Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

VRT/JWT 800 WHP / One More Time...My Daily.... - :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doug
the tone of your posts just seem to project.. "if i didn't figure it out.. no way its possible"

Well, I don't mean to come across that way - with the limited information that has been provided it's hard to believe.

I and several others have been there and done that and we weren't successful - single Walbro just ran out of steam at high rpms above 650hp - even with a full return system... Granted, we're way past that now and have fuel systems to support 1000+hp now.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
just noticed that the dynograph,in the margins,shows flywheel hp and flywheel tq..but you claimed wheelhp/tq..please explain.

should we subtract 15-20% drivetrain loss? then you are making a little over 600whp...this would make more sense, but than again, you have left us hanging on the pertinent details
That's just the way the dynopacks print out - no worries.

I partially agree with Philthy's arguement, and will be checking out the article in sports compact to get full details.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:20 AM
q8pianist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the VQ have power that we dont know about, keep up the good work.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:44 AM
MIAPLAYA

All Dynapacks print saying "Flywheel HP" and torque but its measures at the wheel hubs. This is pretty common. As for the Walbro and the JWT fuel system I have had my doubts and I won't lie about that but I've watched them dyno a car on 116 with a Walbro 255 lph, NO FUEL RETURN system, and 440 cc injectors at 500 HP and 56X ft/lb of Tq. I was right there and watched it pull three times. And if you think I'm a VRT nutswinger do a search on my prior posts about them. Mike will gladly tell you I was not a fan in the early days. I'll admit these guys did pull it together though and have delivered on their promises. They do in fact track their cars more then some people breathe. All the being said my question here is what is the ramp up ratio on the Dynapack. How much actual load is being applied to the the Dynapack units at the beginning of the dyno. It seems as if they are heavily loading the dyno at the beginning of the run giving you somewhat inflated tq numbers. I noticed in the video before you were even accelerating you already had the boost gauge pegged at 20 PSI. Again I'm not saying the car didn't make the power. I'm just curious if Jim and Clark aren't adding more load then others would during the run to get faster boost ramp up time...
Old 04-21-2006, 10:50 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

^^^Thank you MIAPLAYA. He is one of the ex-VRT doubters that took it upon himself to go check it out in person, which I highly suggest to anybody with doubts. If thats my car he is talking about watching on the dyno, then it pulled 530whp and 626wtq, and later dynoed 554whp and 690wtq with the same fuel system as mentioned above. All we did was swap the Injen SES dual exhaust for the SVRTech 3" dual and re-tuned it.

Again, I suggest anybody who lives in or near San Diego should high tail it to JWT right now if they want to see an 800whp street car on the dyno in person.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:53 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by 350ZNV
^^^Thank you MIAPLAYA. He is one of the ex-VRT doubters that took it upon himself to go check it out in person, which I highly suggest to anybody with doubts. If thats my car he is talking about watching on the dyno, then it pulled 530whp and 626wtq, and later dynoed 554whp and 690wtq with the same fuel system as mentioned above. All we did was swap the Injen SES dual exhaust for the SVRTech 3" dual and re-tuned it.

Again, I suggest anybody who lives in or near San Diego should high tail it to JWT right now if they want to see an 800whp street car on the dyno in person.
You are correct. Sorry I did not recall the exact numbers the car put down but it was amazing to see none-the-less. And I also talked at length with Jim Wolf about the fuel system and what he was doing. I still find myself shaking my head at the power he has produced from 440s, a single Walbro 255, and no reutrn system. My mind doesn't want to believe its possible but I watched it happen so I know it is. And I know you track your car so I know it works on the track too. I guess thats why Jim can charge so much...
Old 04-21-2006, 11:10 AM
RnRRacing

Michael, I think all of the Internet would love some videos of your VRT 800hp G35 vs. RnR 800hp EVO. I think it would make for some great entertainment for sure. We could do some highways pulls so it would be more even then going from a stop.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:27 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
You are correct. Sorry I did not recall the exact numbers the car put down but it was amazing to see none-the-less. And I also talked at length with Jim Wolf about the fuel system and what he was doing. I still find myself shaking my head at the power he has produced from 440s, a single Walbro 255, and no reutrn system. My mind doesn't want to believe its possible but I watched it happen so I know it is. And I know you track your car so I know it works on the track too. I guess thats why Jim can charge so much...
The way I see it, is Jim Wolf and Clark are WAY smarter than me when it comes to things of this matter. When shopping around for F/I, I didn't look at the technical aspect as much as I looked at real world proof. Since I track my car alot, when I found VRT, I was more than impressed with what they were doing with their cars, so I went with them. I am really happy that they work so closely with JWT and love the fact that Jim Wolf and Clark themselves were the ones tuning my car. To me, having 4 or 5 VRT built JWT TT equipped cars together at a track getting beat up all day is plenty of real world proof.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:54 AM
EM-EFER

Originally Posted by RnRRacing
Michael, I think all of the Internet would love some videos of your VRT 800hp G35 vs. RnR 800hp EVO. I think it would make for some great entertainment for sure. We could do some highways pulls so it would be more even then going from a stop.
That would be awsome.

