Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

BLUE smoke.. OIL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 07:43 PM
BKMC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BLUE smoke.. OIL?

Hey guys, need some help.

Got the PE TT kit put on, and its smoking pretty bad. I was told that its oil, because of the blue'ish color of the smoke. There is no blow by in the intake and i was told to check the oil return lines from the turbo? When i saw it getting installed, i got a chance to look at the lines, they seemed ok (somewhat downhill to the pan, but maybe i need to adjust it more).... Any input/advice would be appreciated. THanks
Old 04-19-2006, 08:17 PM
brokeazz

maybe bad turbo seals?
didnt you buy the PETT used? if so, you should have had the turbos inspected/rebuilt before you installed it just to make sure everything is ok.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:28 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

i second the turbo seals diagnoses...if you can pull some of the piping off the turbo (very difficult to do with the turbos in the car, but doable), you can inspect the turbine shaft for any lateral play, this will serve as a good indicator if the seals are compromised...
good luck

also, is the smoke seen at idle, under boost, on deceleration?
Old 04-20-2006, 01:25 AM
BKMC

I got the kit used, but the turbos were rebuilt and basically new when they arrived.... i dont think it could be the seal....

EDIT: After doing some reading, ive decided to empty about .5 quarts of oil and make sure the return line has a good downhill line... hopefully this is it!

Last edited by BKMC; 04-20-2006 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:05 PM
PhreeZe

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
also, is the smoke seen at idle, under boost, on deceleration?
The smoke is usually seen under boost and deceleration. SOMETIMES at idle but thats only after coming to a stop. Any other solutions? I cannot think of anything else but the turbo... The turbo's were rebuilt.

Jason
Old 04-21-2006, 07:42 PM
350dgrz

Off topic...Is it fast enough for you? Did you dyno/tune it? Details, details! Hope all goes well.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:50 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by PhreeZe
The smoke is usually seen under boost and deceleration. SOMETIMES at idle but thats only after coming to a stop. Any other solutions? I cannot think of anything else but the turbo... The turbo's were rebuilt.

Jason
try pulling your plugs and see how they look. hopefully you don't have any oil on them. If so you have bigger problems. good luck.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:18 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by PhreeZe

Jason
sounds like turbo seals, i had very similar symptoms when my turbo seals went bad... when you installed the kit, did you disconnect the fuel and crank over several times to pre-lube the turbos? This process helps prevent turbo seal destruction...alos, were the turbos properly broken in(mild friving forst 100miles or so)--avoiding boost

Like Gman suggested, you can check the plugs for oil, this would inform you if you are facing a more serious issue, such as piston failure/ring failure/ valve stem seal issues...if this was the case it would smoke during acceleration as well, more than likely

do a leakdown test, this will ensure stability of the engine's internals. if it is the turbos, unfortunately, you'll have to pull them off and send them out to be rebuilt

hope that helps

TODD
Old 04-22-2006, 08:32 AM
BKMC

Todd,

I dont recall disconnecting the fuel and cranking over... we started her up and let it idle for a while. As for breakin in the turbo, i guess i didnt baby it, but i didnt redline it or push it too hard at all. I have the utec, but i am running on stock ecu before it gets tuned at around 3-4psi. In fact, i barely even hit 4 psi.

I think the next step for me is to take off some of the turbo piping and checking to see if there is any play on the turbo shaft. If so, i believe the turbo's have a 6 month warranty after rebuild..