110. Apparently, they are still working on the controller for the 110 and expect it out sometime soon, but right now they have the 80 with the controller so I got that one. Who knows when the controller for the 110 will be available, so I decided to go with the 80 Total for both EWP and controller was around $420.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:12 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Let us know how the 80l/hr works out. I was thinking the higher flow pump would be better at offsetting the resistance created by the factory water pump, but since that thermo controller is still a few weeks out, the smaller pump might be a good option.