MRATURBO
One question.... Why are your numbers so much higher then what the guys at performance Nissan are making? I figured Vinny Ten would have some tricks up his sleeve to make just as much HP/TQ.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:59 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by EM-EFER
That would be awsome.

MRATURBO
One question.... Why are your numbers so much higher then what the guys at performance Nissan are making? I figured Vinny Ten would have some tricks up his sleeve to make just as much HP/TQ.
Again, this is a modified JWT kit, not the same kit that Vinny Ten is getting. I am sure he will come up with something soon as well though. He has only had the kits for a short amount of time.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:36 PM
Navygolf13

Where are the numbers from today???? I would agree with 350NV, I was under the impression these things could not be done without return fuel and some other things, however, I have had my car for almost three months and I have been to Buttonwillow and Laguna Seca and the car is a champ!! VRT is the real deal. Anyone with doubts needs to make arrangements to see their cars at tracks whenever they can.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:08 PM
RnRRacing

I was down there today at the dyno. It is a REAL CAR!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 01:22 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Just got word that their pull today maxed out Jim's dyno lol. They have to re-calibrate something on it so it can handle the torque and hopefully get one more pull in before the car has to head out to Vegas.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:40 PM
booger

Can any one say if these cars are having head lifting problems ? Or over heating problems ? If not , can some one tell us what is being done to over come the problem ? Can some one tell us , what head gaskets , head studs , and what the trq. on the studs are ? Looks like JWT has sovled any problems with it already at 20psi , so the info is out there and would be in the best intrest of every one if that info was known
Old 04-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Originally Posted by booger
Can any one say if these cars are having head lifting problems ? Or over heating problems ? If not , can some one tell us what is being done to over come the problem ? Can some one tell us , what head gaskets , head studs , and what the trq. on the studs are ? Looks like JWT has sovled any problems with it already at 20psi , so the info is out there and would be in the best intrest of every one if that info was known
Based on everything that I've read to date - they are only running high boost on the dyno and then turn it down on the street and track. I would agree that anything over 500-550whp is a lot for street driving - they're also not dragging the cars so it's also plenty for a road course track.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:53 PM
350Z33

Originally Posted by Philthy
Well, I don't mean to come across that way - with the limited information that has been provided it's hard to believe.

I and several others have been there and done that and we weren't successful - single Walbro just ran out of steam at high rpms above 650hp - even with a full return system... Granted, we're way past that now and have fuel systems to support 1000+hp now.
Well you could've just said that you couldn't get past 650hp with a Walbro and asked how he is making more than that with a single Walbro. It just sounded like you were calling him a liar, like he has a hidden fuel pump or something. What would anyone gain by lying about a fuel pump?

I also thought he mentioned that he ran more voltage to the Walbro, did you try that?

So what month will this beast be in SCC? I've not had a subscription for a LONG time and I have to pick this issue up.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:57 PM
booger

Running 20psi on a dyno isnt going to stop head lifting if nothing was done to address the problem to begin with . Chit ..I think Im getting head lift @ 13psi with my SC . And once its starts its not going to go away and will happen sooner [ less psi ] the more the car is boosted
Old 04-21-2006, 02:11 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Running 20psi on a dyno isnt going to stop head lifting if nothing was done to address the problem to begin with . Chit ..I think Im getting head lift @ 13psi with my SC . And once its starts its not going to go away and will happen sooner [ less psi ] the more the car is boosted
You can release all loads placed on the car with a Dynopack dyno and place less stress on the motor. Or on the flip side, you can load that puppy up.

Many didn't experience head lift on the dyno, and then did when blasting down the highway at full tilt - just ask Sharif and a bunch others on here. I know that they had some 1/2" head studs going there way, and that would certainly fix the head lift problem.

Listen - I'm not calling anyone a liar, and with the limited information that was posted, it's very fair for someone to ask some qualifying questions. They can't release all of what's really going on until the article comes out - fair enough.

Again, no way in HELL someone’s going to make 1000HP on a single in tank Walbro, that was my point all along.

Last edited by Philthy; 04-21-2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:20 PM
booger

Originally Posted by Philthy
You can release all loads placed on the car with a Dynopack dyno and place less stress on the motor. Or on the flip side, you can load that puppy up.

Many didn't experience head lift on the dyno, and then did when blasting down the highway at full tilt - just ask Sharif and a bunch others on here.

Listen - I'm not calling anyone a liar, and with the limited information that was posted, it's very fair for someone to ask some qualifying questions. They can't release all of what's really going on until the article comes out - fair enough.

Again, no way in HELL someone’s going to make 1000HP on a single in tank Walbro, that was my point all along.
Come to think about it . I think the first time it happened to me was when we did the power curve run on the Mustang Dyno . When tons of load is put on it . But it does it now...even off the dyno
Old 04-21-2006, 02:22 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Come to think about it . I think the first time it happened to me was when we did the power curve run on the Mustang Dyno . When tons of load is put on it . But it does it now...even off the dyno

Yep - that would exactly be the case... Once it happens, it just keeps happening and gets worse until you replace the head gasket.

Quick Reply: VRT/JWT 800 WHP / One More Time...My Daily.... - :)