Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Valve body upgrade/ cant shift gears????

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 04:11 PM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Valve body upgrade/ cant shift gears????

Whats up guys, I am posting for my buddy Bobafettm he is down at the dragon right now and his car just gave out. He cant shift gears, his car starts out if 5th gear and wont shift only goes to park neutral and reverse also the display doesnt show gears. Tried a reboot and didnt work.... anybody know the problem?

MODS please leave in FI it was installed with a built motor and fI and this forum has the most expert advice.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:26 PM
Fairlady_z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most likely his tranny went out maybe all the clutchpacks r worn out and fifth might be the only ok one does it drive at all like move forward or nothing.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:33 PM
jawbone

Originally Posted by D350Z10
Whats up guys, I am posting for my buddy Bobafettm he is down at the dragon right now and his car just gave out. He cant shift gears, his car starts out if 5th gear and wont shift only goes to park neutral and reverse also the display doesnt show gears. Tried a reboot and didnt work.... anybody know the problem?

MODS please leave in FI it was installed with a built motor and fI and this forum has the most expert advice.

Thanks in advance.
I would be thinking maybe one of the connectors for the VB came loose. BTW whose upgrade is it?
Old 05-18-2006, 05:09 PM
roneski

Originally Posted by jawbone
I would be thinking maybe one of the connectors for the VB came loose. BTW whose upgrade is it?
+1 My 1-2 shift is a little odd and it has me paranoid.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:36 AM
vq35carel

I know for sure its the clutch packs, I have the same setup and on my 3rd transmission within 3500 miles, Im working on a custom built transmission with a sponsor of this site. So there should be somthing available as an upgrade soon.If he would just like to rebuild the transmission have him pm me. I have access to clutch packs that are not available to the general public.To explain when the clutch packs go out they disolve and get towrn to sh@* that in turns clogs the transmission oil filter thus loosing presure to the valve body thus you can not shift and no gears are available. I f you let the car sit for awhile somtimes and I mea somtimes it will clear the filter and you will be able to drive for about few miles if that and it will lock up again.
The problem with the 5at and high horse power is the input piston is not large enough to engage the clutch plates fully as well not enough preasure , but most people are trying to get around this by using a valve body but that only solves half the problem and creates more issues if the clutch packs are made of stock material which is almost like cardboard they can not handle the preasure and the force the small input piston is now putting them and you may fell some slipping at high rpm in one or several gears this is the sign that its going slippage beteen the clutch plates have occured and they start to tear each other apart.SOLUTION: UPGRADE CLUTCH PACKS TO HIGH GRADE MATERIAL----LARGER INPUT PISTION AND DRUM TO RETAIN IT---TEFLON BANDS-----AND VALVE BODY UPGRADE ---TORQUE CONVERTER LAST........
Old 05-19-2006, 06:08 AM
roneski

What kind of power were you making when the tranny went? Anyone with a failed tranny feel free to answer.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:33 AM
Yancy

Originally Posted by roneski
What kind of power were you making when the tranny went? Anyone with a failed tranny feel free to answer.
It's not D350Z10's car that is having the problem, but a friend of ours. I know he just had his engine built and just got the car back earlier this week, put miles on it, then had it tuned to around 500 rwhp. That's about all I know on it.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:19 AM
roncfpz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jawbone
+1.....would like to know which VB upgrade?
Old 05-19-2006, 11:03 AM
35X

This is exactly what happened to me but I'm not pushing nearly that much hp. I'm at 310 whp. Getting an SGP VB upgrade and TC. Do you think that's enough or will I eventually need to get a rebuild with clutchpacks?
Old 05-19-2006, 04:15 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

It sounded like D350Z10 already had the VB upgrade (but of unknown origin!) and the transmission still went out.

310 WHP is kinda low for tranny trouble. Thought the transmission was the same as in the Q45 and it was good for 350 at the crank, stock.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:23 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by roncfpz
+1.....would like to know which VB upgrade?
It's a Level10 VB upgrade. I am up here with him at ZDAYZ and we got everything all sorted out. When his tranny overheats, it shuts down. He has a custom rear mounted trans cooler upgrade that is situated very close to his exhuast system. This might be contributing to the overheat issues. Once the tranny cools down, it runs fine.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:19 AM
roncfpz

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
It's a Level10 VB upgrade. I am up here with him at ZDAYZ and we got everything all sorted out. When his tranny overheats, it shuts down. He has a custom rear mounted trans cooler upgrade that is situated very close to his exhuast system. This might be contributing to the overheat issues. Once the tranny cools down, it runs fine.
Thanks for the info Sharif. Wish I was up there myself right now.